• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 silvabullet79

silvabullet79

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

I've recently got back to playing my dreamcast (yea I know what forum this is tongue.gif ) and I've realized that the dreamcast controller isn't as great as I used to think it was. It feels very bad, I was playing Jedi Power Battles and my hand started to cramp up after about the 15min. mark.

Anyways I went online and searched for XBOX to DC adapters and wasn't able to find anything. I even asked a guy with a dreamcast youtube channel to daisy chain an XBOX to PS2 adapter with a PS2 to Dreamcast adapter, he tried, and it didn't work. (if only it were so simple)

So all that stuff brings me here. I've seen controller mods displayed here before and I was wondering if anyone here has tried to stuff a DC controller board into an XBOX controller? I know it seems like it would be a stupid project but the Dreamcast controller REALLY is that bad. I still want to play my dreamcast but, not like this. sad.gif

#2 MoonTar

MoonTar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

What about a DC to USB to Xbox converter?

I can see why it gave you cramps, it's almost like the duke controller.

#3 silvabullet79

silvabullet79

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE(MoonTar @ Jun 12 2010, 06:34 AM) View Post

What about a DC to USB to Xbox converter?

I can see why it gave you cramps, it's almost like the duke controller.

They have DC to USB so you can play DC on PC. And XBOX to USB so you can do the same. I think you're talking about chaining XBOX to USB then to DC. They don't have anything like that.

#4 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

emulate it on the computer and use the xbox usb only way i can think off lol.

#5 Marios_shadow

Marios_shadow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(silvabullet79 @ Jun 11 2010, 11:00 PM) View Post

I've seen controller mods displayed here before and I was wondering if anyone here has tried to stuff a DC controller board into an XBOX controller?

The DC controller's board is about as tall as the entire S-Controller shell. So not without some (Fairly extensive) cutting, and I'm no good at that sort of thing.

QUOTE(turbocrow @ Jun 13 2010, 11:42 AM) View Post

emulate it on the computer and use the xbox usb only way i can think off lol.

Seconded. NullDC has improved the DC emulation scene by leaps and bounds fairly recently, look into that.

#6 GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

If you really wanted to do it you could. I am surprised to hear that there is no adaptoid that will convert a dreamcast controller signal to xbox. Anyways, if that method is a no-go then you can hard mod the controller yourself. The basic idea is to open a Xbox controller and a dreamcast controller and connect each button and analog stick to the corresponding contact point. It is probably more work than its worth, but apart from the payoff of having a cramp-free controller to use, you'll also have the extra "OMG 1337 HAx0rz!" appeal.

And chicks dig that.

Well...not attractive chicks but chicks nonetheless!!

So bust open both controllers (figure of speech, of course wink.gif ) and find your wiring points. I have some pics that may help you here-

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Take what you can from these.

A quick google search yielded this website which shows how dreamcast controllers send out their signals. A Madcatz controller is seen, but with some ingenuity I'm sure you can learn from this website and take the next step. Check these out to get a feel for what kind of task this is.
http://www.darkraven...ages/newpad.jpg
http://www.darkraven...ion/madcatz.htm

In a nutshell, you would have to wire the buttons for A B X and Y to the Xbox controller's points for A B X and Y, Start, as well as the triggers and analog stick(s) and D-Pad. Kind of tedious work, but possible.

That should at least point you in the right direction
happy modding jester.gif

#7 silvabullet79

silvabullet79

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

@ GoTeamScotch

That would be awesome but I think it's out of my reach. blink.gif And if was able to do something like that, what would be the final result? Cuz all I could think of is an XBOX controller directly linked to the inside of a dreamcast controller. And then the dreamcast controller would be connected to the dreamcast console. Not only a difficult mod for me, but also seems like it would be a mess. Unless there's a way to get it all in one.

One of my issues with the Dreamcast controller is it's shape, and the location of the triggers. They're too far down. RDC brought up the possibility of simple fixes for the triggers and it took my mind in a different direction. I think if I do anything now, it's going to involve bondo and a dremel.

I'm thinking of something like this.....
IPB Image

which would be a combination of..
IPB ImageIPB Image

Along with raising up the triggers there will also be some work done to the back of the controller to make it more comfortable for finger placement.

Edited by silvabullet79, 14 June 2010 - 01:47 PM.

#8 GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

Hardmodding the case is a great way to go. Good luck to you and your project! cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users