• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mindtrap

mindtrap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

My Linksys router recently died on me and I was forced to start using another Linksys router. It is the same model router, albeit a slightly older version. Since setting up the new network, I am having worlds of trouble trying to communicate with the Xbox. EvoX will not assign any IP and says "No Link!" in the network settings, even though the cable is plugged in well at both ends (xbox<->router).

Everything has been working fine for years before using the new router, so I'm inclined to think its a router issue not an xbox issue but I could be missing something. It's also possible whatever damaged my router also wrecked something on the xbox, but aside from the networking issue everything else seems to be working fine. I am connecting using a crossover cable (always have in the past), but I did try using a straight thru cable as well with the same results.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! TIA

Edited by mindtrap, 26 June 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:59 PM

You should use a straight through cable. Are the link lights coming on at the Xbox and the router port? Have you tried a different port on the router? A different cable? How is your computer connected to your router? Does that have a manual IP address, or is it allocated via DHCP. What happens if you assign your Xbox a manual IP address?

#3 mindtrap

mindtrap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jun 26 2010, 10:59 PM) View Post

You should use a straight through cable. Are the link lights coming on at the Xbox and the router port? Have you tried a different port on the router? A different cable? How is your computer connected to your router? Does that have a manual IP address, or is it allocated via DHCP. What happens if you assign your Xbox a manual IP address?

Thanks for the quick response. The link lights will NOT turn on on the router. I have tried using different ports. My computer is connected to the router in the same way, via DHCP. Assigning a static IP to the xbox didn't help at all either because it still says "no link". I'll try using another cable again, but like I said, I've been using the one I have now for years without issue.

Edited by mindtrap, 26 June 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:46 AM

Have you tried plugging something else into the same port on your router, just in case your Xbox has developed a problem? If you have and the lights on the router won't turn on and you're sure the cable is good, then either the Ethernet port on the router is disabled, or it's broken.

#5 mindtrap

mindtrap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jun 27 2010, 01:46 AM) View Post

Have you tried plugging something else into the same port on your router, just in case your Xbox has developed a problem? If you have and the lights on the router won't turn on and you're sure the cable is good, then either the Ethernet port on the router is disabled, or it's broken.

Yep, I've tried using ports and cables I know work with other devices. I've tried straight through and crossover cables. I'm now convinced it's the ethernet port on the xbox that is malfunctioning. Not sure if there's anything I can do about that! sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users