19 replies to this topic

#1 chatterx

chatterx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:56 AM

I have a falcon jtagged system and I am working on a spare case I have. So far I have cut out and installed a window, Painted the whole console, chassis, and fan tunnel satin black. I have also cut a window in the fan tunnel and will be adding a talismoon blue fan soon.

I have a few pics of progress and a few questions for you experts out there. I am just wanting to keep this thing as cool as possible to prevent RROD.

My first question is, since this thing is jtagged I really will not be using the dvd drive. I want to make the dvd drive external which will not be hard with a few cable adapters. Since the DVD drive will be out of the case that leaves room for a fan on top of the GPU heatsink. I have a fan which is a thermaltake A2345. This fan has blue LEDs in it and when its on red LEDs will illuminate to show the temp. However I do not think this fan will work as the only way to mount it is to where the air flow is blowing down on the heatsink. Would this fan work if mounted on top of the heatsink?? if not maybe over the heatsink mounted on the plexiglass? Here is the specs on this fan HERE

Second question would be where to hook up the temp wire. I know the spot to hook the fan up to, I think its the spots you can use for installing leds right?

nevermind the motherboard or heatsinks these are junk ones I am just using for reference.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 nm*13

nm*13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

you should take the cpu heatsink off of that motherboard and put it on the gpu on your jtag.

#3 chatterx

chatterx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE(nm*13 @ Jun 12 2010, 09:36 PM) View Post

you should take the cpu heatsink off of that motherboard and put it on the gpu on your jtag.

has this been tested and been shown to lower temps? How would I mod the fan shroud LOL

#4 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:56 AM

You could make a new shroud out of cardboard or something. You could also just put the exhaust fans right behind the heat sinks.

#5 nm*13

nm*13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE(chatterx @ Jun 12 2010, 09:54 PM) View Post

has this been tested and been shown to lower temps? How would I mod the fan shroud LOL

I did it to my jtag'd xenon and now the gpu temp is never over 38C which to me is really really cool for a xenon.

#6 chatterx

chatterx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

so you have it setup like below?? how did you do your fan shroud.... anyone else do this??

I also have two of the 2nd gen cpu heatsinks

IPB Image

Edited by chatterx, 13 June 2010 - 06:32 AM.

#7 ashfungo

ashfungo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE(chatterx @ Jun 13 2010, 06:32 AM) View Post

so you have it setup like below?? how did you do your fan shroud.... anyone else do this??

I also have two of the 2nd gen cpu heatsinks

IPB Image

definetely do it like this. im not sure what cpu heatsinks 1st or second but do it like the picture you have and dremel your fan shroud and use card board and duct tape to make a new fan shroud. have fans pushing air through the heat sinks and out the back.

#8 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

yakess noo use the 2nd gen cpu heat-sink has the gpu has two small chips and the first gen cpu only cover 1 and half of the chips while the 2nd gen covers all of them.

#9 chatterx

chatterx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(turbocrow @ Jun 13 2010, 05:01 AM) View Post

yakess noo use the 2nd gen cpu heat-sink has the gpu has two small chips and the first gen cpu only cover 1 and half of the chips while the 2nd gen covers all of them.

Excellent point turbocrow. heck you can almost even see it in the pic.

#10 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(chatterx @ Jun 13 2010, 03:43 PM) View Post

Excellent point turbocrow. heck you can almost even see it in the pic.

lol thnx i made the mistake with my jtag lol and your welcome smile.gif

#11 chatterx

chatterx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

What was your motherboards version turbocrow and what are your temps??

I am currently making a new fan tunnel out of two spare ones I had. I think it will look good when done. will post pics.

Anyone think I should add fans inside and if so, where is the best place to buy small fans for the 360. I have 3 small ones that came out of those piece of junk intercoolers that go on the back of the xbox (they are in the middle pic next to the xbox on original post).

Also I have looked for those little heatsinks that go on the RAM chips and ANA and southbridge... anyone got a link to em?

And lastly I am thinking about getting these lights for the inside... whacha think?

http://www.coolerguy...0556088714.html

#12 ashfungo

ashfungo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE(chatterx @ Jun 13 2010, 09:24 PM) View Post

I am currently making a new fan tunnel out of two spare ones I had. I think it will look good when done. will post pics.

Anyone think I should add fans inside and if so, where is the best place to buy small fans for the 360. I have 3 small ones that came out of those piece of junk intercoolers that go on the back of the xbox (they are in the middle pic next to the xbox on original post).

Also I have looked for those little heatsinks that go on the RAM chips and ANA and southbridge... anyone got a link to em?

And lastly I am thinking about getting these lights for the inside... whacha think?

http://www.frozencpu...amp;id=QxYQKZ67

or

http://www.newegg.co...8-071-_-Product

Those leds are good too. There is a thread
here with someone using them.

#13 chatterx

chatterx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

Ashfungo - thanx a million for those links, I ended up getting the blue ones shown. Going to put em on all ram chips, southbridge, and ANA.

I checked out your 360 watercooled in the pc case, awesome work so far. I see you have something I am going to need and maybe you can give me one more link.

I am going to make my dvd drive external, where did you get the power cable for the dvd drive? I need one thats kinda long

#14 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(chatterx @ Jun 13 2010, 09:24 PM) View Post

xenon still going strong fans are at 75% gpu nerver goes above 35 and cpu is about 55 consistently which is not bad for a xeneon smile.gif i made a custom shroud wish i took pics of it lmao and my dvd drive is external

#15 chatterx

chatterx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:45 PM

OK got the fan shroud made (pics below). I have the Zalman heatsinks, talismoon whisper legacy on the way. I have to order the LEDs and I need to find a source for a longer power cable for the dvd drive. You guys are awesome with the help. Hopefully I am not sounding too noobish LOL.

Did you guys do anything special for the external DVD drive. Perhaps put it in a enclosure?

IPB Image
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users