hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

I have a 1.1/1.2 xbox that is booting to an 16 error code, i know its the clock setting problem but this xbox i have just bought and is possibly softmodded and all the tut's i've read to fix the 16 error is for chipped box's.
Not sure how to fix this without doing a hdd rebuild using xboxhdm if that is possible ?

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

As you suggested, you need to hotswap, then use either xboxhdm or Xplorer360 beta 6 to replace the softmod with Kingroach NDURE 3.1.

#3 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 24 2010, 10:22 PM) View Post

As you suggested, you need to hotswap, then use either xboxhdm or Xplorer360 beta 6 to replace the softmod with Kingroach NDURE 3.1.

Yeah i was just being lazy, i had a crappy pc with xboxhdm disc already in the cdrom so i just rebuilt the c partition and its all good- softmodded it and will tsop flash it tomorrow.

#4 spectrumx

spectrumx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

I'm having the same problem I have tried everything. I got a box from a friend that he found in a house that was being redone. I have no idea what this box has been through. I know it has never had its case crack up but thats about it. It comes up with a error 16. I have tried changing out the Ide cable that did nothing. I have tryed to do a hot swap on it a few times with no success. xboxhdm kept coming back that the drive was locked. The weirdest thing is it comes up with a error 16 but everything that I'm seeing leads me to be that the hard drive is not being unlocked if that's the case it should come up with a diffrent error shouldnt it? I even tryed using and old modchip I had laying around that didnt work. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong eprom. I'm no XS Filter - 062508 - filtered. but I have been refurbishing, repairing and modding xboxes for six years and I just can't figure this one out...

#5 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:38 AM

Never been entirely sure whether error 16 overides faulty-HDD-type errors. I assume it does, but I've never been sure (the easy way to test would be to attach a locked drive from another console - I'd be interested to know what error that caused). The system relocks the drive once it throws that error screen, so there's a bit of timing involved when hotswapping...

#6 spectrumx

spectrumx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

I attached an unlock hard drive to it when I was playing with my modchip and kept on getting an error 5. I'm having troubles with the mod chip I baught it a long time ago and I'm not sure if it still works. In addition to that it is a solder less modchip so im thinking its not making good contact with the LPC port. I also keep wondering to my self if the flash memory of the mod chip is corrupt. I'm not sure how stable the memory is, I flashed over 6 years ago. So I'm thinking that this maybe a failed softmod and the person that was doing it may have left it unplugged for more than 5 hours producing and error 16 code. I am probably going to do one of two things first I'm going to solder the modchip to the motherboard and if that doesn't work I think what I may build a eprom reader. I looked up the parts it would only cost about 12 bucks to make. That way I can get the hard drive key from the eprom and lock my rebuilt drive to the mother board. It's just mess I don't know If I even want to spend the time continuing to repair it I already have a ton of time put into it...

Edited by spectrumx, 02 June 2010 - 02:25 PM.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

Error 5 means your chip almost certainly isn't working, and your Xbox is booting the MS BIOS.

You are correct - error 16 is generally a failed softmod, with no MS dash, and left unpowered for a few hours.

Soldering the chip or building an eeprom reader are both viable alternatives if you can't get hotswapping to work.

#8 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,743 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Jun 1 2010, 06:38 PM) View Post

Never been entirely sure whether error 16 overides faulty-HDD-type errors. I assume it does, but I've never been sure (the easy way to test would be to attach a locked drive from another console - I'd be interested to know what error that caused)

it depends on the bios, an xecuter bios will give 16 in that case instead of 06, and IIRC an evox bios will give the correct error 06

#9 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Jun 2 2010, 03:38 AM) View Post

Never been entirely sure whether error 16 overides faulty-HDD-type errors. I assume it does

I second this, and will also assume it does. It would seem to me that most xbox bios' shouldn't be able to tell if the clock is set wrong without first running HD checks (error 7) and then checking lock status (error 5 and 6) on the drive, and in fact, accessing contents on a non-unlockable drive isn't possible so why would anyone code a bios to try it?

In conclusion, I say for sure, error 6 overrides error 16 and possibly, error 5. Not sure about error 7.

EDIT:
QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jun 2 2010, 10:36 PM) View Post

it depends on the bios, an xecuter bios will give 16 in that case instead of 06

This doesn't seem possible to me. How can any xbox bios check the clock on a locked (and non-unlockable) HD?

@spectrumx Check the D0 wire on your solderless adapter to make sure it is making good contact with the DO pad (or it could be touching the wrong pad for your version). Your symptom could indicate this simple fix, and in regards to the hotswap, is sounds to me like the retail kernel is re-locking the drive once error 16 is thrown. If this is the case, you can try the swap before error 16 comes up but that may not work either. The modchip should be your focus.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 03 June 2010 - 01:32 AM.

#10 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Jun 3 2010, 07:43 AM) View Post
This doesn't seem possible to me. How can any xbox bios check the clock on a locked (and non-unlockable) HD?

Simple: It can't. But not because the drive is locked, it's because the time isn't stored there to begin with. Otherwise, how on earth would the console keep track of the time while the HDD is powered down?

It might be worth identifying that "old" modchip. Some really old ones only allow booting unsigned code (as opposed to say, skipping clock or locking checks), if memory serves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users