ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

x-dsl's native install script and the boot process details should get you started.

Since you have cromwell flashed, things should be simpler. I was trying to rewrite the install script at one stage to make it friendly with the xbpartitioner style partition table but didn't get it working and gave up trying.

Good luck.

#32 Cio

Cio

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

Thanks, but I guess Cromwell 2.40 cannot boot from non-fatx partitions other then CD-ROM and F. I'll need a properly updated Cromwell. Perhaps the GentooX Loader will help, or try and dig up 2.40-rc2.

Also, I'm too sleepy to turn the x-dsl-0.71.2.zip into a bootable dvd. After 2 coasters I used Xdsl0.7beta0.05.iso to test the partitioning/cromwell compatiblity. Would you like specific feedback on the installation process of 0.71.2 aswell, or is functional testing enough?

#33 Cio

Cio

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

I found that the native install script fails completely unless I pre-partition and format manually. Not at all a problem related to Cromwell. The info from the pages you linked was useful, but faulty. This is what worked for me.

*starting with a clean HD booting from X-DSL live CD "Xdsl0.7beta0.05.iso" using the partitioning page as source*
fidsk
N -> P -> 1 -> +256m -> T -> 82 (for swap, same as Partitioning page you linked)
N -> P -> 2 -> +2000m -> T -> 83 -> A -> 2 (for the native install. notice type/system setting!)
W for commit

mkswap /dev/hda1 (this seems to work)

mkfs claims to run on hda2, but has no effect. creating a 3rd partition shows mkfs will error on newly created partitions without a reboot (Can you reload partition tables manually? Probably, but rebooting was faster for me). The native install script doesn't see this and writes into hda2, but this data disappears.

After a reboot I continued:
mkfs - t ext3 /dev/hda2
fsck -f -y /dev/hda2

Now hda2 is properly formatted and I could start a native install from the DSL menu. Data is actually written to hda2 now. The script does not create a linuxboot.cfg file. I did not test to reboot without manually adding one, assuming it is required for Cromwell to boot from any location.

Thanks for the help so far ldotsfan! I'll try and get a bootable cd from your latest .zip then let you know if anything weird happens.

Edited by Cio, 19 May 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#34 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Any kind of feedback is good. The x-dsl archive also has the iso remastering details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users