3 replies to this topic

#1 crowncity

crowncity

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

This is the third time my single lens died in my PS3. I did quite a bit of research online about the difference between the single lens and the double lens blue ray drives that Sony pushed out.

To my surprise Sony stopped manufacturing single lens blue ray.. lenses since 2007. That means that this will forever be a big issue for my current PS3.

My question, is it possible to buy a double lens PS3 blue ray drive and just switch the boards? I know that the internals of the two boards both mechanically and technically are different, but I need to use my board seeing how I can't extract the unique keys to make it work on the new one.....

I could not find any information on this, maybe someone on here can help....

#2 chipD

chipD

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

I would like to know this aswell.I have a feeling the controller boards are probably different, but maybe the same chip that contains the key is used and could be swapped.

#3 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

I do not think so has your drive is married to your motherboard with a key

#4 chipD

chipD

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(turbocrow @ Sep 21 2010, 12:54 PM) View Post

I do not think so has your drive is married to your motherboard with a key

Yeah thats why i mentioned a chip swap.But i looked into it and apparently the chip that stores the key is in a bga package and not easy to swap.And the same chip also contains the firmware to control the lens, so a swap from a single lens would render a dual lens useless, and vise-versa.

Only viable solution would be to dump,decrypt,extract,and inject a new key.

I can see this being possible in the near future, but i believe this may need to be done PC side with a special adapter.Unless we get linux back on the ps3 with lv1 access although i read an artical that suggests might only need lv2 access.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users