#1 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

Hello,

Since I've got the Trusty Xbox mostly set up now, I was wondering if people could suggest some different games to throw at it that have typically given you problems speed-wise in the past. I had a few for the X68000 that I've already tried out with great results. I'm very interested in arcade games for CoinOps as a lot of those give people problems.

OK, so please list the emulator/system, the name of the game, and be as specific as possible regarding the slowdown issues you have. For instance, if its a slow game in CoinOps, please list the average FPS. (Hold back and press white button in game) FPS can also be displayed in the Xport emulator. Its on the second page of general settings, just change it to YES.

Best Regards

#2 BlueSlingShot

BlueSlingShot

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:07 AM

I dunno the frame rate off the top of my head...

Coinops-

Outrunners
Jurassic Park
Mortal Kombat
Night Slashers
just to name a few.

FBL-

Mostly all the Sega 16 games on the newer more accurate core
AB Cop
Rail Chase, etc. Try those out and max out software filters.

What really seems to hurt on the stock xbox (for me anyway unless my config isn't right in the emu) is GBA games strecthed to fullscreen on 720p. This is without any filters too..
Try The metroid games, and Castlevania games Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow. HOD yields me serious slowdown right in the beginning scene when the giant Armor Knight starts chasing you.

I would also try the highest quality software filters on some emus in hd resolution if you have an HDTV.

If all of this stuff works at 60 fps i might consider getting one of these specially made xbox's.

#3 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hi,

OK, I'll test these this week. I did test out all the MKs in CoinOps. With sound enabled, they runs at a solid 53 frames per second.

More updates soon.

Edited by DarthMingus, 26 May 2010 - 01:33 PM.

#4 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:01 AM

OK, first round of GBA testing, results as follows:

Metroid Fusion
, stock Xbox running 480p, frameskip set to 0 = 43 FPS with stuttering sound

Metroid Fusion
, upgraded Xbox running 1080i, frameskip set to 0 = 60 FPS.

The sound was good, but 'tinny' This more than likely has to either deal with this being a GBA game or an issue with how the sound is emulated. No speed issues present, runs smooth.

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, stock Xbox running 480p, frameskip set to 0 = 59.7 FPS mostly.

At the end of the giant armor knight chase when he falls into the moat, it drops to 50-51 FPS and the sound stutters. This seems to be caused by effects such as fire and whatnot. Happens throughout the game as well. Overall, this ran better than I was expecting. Maybe take a look at your settings.

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

No speed issues present, runs smooth.

Overall, filters didn't seem to have an effect one way or another. I suggest not using them though, with perfect pixel settings, its pointless. biggrin.gif

Any others you want me to test? I haven't gotten around to MAME yet.

#5 BlueSlingShot

BlueSlingShot

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE(DarthMingus @ Jun 1 2010, 01:01 AM) View Post

OK, first round of GBA testing, results as follows:

Metroid Fusion
, stock Xbox running 480p, frameskip set to 0 = 43 FPS with stuttering sound

Metroid Fusion

The sound was good, but 'tinny' This more than likely has to either deal with this being a GBA game or an issue with how the sound is emulated. No speed issues present, runs smooth.

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, stock Xbox running 480p, frameskip set to 0 = 59.7 FPS mostly.

At the end of the giant armor knight chase when he falls into the moat, it drops to 50-51 FPS and the sound stutters. This seems to be caused by effects such as fire and whatnot. Happens throughout the game as well. Overall, this ran better than I was expecting. Maybe take a look at your settings.

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

No speed issues present, runs smooth.

Overall, filters didn't seem to have an effect one way or another. I suggest not using them though, with perfect pixel settings, its pointless. biggrin.gif

Any others you want me to test? I haven't gotten around to MAME yet.

No that's cool....what's this perfect pixel setting? I don't even know what it does. If you wouldn't mind telling me how much did he charge you to build you an upgraded 'box?

#6 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Perfect pixel doubles, triples or sometimes quadruples the original resolution of the game. This enables the emulator to maintain pixel integrity, aka: no blocky distortion, in games. The software filters like billinear are used to hide this sort of distortion.

Trusty's prices are VERY reasonable for what he does. Once you see the board, its pretty insane. He literally took up the stock CPU, somehow put in a CPU socket, created a daughtercard for the new CPU, attached it to the 1.4 P3 and then linked it all together. Also included is a custom aluminum heatsink. He also put down 4 new RAM chips. Here is a breakdown:

OPTION 1: V1.1 complete board (TSOP flashed with X2_4983) 1.4G/512K+128M: $220

OPTION 2: Send your board in to get the upgrade to 1.4G/512K+128M: $175, Working time: max 4 days

OPTION 2: Send your board in to get the upgrade to 1.4G/512K, no 128 upgrade: $160, Working time: max 4 days

The prices include postage cost for DHL and shipping is VERY fast. I think I paid on a Thursday and I got it the following Monday.

It may sound like a lot for an Xbox 1, but its not for the amount of work involved. Also, Trusty is a GREAT guy. He helped me out when I first got the board a LOT and was very patient. It turns out, it was my own fault for locking my hard drive. No point to this anymore now that XBOX Live is dead.

Anyway, how about PSX games? Do any of these give people problems with framerates?

Edited by DarthMingus, 06 June 2010 - 08:19 PM.

#7 robot3

robot3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:13 AM

How about a regular xbox game? The game Jaws unleashed used to slowdown a lot playing from disc as well as off the hdd

#8 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:29 AM

Hmm, don't have that game. I don't really have much interest in regular Xbox games. biggrin.gif

#9 robot3

robot3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

ehh no big deal then. Shortly I plan on getting trusty's mod for the emulation reasons, but will try Jaws because in certain spots it had some wicked lag

#10 BlueSlingShot

BlueSlingShot

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(DarthMingus @ Jun 6 2010, 08:18 PM) View Post

Perfect pixel doubles, triples or sometimes quadruples the original resolution of the game. This enables the emulator to maintain pixel integrity, aka: no blocky distortion, in games. The software filters like billinear are used to hide this sort of distortion.

Trusty's prices are VERY reasonable for what he does. Once you see the board, its pretty insane. He literally took up the stock CPU, somehow put in a CPU socket, created a daughtercard for the new CPU, attached it to the 1.4 P3 and then linked it all together. Also included is a custom aluminum heatsink. He also put down 4 new RAM chips. Here is a breakdown:

OPTION 2: Send your board in to get the upgrade to 1.4G/512K+128M: $175, Working time: max 4 days

OPTION 2: Send your board in to get the upgrade to 1.4G/512K, no 128 upgrade: $160, Working time: max 4 days

The prices include postage cost for DHL and shipping is VERY fast. I think I paid on a Thursday and I got it the following Monday.

It may sound like a lot for an Xbox 1, but its not for the amount of work involved. Also, Trusty is a GREAT guy. He helped me out when I first got the board a LOT and was very patient. It turns out, it was my own fault for locking my hard drive. No point to this anymore now that XBOX Live is dead.

Anyway, how about PSX games? Do any of these give people problems with framerates?

Hmmm...try C: A Contra Adventure, not the 2d levels, but the 3d levels with lot's of enemies onscreen. I think I remember in the pcsxbox compatibility list that it slows so much in these levels that it renders the game unplayable.

On a side note though, do regular xbox games run with much better framerates if there patched with the 1.4 cpu or do they just run slow cause of shitty coding? I'll tell you, the HL 2 port ran slow on xbox. So did Doom 3 and a couple of other games.

And yes, so did the abyssmal Jaws game happy.gif

Just curious.

#11 robot3

robot3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:57 AM

hmm the original Fallout game running on dosbox crawled during loading screens but kind of worked. If you have this setup and the game it would be another interresting title to try

#12 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hi,

I never tried DOSbox. I bought Fallout 1/2 on Steam last year. If RX makes a set, maybe I'll give it a go. I was never that keen on playing computer emulators on the XBOX since it seems more natural to do that on a computer. (Except for X68000) biggrin.gif

#13 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:54 AM

Some CoinOps Results:

NARC - Sound on, steady 57 FPS (Stock is about 4 FPS)

ELEVATOR ACTION 2 - Steady 60 FPS (Stock is about 30-40 FPS and frame skipping needs to be enabled)

Great results in my opinion, especially with NARC. biggrin.gif

Any suggestions for CoinOps (or FBL)

#14 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE(DarthMingus @ Jun 7 2010, 03:18 AM) View Post

Hmm, someone should probably tell him not to use that BIOS. It ignores XBPartitioner's custom partitions, and bad things happen if you try to install a decent-sized hard drive (as in "wipe all your data" bad). Could use 4981 or 5035 instead, or perhaps an IND BIOS.

#15 DarthMingus

DarthMingus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:07 AM

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, here are the results:

Outrunners: solid 60 FPS
Jurassic Park: solid 60 FPS (the screen 'shakes' when you get hit, but I think that was a coded part of the game)
Night Slashers: solid 60 FPS

QUOTE(BlueSlingShot @ May 25 2010, 11:07 PM) View Post

I dunno the frame rate off the top of my head...

Coinops-

Outrunners
Jurassic Park
Mortal Kombat
Night Slashers
just to name a few.

Thanks for the heads up, I let him know. I actually had 5035 put on there.

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Jun 10 2010, 10:49 PM) View Post

Hmm, someone should probably tell him not to use that BIOS. It ignores XBPartitioner's custom partitions, and bad things happen if you try to install a decent-sized hard drive (as in "wipe all your data" bad). Could use 4981 or 5035 instead, or perhaps an IND BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users