19 replies to this topic

#1 mastertsip

mastertsip

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hi,

Will my modded unit get banned if I don't play and don't have a backup disc in the drive?
I just want to create a Live account to get the DivX and AAC plugins. No plans of getting a Gold account and play online

I have an iXtreme 1.6 modded unit

Thanks

#2 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

You might - ANY modified firmware could lead to a ban - esp. 1.6 versions (opposed to LT). Case scenario - friend brings his 360 over just after the recent bannings, it's NEVER played a backup, but he's got 1.6 on it. He's worried, as he's already updated in Oct/Nov (8995). It's not banned to his knowledge. I flash the drive back to unmodified firmware, he connects to Live, and voila - he's banned.

Basically in the update (I think from memory) MS were testing drive response to queries, and flagging the one's that stuck out like a sore thumb.

So after all that waffle, if you've not hooked up to Live and want to update, I'd reflash back to stock before doing so.

#3 mastertsip

mastertsip

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(thwack @ Jun 16 2010, 07:59 PM) View Post

You might - ANY modified firmware could lead to a ban - esp. 1.6 versions (opposed to LT). Case scenario - friend brings his 360 over just after the recent bannings, it's NEVER played a backup, but he's got 1.6 on it. He's worried, as he's already updated in Oct/Nov (8995). It's not banned to his knowledge. I flash the drive back to unmodified firmware, he connects to Live, and voila - he's banned.

Basically in the update (I think from memory) MS were testing drive response to queries, and flagging the one's that stuck out like a sore thumb.

So after all that waffle, if you've not hooked up to Live and want to update, I'd reflash back to stock before doing so.

Thanks for the warning. It's not worth the risk then smile.gif

#4 MSsucksgonnabuyaPS3

MSsucksgonnabuyaPS3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:40 AM

Who cares if you get banned, ur not using Live anyway on it

Bannings on Live don't remove hard-drive install anymore and if you were banned previously and lost hard-drive install update to the latest Live update via USB or CD and it enables hard-drive install again (even if ur banned)

http://www.xbox.com/...stemupdates.htm

#5 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(MSsucksgonnabuyaPS3 @ Jun 17 2010, 06:40 AM) View Post

Bannings on Live don't remove hard-drive install anymore and if you were banned previously and lost hard-drive install update to the latest Live update via USB or CD and it enables hard-drive install again (even if ur banned)

Yes - but if you'd done some reading, you'd know that a banned 360 will still corrupt your game saves and profile. OK, you can install to HD, but as soon as you try to use your profile on another machine - it's corrupted. Same with your saves. So the OP is avoiding making a bad secdata on his 360, and having to uncripple it/'clean' his profile and saves everytime he wants to use another machine.

#6 mastertsip

mastertsip

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(MSsucksgonnabuyaPS3 @ Jun 17 2010, 01:40 PM) View Post

I see. Will my game saves and profiles be still ok if I get banned?
I just updated to the 9919 dashboard yesterday.

#7 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

[/quote]
QUOTE(mastertsip @ Jun 17 2010, 10:58 AM) View Post

I see. Will my game saves and profiles be still ok if I get banned?
I just updated to the 9919 dashboard yesterday.

See my post above.

QUOTE(thwack @ Jun 17 2010, 10:56 AM) View Post

Yes - but if you'd done some reading, you'd know that a banned 360 will still corrupt your game saves and profile. OK, you can install to HD, but as soon as you try to use your profile on another machine - it's corrupted. Same with your saves. So the OP is avoiding making a bad secdata on his 360, and having to uncripple it/'clean' his profile and saves everytime he wants to use another machine.

Edited by thwack, 17 June 2010 - 12:03 PM.

#8 mastertsip

mastertsip

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

ok thanks again thwack smile.gif

#9 MSsucksgonnabuyaPS3

MSsucksgonnabuyaPS3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE(thwack @ Jun 17 2010, 03:03 AM) View Post

See my post above.

there are works around to the corrupt saves on other peoples machines

#10 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE(MSsucksgonnabuyaPS3 @ Jun 18 2010, 07:35 AM) View Post

there are works around to the corrupt saves on other peoples machines

There are apps that will do it, but it gets to be a pain in the ass having to uncorrupt your profile and saves via PC everytime you transfer content from a banned console to another console. In the long run it's way easier to just uncripple (or pay someone a tenner to do it for you), than have to uncorrupt your data everytime your transferring.

Far easier if you've got a system that you suspect might get teh ban hammer to not update via Live and keep a valid good secdata intact on your NAND smile.gif

#11 leaftree

leaftree

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

so my question is, do the game saves and profile get corrupted on the banned console, or only when you transfer them to a new console?

#12 Syn201

Syn201

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(leaftree @ Jun 18 2010, 10:12 AM) View Post

so my question is, do the game saves and profile get corrupted on the banned console, or only when you transfer them to a new console?

when transfer to new console easy enough to uncurropt though

all need is data lead for mem card or hdd or a usb disk (harder then first two)
http://www.se7ensins...anned-xbox-360/

link to save me typing hdd/mem card

you would need xtaf for usb

ban would prob mean divx/xvid no longer works

1.6 is one of the not at all safe i would upgrade to lt works better with new waves and live ..

#13 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(leaftree @ Jun 18 2010, 10:12 AM) View Post

Basically in a simplified way, the banned 360 tells the saves and profile info that it's not from a 'trusted source' (hence the need in uncrippling to sort out the secdata). Pop it in another 360, and hey voila, the other 360 sees it as coming from a 'bad source' and it appears corrupted.

And yes, you can uncorrupt the data, but personally if you can be arsed to spend a couple of hours (for your first NAND dumping) to uncripple your 360, then you don't have to fart round uncorrupting your saves and profile everytime you want to update them on Live/play on another console. Just my preference.

Edited by thwack, 18 June 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#14 mastertsip

mastertsip

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE(thwack @ Jun 18 2010, 06:46 PM) View Post

Basically in a simplified way, the banned 360 tells the saves and profile info that it's not from a 'trusted source' (hence the need in uncrippling to sort out the secdata). Pop it in another 360, and hey voila, the other 360 sees it as coming from a 'bad source' and it appears corrupted.

And yes, you can uncorrupt the data, but personally if you can be arsed to spend a couple of hours (for your first NAND dumping) to uncripple your 360, then you don't have to fart round uncorrupting your saves and profile everytime you want to update them on Live/play on another console. Just my preference.

Just to confirm/clarify the answer to leaftree's question the game saves and profile get corrupted on the banned console, or only when you transfer them to a new console?

Is it NO to the game saves and profile get corrupted on the banned console ?
Is it YES to only when you transfer them to a new console ?

#15 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

The banned console cannot create trusted content - it will appear as uncorrupt on the banned console (ie - it will appear/act normal), but it's the banned console that gives the non-trusted signature to the profile/saves.

When you use this on another console, it'll appear as corrupt.

So - it's 'YES to only when you transfer them to a new console'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users