3 replies to this topic

#1 norite

norite

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Is there a preferred method of removing/dissolving/cutting loose the epoxy around the cpu and gpu chips? I have some 360's I want to reball with lead solder, but I need to get this epoxy off first.

#2 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE(norite @ May 19 2010, 02:30 PM) View Post

Is there a preferred method of removing/dissolving/cutting loose the epoxy around the cpu and gpu chips? I have some 360's I want to reball with lead solder, but I need to get this epoxy off first.

It is easy actually. This epoxy start to be flexible and easy to peal out when it gets around 110C-120C. So I use a preheater at 140C and with a wooden or plastic toothpick, slowly remove it without damaging the board or the chips. It takes usually 2-4mins to do it. Other way is using a heat gun and then the toothpick to remove it. It is up to you smile.gif

#3 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

The GPU will lift with or without it in place, I find it easier to clean up after the GPU is removed.

#4 norite

norite

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(relaxxx @ May 19 2010, 05:51 PM) View Post

The GPU will lift with or without it in place, I find it easier to clean up after the GPU is removed.

Really? That's crazy! I thought the whole point of the epoxy was to fix the gpu in place to the mobo...

Thanks for the replies. I'll get started. I've got a few dead mobo's i can practise on first tho smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users