115 replies to this topic

#1 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

Started this project late thursday, been thinking of some ideas to try out to stay away from the norm. I decided to fit the 360 motherboard inside a Ammo Box ( 30 Cal and 50 cal ) i could not find a big enough box, i didnt try to hard either, and it looks different having 2 stacked on top of each other.

The plan is to keep it looking original, all switches will be at the back or hidden from plain view. Power, AV ( HDMI ) and ethernet cords can still be plugged in normally aswell as in internal wireless adapter.

Cd Drive will be hidden also. Using USB Flashdrive for Harddrive with the newest dashboard update.

Started off just getting an idea where i wanted the boxes to sit

Lost my charger for my DSLR camera, need a new one soon, only have my iphone for photos

IPB Image

Marked out the ventalation holes, need it to get fresh air

IPB Image

I taped out where i wanted the ventilation, marked it out, and then used a centre punch before i started drilling. Small holes on the side and bigger where the fan would normal be. I will be having additional fans inside

IPB Image

Edited by ozzylow, 27 June 2010 - 02:45 PM.

#2 snake3

snake3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

sounds cool never seen this done before.

#3 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

More holes again

IPB Image

IPB Image

and again

IPB Image

an idea for placement

IPB Image

The 2 ammo boxes will be joined so if i can open up and change or fix andthing inside.

IPB Image

I will do a tut on wiring eject switch when i get my charger, just some more test fitting to see if they are working, remember you need a momentary switch for these

IPB Image

Edited by ozzylow, 27 June 2010 - 03:03 PM.

#4 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

That xbox does not seem to be the newest one with the smaller chip so i can easily see cooling to be a problem i recommend either getting the newer xbox or adding extra fans to this xbox has it will need to be done but so far it is looking klass smile.gif

#5 brwcrw

brwcrw

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

he already said he was adding fans...

#6 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(brwcrw @ Jun 27 2010, 07:06 PM) View Post

he already said he was adding fans...

But were from the pics it looks like he could not add fans that would work efficiently i think you should scrap the rea exhaust idea and like the new xbox have fans on top of them (that is if the dvd drive does not get in the way) And doing this i think it would work farr better for obvious reasons.

#7 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:54 AM

IM not going to waste a brand new slim inside this case, i have 3 of the normal xbox 360 spare. There is plenty room for fans, just have to position them right. The Cd drive will be out of the way so i can get a fan right over the GPU

QUOTE(turbocrow @ Jun 28 2010, 02:04 AM) View Post

That xbox does not seem to be the newest one with the smaller chip so i can easily see cooling to be a problem i recommend either getting the newer xbox or adding extra fans to this xbox has it will need to be done but so far it is looking klass smile.gif

I have a newer lite-on, this is just my testing motherboard, had RROD but i fixed it aswell. I practice on this one and use it to see if it all fits

#8 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(ozzylow @ Jun 28 2010, 12:54 AM) View Post

IM not going to waste a brand new slim inside this case, i have 3 of the normal xbox 360 spare. There is plenty room for fans, just have to position them right. The Cd drive will be out of the way so i can get a fan right over the GPU
I have a newer lite-on, this is just my testing motherboard, had RROD but i fixed it aswell. I practice on this one and use it to see if it all fits

brilliant then should turn out to be klass

#9 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:42 AM

I wanted the case to be mobile, so i can easily pick it up and move it. Cut out the top and bottom of the small box and did some small welds. The mig welder is broken and i had to use our bad one.

IPB Image

Test fit

IPB Image

Bad quality photos i know. The top lid opens and the bottom, can access anything i need if something goes wrong.

IPB Image

Thinking of having the Cd drive be able to raise up here and when its closed should sit flush with the case.

Also i know it doesnt look to good with the welds, should i re spray the ammo boxes with there original colors and put the letters and numbers on the side again, i could finish the join real nice with bondo ( body filler ) and i can paint pretty good and try to make it look original.

IPB Image

Edited by ozzylow, 29 June 2010 - 12:48 AM.

#10 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:11 AM

Update. Finally got a better camera to take some more pictures, after welding it it has now been smoothed out with some bondo and spent a fair bit of time sanding it down. The lids can easily be taken off the base so its easyier to work on small sections at a time.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by ozzylow, 30 June 2010 - 03:13 AM.

#11 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:11 AM

that looks SICK, I really like the fact that you used ammo boxes for the case, makes it look tough and badass!

I got a few questions though?

How do you plan on mount the 360 in the interior so it is easy to put in, take out?

What are you planning on doing with the dvd drive?

It would be awesome if you mounted it in the upper ammo box so to insert or take out a disk your would have to open the ammo box to do it, I mean it would be a pain in the ass after a while but would look damn cool every time. biggrin.gif

Edited by red_ring_of_box, 30 June 2010 - 05:12 AM.

#12 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Jun 30 2010, 02:11 PM) View Post

that looks SICK, I really like the fact that you used ammo boxes for the case, makes it look tough and badass!

I got a few questions though?

How do you plan on mount the 360 in the interior so it is easy to put in, take out?

What are you planning on doing with the dvd drive?

It would be awesome if you mounted it in the upper ammo box so to insert or take out a disk your would have to open the ammo box to do it, I mean it would be a pain in the ass after a while but would look damn cool every time. biggrin.gif

I will still be in the metal casing, it makes it alot easier. I have some motherboard risers that i will try mount to the ammo box inside and put the screws through that, kind of still working that part out.

The DVD drive will be mounted like the picture above, the disc tray will rise up and close with the switch at the back, but will have the DVD bezel ( i think thats what its called ) re shaped and sitting flush with the box.

Also trying to decide how i want the wireless adapter, i know i want it internal but might have the aerial sitting outside of the case, just some ideas, what do people think.

#13 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#14 snake3

snake3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:13 PM

if that's how your gonna mount the DVD-ROM you should replace the GPU heat sink with a CPU heat sink to get some lower temps since there will be plenty of space.

#15 KoukiMonster91

KoukiMonster91

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

you also might want to turn the drive the other way that way its easy to swap disks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users