• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Janglez334

Janglez334

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:42 AM

I'm trying to add some new tabs on Unleashx one for Emulators and the other for XBMC.
like this -

I've read i need to edit my config.xml but i can't seem to find it in my C/ drive when i open my C drive in FlashFXP i see the following.

Audio
bios
fonts
media
shadowc
default.ini
default.xbe
Xbox Book.xtf
Xbox.xtf

But no config.xml is it in a different location? can someone please help me?

Edited by Janglez334, 05 June 2010 - 06:20 AM.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

Why do you think it should be on your C partition?

Have a look on your E partition. Where exactly depends on how your Xbox is modded, and if softmodded which softmod you used, both vital pieces of information you neglected to provide....... but it will only take you a couple of minutes to search around on E, especially if you use the UnleashX file manager instead of FTP.

#3 bLiGhTy

bLiGhTy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Video Games Consoles, Motorbikes , Beer and smoke.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

move the config.xml file somewhere else for safe keeping & reboot your console, unleashx will make a new config.xml that should have an emulator tab to start with. you`ll have to redo all your settings again though.

bLiGhTy.

Edit... just looked at one of my old consoles that has a shadow c and tried my own method to find it replaces it with one without an emulator tab, I`d suggest updating your unleashx to the latest one & it is on the E drive
remember to rename the default.xbe file to evoxdash.xbe.

Edited by bLiGhTy, 05 June 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(bLiGhTy @ Jun 5 2010, 11:30 AM) View Post
just looked at one of my old consoles that has a shadow c and tried my own method to find it replaces it with one without an emulator tab, I`d suggest updating your unleashx to the latest one & it is on the E drive
The standard config doesn't include an Emulator entry. What are you suggesting is "on the E drive"?

QUOTE(bLiGhTy @ Jun 5 2010, 11:30 AM) View Post
remember to rename the default.xbe file to evoxdash.xbe.
Why? The name of the file depends on how his Xbox is modded - different mods use a different name and location for the default dash.

#5 Janglez334

Janglez334

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

Problem solved smile.gif found it in my E partition in the Dash Folder, i thought it was in my C partition because my friend's Xbox with unleashX had his config.xml in his C
Thanks for the help everyone i appreciate it.

#6 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread but this seems an obvious place to ask this.

Where should the config.xml ideally be located? I ask because I was looking through the drives/files on my various softmodded Xboxes and I discovered that the one I didn't do myself initially but had to run Patch 5960 to get working properly has config.xml files on both the C and E drive.

They're both the same size and as far as I can see identical. So does it matter that I have two config.xml files and if so (or in any case) which could/should I delete?

Thanks for any help.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

It depends on which softmod you used. Different softmods look for the dash in different places, and config.xml has to be in the same directory as the dashboard:

E:\Dashboard\default.xbe for Krayzie 1.1.1
E:\Dash\default.xbe for Kingroach NDURE 3.1
E:\evoxdash.xbe for SID 5.1

Edited by Heimdall, 21 August 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#8 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

That's what I thought, on the E drive. It makes sense that the config.xml should be with the main dash .xbe, which in my case is E:\evoxdash.xbe.

Problem is I've checked and I have a evoxdash.xbe on both C and E drives as well as the config.xml files. It's really why I asked the original question. They both load the main dash so it's not a case of someone having renamed another .xbe, they're clearly just copies.

Don't ask me how this happened because I didn't do it, at least not knowingly. The question is does it matter and should I delete the pair on the C drive?

#9 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

Boot your Xbox. Once it's finished booting, press Y then scroll to the bottom of the screen. Phy. Location shows you where UnleashX loaded from - \Device\Harddisk0\PartitionN\xxxxxx where xxxxxx is the path and filename on the partition, and the partitions are N=1=E:\, and N=2=C:\

You can happily delete the copy of evoxdash.xbe that isn't your primary dash.

#10 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

Thanks, I should have thought about looking at that myself. As I expected it does show the path as E:\Harddisk0/Partition1/evoxdash.xbe.

On a very much related matter I've checked the Mod/C Drive and MS Backups on the E drive and whilst the Mod/C Drive Backup is identical to what is on the C Drive the MS Dash actually doesn't have the correct name .xbe. It's shown to use xboxdash.xbe whilst my MS dash on both that machine and the two I softmodded myself is actually msdash.xbe.

I think I must have used the Mod/C drive backup option after the re-install/Patch 5960 which I did to get the original machine fully functional. This is why it matches the existing C drive contents But on the two later 'virgin' Xbox installs I took the advice given here and backed up not only the MS Dash but also the Mod/C Drive prior to the install/Patch 5960.

Consequently not only does the MS Dash Backup have the wrong .xbe on those machines but also the Mod/C Drive Backup.

Clicking on the xboxdash.xbe in the MS Backup it tries to load Online Updater and then hangs. Clicking on the main default.xbe in the Mod/C drive Backup it says something like Online MS Dash and then I get Error 21.

Error 21 was one of the problems I had with the pre-modded Xbox from the start when trying to get the UnleashX dash fully functional. This and other evidence have lead me to believe the installer/SC exploit game saves may have been fiddled with leaving things pointing at the wrong .xbes.

1). The point of all this detail is to ask if it is OK just to delete and replace the offending .xbes in the backups with the correct ones ie. msdash.xbe to replace the incorrect xboxdash.xbe in the MS Backup and evoxdash.xbe for the default.xbe in the Mod/C Drive Backup?

2). Or should I do the same but re-name them to the existing names?

3). In the case of the Mod/C drive I imagine not as it is meant to be a copy of the working C drive so it should just match that. Maybe I should delete the Mod/C Drive Backup file entirely and use the Evox install dash tray out menu to backup the current working C drive as it is. Better idea?

4). But I was wondering if the MS Dash Backup required a specifically named .xbe ie. xboxdash.xbe to work rather than just the correctly named (msdash.xbe) MS dash loader?

I appreciate some advice as it appears I have Backup folders on three Xboxes which would stuff things up if I ever tried to use them.

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

Which version of SID did you use? If you have msdash.xbe then it looks like a really old version, SID 3.1 or older. That's not a good softmod....... sad.gif

#12 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

Because I don't have a PC I specially bought a pre-softmodd machine with the installer/SC exploit game saves still on the HDD. It was with these I softmodded the two virgin Xboxes.

The installer/SC exploit on the pre-softmodded Xbox doesn't actually say what version it is anywhere I can see in the UnleashX System > Settings info. The game save icon is just a red on white (Linux) spiral. The install left a SID folder or file on one of the drives of all the machines I used it on so it's definitely a version of SID I'm just not sure which.

It worked, eventually, that's the main thing. In fact the v.543 UnleashX dash it installs is better in several ways (for me) than either the much more recent v.572 or v.584 dashes on the AID v 4.4 disc I later used on my chipped Xbox and for my latest (and probably last) softmood. The SID used for that softmod provided on the AID disc does say its v.3.1 at least the screen saver does.

The SID from the pre-modded one must be (much) older than that.

I'm not sure if any of this matters. I know this was far from an ideal way of doing things ie. to use an older unknown installer/exploit from an old softmodded Xbox. But that's all part of the fun and learning process. What I trying to do here is just clean things up now I know a little more about what should and shouldn't be on the various drives.

I've always been interested to understand why that earlier version of SID i). fails to complete an install unless you run Patch 5960 afterwards ii). just why the Patch 5960 option was included in the install menu and iii). why it left certain .xbes apparently incorrectly named or perhaps re-named?

You seem to be suggesting it was some problem with that version of SID. Maybe but I'm sure it was compounded by what ever the softmodder had done afterwards. I'm fairly certain the MS dash file had been deleted as none of the UnleashX navigation sounds worked and neither the CD or DVD player were pointing to a .xbe name I could find on any drive. Luckily I don't think he'd done anything to the MS Backup because that did work but I never thought at that time to check what .xbe it had or the config.xml path to the MS dash. That info is just lost.

But my point is that neither of my two virgin softmods using, presumably, the same SID left those Xboxes in a similar state. I did have to run Patch 5960 to get it too install though. But once done everything worked from the UnleashX dash: games, CDs and DVDs etc and about the only important thing I had to change was the music path from the F to E drive.

#13 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

I don't think there's any cleaning up to be done - as far as I can tell what you describe is what an old SID softmod looks like when it's finished. In fact, any attempts to clean the system up might leave it in an unusable state.....

As for the file renaming, that's how a softmod works - renames the original dash from xboxdash.xbe to something else (msdash.be, or xb0xdash.xbe, or xb1xdash.xbe, depending on the softmod), then adds a replacement file called xboxdash.xbe which is the one that loads the fonts to launch the softmod. I doubt that there are any incorrectly named files on there unless someone changed them manually.

Your Xboxes are probably in different states because you seem to have used different softmods.

To cut to the chase, you currently seem to be running two very old but similar softmods, which have all sorts of odd features (like needing to run Patch 5960), and importantly have lots of features missing, like shadow C, and virtual eeprom. This can lead to all sorts of problems, the biggest of which is that your real C partition is exposed, and hence your Xboxes are vulnerable to having the softmod overwritten. If you are happy then just leave well alone, but the best way to clean them up is to upgrade to a newer, safer softmod with better features (and no need to run Patch 5960!), and if you want to do that then post back and I'll be happy to talk you through the process.

Edited by Heimdall, 24 August 2010 - 04:23 PM.

#14 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

Thanks, as usual, for the advice.

I know you recommend leaving everything as is but the reason I talked about cleaning up was because the files on that original 'parent' softmod don't match either of the softmods I've done myself using what I must assume was the same installer/exploit game saves.

My two own softmods using that installer both match up - file names and what .xbe launches what dash or application. When I click on the online updater or xbox live dash .xbes they try to load (even though I'm not online) but then default to the main UnleashX dash. This seems to me to be as it should so I'm certainly not going to mess with the files on those two.

However on the 'parent' Xbox there are name mismatches, different or missing files, and, as I said, copies of .xbe/config.xml files on the C and E drives. If I try those same online.xbes (from the xodash folder) the screen either hangs or I get Error 21.

Clearly something isn't the same and I'm trying to work out what and whether it matters. Whether the Backups are messed is my greatest concern for the very reason you said: because it's not using a shadow C. They're my get out of gaol if something does go wrong, unlikely though I think that is.

My later more recent SID (3.1) softmod from the AID disc I also used on my chipped machine is not of any concern as regards this matter. I wouldn't expect the files to look exactly the same and indeed they don't.

#15 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Aug 25 2010, 11:58 PM) View Post
using what I must assume was the same installer/exploit game saves.

From the way you've described your Xboxes I suspect that's not a correct assumption. smile.gif

I'd be very worried about the SID 3.1 Xbox as well, simply because SID 3.1 has no shadow C and is very old.

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Aug 25 2010, 11:58 PM) View Post
Clearly something isn't the same and I'm trying to work out what and whether it matters. Whether the Backups are messed is my greatest concern for the very reason you said: because it's not using a shadow C. They're my get out of gaol if something does go wrong, unlikely though I think that is.
Backups provide absolutely no protection against overwriting your softmod if you don't have a shadow C - the only real protection is updating to a softmod with Shadow C. Also, FYI, there's nothing on the backups that you can't extract from CASH, Slayers or AID and recreate in a few minutes.

The only backup you need from your Xbox is the eeprom, which is unique to each Xbox, and which you should backup properly i.e. somewhere other than your Xbox.

Edited by Heimdall, 26 August 2010 - 12:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users