2 replies to this topic

#1 hcf

hcf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

I have seen a parameter in the settings of dosxbox named "Cycles", that represent the speed of the emulated CPU, and I see that its default value is 3000.

I have tried to put a higher value, and in fact the game (that was originally playing slowly) was faster now. I would like to know... is there any "maximum value" for this parameter? Do I have to take care because a high value can damage something? I have this doubt because in the PC version I usually play with the "Auto" value, but in the Xbox versions this "Auto" value is not available.

In any case, I must say that the most part of the old games work perfectly with 3000 cicles smile.gif

#2 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

To put it in very basic terms; the higher you increase the cycles, the more powerful a CPU you are emulating. Increasing it will make your games faster up until the point where the emulation becomes more than the Xbox itself can handle at which point the emulator will start to struggle. At this point you can either lower the cycles or increase frameskip. I find most games that need a boost are ok up to about 5000 cycles but the Xbox can't really take much more than that.

#3 hcf

hcf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

Thank you Likklebaer! That's what I needed to know. I was afraid to put a very high value and break something. In fact, in my tests I tried until 10,000 cycles, and I saw abnormal things biggrin.gif

By the way, I have seen that dosxbox cannot save states! It says that this is not implemented. Would it be difficult to do it? At first, I was thinking that this could be similar to save states in the rest of the emulators, but now I see that each emulator has emulated a different environment, so it has to save a different number of variables and parameters. Maybe saving states in dosxbox is more difficult than saving states in neogenesis or mednafenx...

In any case, I would like to write this. In case someone is willing to upgrade dosxbox, saving states is a point that it would be nice to have in a future version. Well, saving states and also LOADING THEM, of course!! wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users