• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Johndude77

Johndude77

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

I had done the xclamp fix already. But, after a couple fixable rrods, i got an unfixable one. So i came across the oven fix. I tried it, but it was still rrod after. All i can think of is to turn the heat up more, any suggestions?

Also, when i first turned it on, it took a lot longer the usual for the three red lights to appear.

Thanks

#2 halofreak1990

halofreak1990

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

Could you give us the secondary error code? That would give more insight as to what might be causing the RROD.

#3 Johndude77

Johndude77

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:15 AM

It's 0102, which makes me guess i should reheat it at higher temps.

I did 310 F for 1 min
350 F for 1 and a half min
400 F for 1 min
445 F for 4 min

And I did this in a normal oven.

#4 FLUFFYbunny27

FLUFFYbunny27

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:45 AM

I did the oven fix twice and both times didn't work... All it did was stink up my house haha.... I recommend this: ..... Its the closest thing to a pro job lol

#5 Johndude77

Johndude77

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:48 AM

Yeah, i thought about the heat gun, but i dont wanna really spend more money on this piece of crap. Also, I heard the oven fix was better then the heatgun, but im not too sure

#6 Johndude77

Johndude77

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

Sorry for double post (cant find the edit button)

I think i got somewhere now. The xbox has TWO red lights. This means it's overheated. I dont have the heatsinks or anything on. The difference this time was i baked it at 500 F, for 8 and a half minutes. Anyways, I'm hoping this is better, and do i put the heatsinks on?

#7 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:360RepairKings.Com Repairing and Modding Xbox 360's!!<br /><br />http://360RepairKings.Com
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

Stop listening to little kids on how a heat gun and an oven reflow is the way to go. It's just another cheap trick some kid came up with while trying to save his console. Both of those are bad ways to reflow even if you use flux. lol

You can overheat the solder and ruin the chips themselves if you get them to hot and heat guns get to hot. Ovens are in consistent and do not heat properly(temp display is off usually).

Stop trying to save money by NOT sending it to a Professional to get repaired. I charge $50 for a reflow and $20 on Ebay.

STOP BEING CHEAP! Now you're pretty much screwed because your 0102 error was easily fixable but after many failed oven attempts,etc your console is doomed. 0102=Reball upon failed Reflow attempts.

Well just because it's overheating doesn't mean once you fix that the initial red ring error won't be there. More than likely it will be there once you fix the 2 red rings. If you don't have the heat sinks on it's not making contact causing the 2 red rings.

Put them on and try it out.

You will just end up doing more damage than good with a heat gun. STOP WATCHING THESE KIDS thinking they know WTF they're doing! If you don't, you will regret it. Some get lucky and don't damage components but most do and end up making the console harder and harder to save.

#8 FLUFFYbunny27

FLUFFYbunny27

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

It might not be the best "trick" but its not dangerous lol. As long as you have an IR thermometer handy you have a good chance of the heat gun "working" haha

#9 Johndude77

Johndude77

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Um...err....ok. But i put the heat sinks on and there are still two red lights. I'll wait a bit and see what happens. But I'm just probably gonna buy a new one if this doesn't work. I mean, i dont wanna spend more money on this piece of crap.

Anyways, I'll wait another hour and see what happens

#10 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:360RepairKings.Com Repairing and Modding Xbox 360's!!<br /><br />http://360RepairKings.Com

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

@Fluffy If you think that heat gunning is not dangerous on an Xbox you're very wrong. It's not just keeping up with the temps. It's the amount of heat the heat gun actually blows out. It's the timings and the amount of heat and the actual secs/mins it has to be curved up during the process and back down you cannot achieve with a heat gun. I can go on and on about why but I'm sure you get the point.

If you have years of experience repairing these you would know the only proper way is a BGA Rework/Hot Air Machine or IR Rework/Reball machine.

@John Check the sec. error on the 2 red rings. This will tell you what is overheating. Going to be 0011 or 0012(cpu or gpu). It can also be a 0013(RAM) but probably not. If it's 0011 add some more thermal paste on the chips and remove the metal 4 washers that sit right under the CPU on the top side of the board. If it's the GPU overheating try the same thing and just leave the CPU alone.

This will help get rid of the overheating but then the initial red ring error may still pop up or it will boot or not boot showing a different sec. error.

As for spending to much money/time. I cannot agree completely. This is why I keep saying to people get it done right the first time. Stop wasting so much time/money on trying to do "tricks" to save some money because in the end, you will spend more. Plus let the repair company worry about the error for a few months(most warranty).

#11 Johndude77

Johndude77

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Ya, i probably should have. But anyways, the two red lights are gone now and it's RRoD error 0001. Kinda weird, but I'm looking for a solution

#12 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

Yeah figured that would happen. You're pretty much screwed now. You're console has a short circuit in it somewhere and it'll take more time finding the component/swapping it out than it's worth because even if you find the solution/resolve that problem the console probably has some bridged solder now. sad.gif

Why I'm against oven reflows and heat gun reflows.

#13 Johndude77

Johndude77

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

Ya, this sucks. I'm guessing I should just give up now since I probably won't want to buy any more parts for this xbox.

#14 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

Yeah just get another one and cut your losses and sell it. If you run into RROD again, the best advice anyone can give you is to send it off to a professional if you want the console to last.

#15 Johndude77

Johndude77

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

Alright, thanks for the help dude smile.gif

Edited by Johndude77, 12 June 2010 - 03:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users