ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

I couldn't get this 2.6.22 kernel to boot so I took the XFedora kernel lalee created from here, back ported the FATX and partition table changes from 2.6.22 that I earlier patched into this tree and this was able to boot. I will post the kernel tarball.

I did very preliminary tests ( a mount and cp -r ) on the 32K clustered FATX partition F and files were copied without errors. A reboot and UnleashX was able to launch one of the XBE (XBMC).

I've used the kernel as the basis for a chimp26 remake.

Edited by ldotsfan, 29 June 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#2 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

nice. That is a solid kernel to start with. I been using it quite some time with no issues.

#3 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:04 AM

can you get it to run in a loopback install? I could not figure it out. I can only get it to boot natively

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:33 AM

xdsl loopback needs a cloop kernel module which I've compiled and a new minirt.gz with the cloop.ko.
I will do this in due time.

#5 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

Loopback won't work as the FATX remains broken in this version. I managed to cause a kernel oops just by deleting one file from the FATX partition.

#6 mwaterbu

mwaterbu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:24 AM

hey sorry for still being a noob about all this (im trying to learn), but what is it exactly that you are doing? patching a newer linux kernel to work with fatx? if thats it, what does that mean lol?
i see on sourceforge that you posted an updated xdsl (with this patch in it?). but what is the linux-2.6.18.withfatx file? basically, im looking to do a native install of xdsl on my xbox but am a little lost. i will be making a g partition for it to run on, but what size is recommended? i will not be putting much on there but a few programs. also, for a native install do i need a swap file? btw, i have a 1.4ghz cpu in my box and 128mb of ram. i read somewhere that xdsl could be completely loaded into ram if you have 128mb so its super fast. if this is true, how would i do that?
thank you for bearing with my dumb questions and thanks in advance for your help smile.gif

#7 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:16 AM

1. A newer kernel gives greater compatibility with modern linux distributions. All new distributions use kernel 2.6 in general unless by design, the creator of the distribution uses 2.4. I'm trying to make it possible to use a distribution like TinyCore on the xbox but this is experimental and may not work out in the end.
2. 2.6.18 doesn't work with xdsl so you can ignore this kernel. Use 2.4.32 onwards. See this thread.
3. If you are lost, try loopback install rather than native install for xdsl. Memory and processor speed should help in Linux.
4. run088 has machines running on 128Mb, you can ask him if he runs them with or without swap. I personally don't own one and always run mine with swap.

Edited by ldotsfan, 04 July 2010 - 04:17 AM.

#8 mwaterbu

mwaterbu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:53 AM

thanks for the reply. i have 0.71.2 now and will try it out soon. ill probably end up doing a loopback like you suggested. one question about that though. where does it put the files for a loopback install? because last time i installed it i had a large f partition (300gb) and no g. however, it would not let me install to my f drive and only to g even though it did not exist. after installing, i saw no files on my f drive and there was still no g drive. but linux was definitely installed somewhere because it could run with no problems (i had the bootloader on my e drive). is there a way that it could have hidden files?
good luck with the 2.6 core. ill be following these threads and sourceforge to see your progress.

#9 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

I use the swap if it is not used the distro will run like shit. It is pushed to its limit if you dont use it. For example I switched some things around a while back and unmounted the swap for a day or to. I noticed that the apps loaded twice as slow and the graphics were not very good either. The distro also refused to display all the info that is displayed on the right hand side that xdsl displays as well as the mount tool disappeared as well.

I use swap from 1 gig to 2gigs. And would not recommend using less than 512 ever. The excess swap helps out with stuff like virtualbox or compiling stuff.

I usually make swap 1 gig on each hdd that I put a distro on. If I run 2 hdd's in the xbox I mount and run them both.

Different people have different views on what size swap is needed. I run what I run after looking to see what regular pc distro were using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users