7urrican

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

forgive me if i sound a bit dim, but i want to be sure i'm right about this. This bit in the marvellous 360 flash dump tool 0.94:

IPB Image

this looks like you can finally set the thresholds for the fans ramping up; so it looks like there are maybe 7 fan levels, and with these settings:

Level 1: 0 - 79C
Level 2: 80 - 82C
Level 3: 83 - 84C
Level 4: 85 - 99C
Level 5: 100 - 109C
Level 6: 110 - 116C
Level 7: ≥117C

am i on the right track? does anyone have any good ideas for configuring this for best operation? i suppose that depends on how hot your box runs. im thinking i want it to start ramping when it gets above 50, with maybe 80 making it go full pelt.

for me this is really good news - no need to have the fans running full blast all the time biggrin.gif

#2 juggahax0r

juggahax0r

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:28 AM

I don't think a whole lot of people have messed with this feature.

You should give it a go and see how it works , then write us up a tutorial or just report back with what you found. I personally just edited my config too have the fan run at 75% , in my opinion it is about keeping the system running as cool possible and picking a fan speed would be easier than adjusting it and tweaking the various temp settings to get the desired result.

Play around with it and report back , I would be a little leary of trying brand new features but that is how they get tested.

#3 Grim187

Grim187

X-S Freak

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:22 AM

117C, that would be 242.6F which is probably where the 360 turns off, ive tested the heatsinks up around 215 when it whet 2 red lights.

my question is who did this fan controller? did they think they where working on a car? or where they just brain dead?

you should start with about 35 and end at about 70 if you can control by altering those temps.

#4 7urrican

7urrican

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

I too have set my speed to a fixed value (60%), but then after playing a game I looked at the temps and was shocked to see the GPU at 95C! This is obviously due to my cooling and heat sinks not being great (working on that now). With it being this hot, Id want my fans to be going as crazy as possible to get rid of the heat. If we can understand how this temp setting works, you can still have your fans at 75% most of the time, but when an emergency happens for whatever reason (blocked vent, cat sat behind fans etc.), your fans will automatically go insane. I think thatd be really cool!

The other thing is that I am quite fussed about all the noise, especially when Im using it for films. If I can quiet it down when it doesnt need to be running full pelt thatd be ideal.

Anyway, I dont think my description above is right, because the difference between the values just doesnt make any logical sense! If anyone has any better ideas about how it might actually work Id love to hear them.

As soon as I have some decent cooling (Im working with ex-RRoD boxes so its imperative I get that sorted first) I will experiment

#5 juggahax0r

juggahax0r

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

I understand what you mean by ex-RROD but both of my boxes are repaired Xenons , i actually favor the Xenon MB don't ask why but i have always had luck with them (knocks on wood). I will be adding a little post on my website today about some mods i have done to my Jtagged system. I just added a fan off an old P2 the other night , I hooked up a pin header to the unpopulated header on the front of the board , that little fan is quiet at 12v and it keeps it at least 15 degrees F cooler. The fan is just slightly larger than the grill that comes off the heatpipe on the GPU heatsink so i only attached it with 2 of the mounting screws , and i did attach it too the GPU heatpipe grill I thought that would be an effective place since the heat from the GPU heatsink travels up through that and it does work very well. I think it also assists with the CPU a little bit being in such close proximity , i was getting the CPU down too 140F where it is normally 150-155 , I have my fan running at 75% because at 100% the noise is unbearable for me.

I have to do everything in F temps because i am an American and C just doesn't register in my brain , like seeing 45c i can't think of how hot or cool that would be. Anyways my CPU gets up too 150F but my GPU stays at 115 during games and the same with my ram. They were much hotter before I added that tiny fan. But i could have sworn my CPU used to stay much cooler than that.

Edit: I forgot to mention that i upgraded the heatsink on my GPU this is why i have the heatpipe on a Xenon GPU just to clarify that.

Edited by juggahax0r, 26 May 2010 - 06:20 PM.

#6 7urrican

7urrican

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

thanks for the explanation man! yeah its all in C over here rather than F. some one decided that was the way it was gonna be over here at some point before i started school!

i have shome rev 2 GPU heatsinks in te post, as the temps are just too high. then im looking at extra fans which i can poach from work. do you have holes cut in your case above the fans?

could it be that the first 3 values are one fan and the second 3 are the other? so one fan is set to ramp at

080C;083C;085C

and the other:

100C;110C;117C

and if this is right, which is which? and why have one with a lower threshold when the air tunnel (unmodified) shares the air between the two fans?

i'm gonna have to just try this sh1t arent i. its just the 45 minute LPT nand flash i cant be facked with. i'd like to know what these settings mean first

#7 Grim187

Grim187

X-S Freak

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE(7urrican @ May 26 2010, 11:27 AM) View Post

its just the 45 minute LPT nand flash i cant be facked with. i'd like to know what these settings mean first

thats just the config your editing, just flash over the config thats on there.
nandpro lpt: -w16 config.bin 3de 2
should take 5sec.

i have a idea of how those temps are used to control the fans but i will have to test it, probably in the next few days.

#8 7urrican

7urrican

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(Grim187 @ May 27 2010, 01:50 AM) View Post

thats just the config your editing, just flash over the config thats on there.
nandpro lpt: -w16 config.bin 3de 2
should take 5sec.

Thats the way to do it! nice one i didnt think of that.

a guy talks a little bit about it here (account at xboxhacker.org needed) and i think the first 3 temps might be the GPU.

i will test in the next couple of days too and report back here

#9 juggahax0r

juggahax0r

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(7urrican @ May 26 2010, 02:27 PM) View Post

thanks for the explanation man! yeah its all in C over here rather than F. some one decided that was the way it was gonna be over here at some point before i started school!

i have shome rev 2 GPU heatsinks in te post, as the temps are just too high. then im looking at extra fans which i can poach from work. do you have holes cut in your case above the fans?

No i did not make vents yet , this was a 3am i am bored let's mod something mod. I cleaned it up last night. I probably will add a grill in the near future , except i also managed to knock off a MOSFET under the GPU trying to put x-clamps back on it and have to get a new Jtag. I suposse i could do the same to my LIVE box but I don't have a way to check the temps without spending money on a thermometer. That is the second system i have done that too so i am going to stop putting x-clamps back on them.

I am interested to see Grims findings on the temp settings. It's too bad we can't re-encrypt this stuff and use it on non-Jtaggable systems , without the CPU key at least.

I know this is not the place for pictures but here is the rough draft i guess of the tiny fan mod. The electronics wholesaler around here carries fans small enough too attach to the ram ships I am going to try some of them too. This one i just ganked from a P2. I couldn't get the pins to go down into the holes very well but that is a solid and stiff connection none the less , but i am not happy with it coming out of the board that much.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by juggahax0r, 27 May 2010 - 03:48 PM.

#10 SilentBob1638

SilentBob1638

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

Just turn on tooltips and read.

IPB Image

These are Jasper values. I lowered target temps to 52/60/60 that will result in 52/54/56 with additional 5v GPU fan and custom low rpm back fans (and 100% taped shroud). Best temps at 100% are 43/49/51 (without gpu fan). 5v GPU fan will drop around 6-10C.
Delta stock fan values are 45/54/56 at 5.4v (idle). They are oversized for my environment so exchanged them with quieter ones (Noiseblocker XR2 60mm, 50% less RPM and -10mm diameter than delta).

IPB Image IPB Image

The blue upside down GPU cooler (on left picture) was just a test to thermally connect the CPU cooler with the metal plate above it. Temps just got worse and you waste too much thermal paste.

#11 7urrican

7urrican

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

cant believe i didnt see the tooltip! wacko.gif

well thats that then. my boards are all xenons so i guess i'll want the target temps a little hotter. i have fans the right size for the GPU sinks when they arrive, so i think i will be copying your mod and maybe cutting some case holes above them.

then i will experiment and decide on target temps. any ideas what these should be for a properly cooled xenon?

thanks for the help and ideas

#12 Grim187

Grim187

X-S Freak

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

i dont even have the tooltip on mine, weird.

anyways heres the original temps for the different board versions

xenon: 080C;083C;085C - 100C;110C;117C
zephyr: 080C;075C;078C - 100C;100C;102C
falcon: 080C;075C;078C - 100C;100C;102C
jasper: 080C;071C;073C - 095C;090C;092C

xenon v zephyr is kinda odd since the only change is the 90nm gpu was swapped with a 80nm, but they lowered the gpu and ram temps quite a bit.

im gonna try this on a xenon
050C;053C;055C - 075C;073C;078C

#13 juggahax0r

juggahax0r

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE(7urrican @ May 27 2010, 05:11 PM) View Post

cant believe i didnt see the tooltip! wacko.gif

well thats that then. my boards are all xenons so i guess i'll want the target temps a little hotter. i have fans the right size for the GPU sinks when they arrive, so i think i will be copying your mod and maybe cutting some case holes above them.

then i will experiment and decide on target temps. any ideas what these should be for a properly cooled xenon?

thanks for the help and ideas

If you hook up a fan the way i did you have to bridge some points close to it for it to run , their are 2 sets of pads on the bottom side bridging 1 will make it 5v and the other is 12v , I hooked it up as 12v and it is not very loud at all , not with the stock fans running at 75%. It may run without the points bridged but it would be very slow and the noise at 12v is not very noticeable.

If you do add the vents get some pics up , i am looking at tuesday or wednesday of next week before i will have a new Jtag , i suppose i can mod my case still though , but the fans don't run so i can't get a video. I also don't know if i will be getting an HDMI or Xenon board , my case is a Xenon and painted.

#14 Haygar

Haygar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Grim187 @ May 28 2010, 08:05 AM) View Post

i dont even have the tooltip on mine, weird.

anyways heres the original temps for the different board versions

xenon: 080C;083C;085C - 100C;110C;117C
zephyr: 080C;075C;078C - 100C;100C;102C
falcon: 080C;075C;078C - 100C;100C;102C
jasper: 080C;071C;073C - 095C;090C;092C

xenon v zephyr is kinda odd since the only change is the 90nm gpu was swapped with a 80nm, but they lowered the gpu and ram temps quite a bit.

im gonna try this on a xenon
050C;053C;055C - 075C;073C;078C

Settings\Options\Tool tips, also in options you can tick to have files extract compatible for ibuild which should make it easier for freeboot image construction.

SilentBob1638, your temps "Delta stock fan values are 45/54/56 at 5.4v (idle)." is this with the 5v GPU fan?
My GPU readings are 4~5 degrees higher than the edram at any point which is concerning for me as this seems a bit odd in comparison to others, normally the ram is hotter or at best equal to the gpu, not the other wat round? Starting to wonder if the readings in xexmenu/freestyle are a bit misleading for jasperBB.
Just check what sum of the xenons say. eg: 70/45/45, GPU @ 45C for a xenon blink.gif
My comparible temps: 45/59/55

Edited by Haygar, 28 May 2010 - 02:49 PM.

#15 SilentBob1638

SilentBob1638

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(Haygar @ May 28 2010, 03:29 PM) View Post
your temps "Delta stock fan values are 45/54/56 at 5.4v (idle)." is this with the 5v GPU fan?
No, without GPU fan.

Did you used any "donor" nand images (from friends or internet) as source to create your freeboot image? They include individual calibration data. If so, your values may be wrong.

Maybe thermal paste or temp pad is lost under the cooler.

Those 45C Xenon values are aggressive/loud 12V coolings or advanced solutions (like watercooled).

Edited by SilentBob1638, 28 May 2010 - 06:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users