10 replies to this topic

#1 zmartin34

zmartin34

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:39 AM

I just fixed my CPU (0103) with new paste and screws/washers in place of the x-clamps. Its working again that's the good news.

The bad news is the temps. In Freestyle I'm seeing Idle temps climb above 70 C with the fans set to stock "auto" but the fans still don't spin up (something is screwed with the units that adjust the fans apparently)

So, when I go in and set the fans manually to 100% I am seeing idle temps of the CPU @ 56.0 and the GPU @ 52.0 C. Sure it sounds like the thing is going to take off but whatever!!! lol

Furthermore, I played SSFIV for 30 mins, existed as quickly as I could and reloaded Freestyle and the temps hadn't budged more than .5 C.

Should I just go for the 12V fan mod at this point or will I still have issues with these temps?

Thanks.

#2 nm*13

nm*13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

56c is still pretty hot I got a xenon and the highest temp ive ever seen my cpu reach was 45c and my gpu has never even hit 40c.

you should do the fan shroud mod too that brought down my gpu temp.

Edited by nm*13, 24 June 2010 - 06:17 PM.

#3 TheNeck

TheNeck

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

i have a xenon with the cpu/gpu running at around 55C, but i had to set the stock fans to run at 100% all the time for these temperatures before that it ran hot around 75C. i have not done the xclamp fix yet, if i do will the cpu/gpu temps drop by that much? also how much did your temps drop when you did the fan shroud mod?

Edited by TheNeck, 24 June 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#4 dustin6908

dustin6908

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

i got a zephyr no cooling mods

i get 58c 59c idle in freestyle
and about 62c ish when under game load

i have freestyle fan speed at 75% best i can do without the xbox sounding like a jet(its still really loud...nightime watching a move laying down with the girl she complains sometimes...it is pretty loud tho)

but it also stays like 80F degress in my house all the time

fan shroud mod would look ugly with my window

anything else i can do for cooling i would like it at at least around 55c under a load

i dont like it goin oveer 60

Edited by dustin6908, 24 June 2010 - 06:54 PM.

#5 madmax22

madmax22

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(dustin6908 @ Jun 24 2010, 01:52 PM) View Post

i got a zephyr no cooling mods

i get 58c 59c idle in freestyle
and about 62c ish when under game load

i have freestyle fan speed at 75% best i can do without the xbox sounding like a jet(its still really loud...nightime watching a move laying down with the girl she complains sometimes...it is pretty loud tho)

but it also stays like 80F degress in my house all the time

fan shroud mod would look ugly with my window

anything else i can do for cooling i would like it at at least around 55c under a load

i dont like it goin oveer 60

watercool smile.gif

#6 TheNeck

TheNeck

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(madmax22 @ Jun 24 2010, 11:31 AM) View Post

watercool smile.gif

What other options are there if watercooling is not an option?

#7 preetkk

preetkk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

use better heatsinks

#8 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

A lot of it depends on the ambient temperature as well - but the standard temps for a Xenon (or Jasper) with upgraded GPU heat sink at idle (meaning right before the fan speeds up) is 80C CPU and 60C GPU. This really isn't that hot, and you shouldn't be considered concerned about CPU temps anyway.

#9 dustin6908

dustin6908

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

ok thanks i just want it to last as long as possible.

i dont want it to die jus becaouse it stays to hot.

what temp does it auto shutdown at? as in if it gets too hot.

does it have thermal protection shutdown?

#10 preetkk

preetkk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:16 PM

i fixed my e74 elite the other day and after fixing it both heatsink were too hot to touch... and the fan was spinning very loud and fast (so i switch it off never had it on more than a few mins)

left the square heatsink on the cpu and placed a computer cpu heatsink on the gpu (but the brackets are obviously wrong and not made for the xbox)

I'll take a picture later and show you what i mean

but ever since changing the GPU heatsink to "Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2" i can now touch both heatsinks and they are not are between warm and hot and thats after the xbox being on for 2 hours

#11 zmartin34

zmartin34

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:22 AM

Thanks to all for the insight!

I added a 50mm fan today right above the sink that comes off of the gpu (the small one with the copper tube). It reduced my GPU temp by 5 C but didn't do much for the CPU (maybe 1 C max). Its internal and looks nice though happy.gif

I can now easily idle it at 48 C GPU and 55 C CPU

@nm - r u jtagged and getting those temps from the dash? those temps are very low for a xenon from what i've read. Also any link for the particular shroud mod? Can anyone suggest one please??

@neck - same thing for me with temps; i would also be interested to know how much the shroud mod helped

@dustin - I was in the same position but after adding the 50mm to the GPU it is much cooler now. Im also with you on the 60 C. My experience overclocking PC's is always kicking in; I want everything under 60 always lol Funny thing is crap in crap out... 360s are junk from the start so its only a matter of time IMHO regardless of temps/motherboard warping/etc. lol

@bran - wow 80 C isn't hot?? also, why not be concerned about high CPU temps; even though they (generally) won't damage the chip it will cause increased rates of failure right??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users