• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Jul 5 2010, 10:18 AM) View Post

WIP:
1. Ftp daemon.

Sourceforge version updated with working ftp.

#17 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

Nice work, will give it a try.

#18 unclebree

unclebree

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hi ldotsfan,

Well, I finally got froggy and decided to give this a try. I loaded into the E/apps folder, and then tried it first without the hotswapping to see if it would run, and I got a screen with "CD/DVD - Web Boot - Net Boot - Advanced."

I looked around in all of them, and didn't see anything like the menu you showed in your first post. (To clone the HDD)

I then went ahead and did the hotswap -- which seemed to go all right -- and then ran the app Chimp 2618 and everything seemed to go pretty good. I had basically the same menu, minus the CD/DVD (which I'm assuming is because the CD/DVD was now another HDD), but I still couldn't find the menu that allows me to clone the master HDD.

I know it picked up both HDD's (and I DID have the second HDD, the 500GB one, set on Slave) because I was able to view the passwords for both of the HDD's.

So I'm guessing that everything is working fine, it's just that I don't know how to use it. Are there some steps I'm missing to get into that menu that you showed in your first post?

Thanks, ~Rich~

#19 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(unclebree @ Jul 13 2010, 01:29 AM) View Post

Are there some steps I'm missing to get into that menu that you showed in your first post?

Yes, did you miss out this step?

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Jul 5 2010, 10:18 AM) View Post

2. Copy linuxboot.cfg to E drive root folder. Amend contents if you didn't install accordingly to the folder in step 1.

I think based on your description, the xbox is still in the Gentoox Loader menu and hasn't even started the kernel.

#20 unclebree

unclebree

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

You're right, I did miss that step. It's possible that I subconsciously missed it because I had no idea what you meant.

Are you saying that I need to take the linuxboot.cfg file out of the Chimp 2618 folder, and put it directly in the E folder? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but it's only because I am one.

Seriously though, I'm like 2 I.Q. points away from slobbering all over this keyboard as I type.

I need a step by step "lamens term" breakdown of what to do. I know this must get frustrating for you to try and explain this, but I'm getting closer to figuring this out each time. I'm just waiting for my big "Oh, I get it!" moment.

Thanks again, ~Rich~

#21 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(unclebree @ Jul 14 2010, 01:38 AM) View Post

Are you saying that I need to take the linuxboot.cfg file out of the Chimp 2618 folder, and put it directly in the E folder?

Yes, to copy linuxboot.cfg to E folder. I will try to use layman terms in my usage write-up next time smile.gif

#22 unclebree

unclebree

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

Good news and Bad news!

First, the good news. It worked!! I'm thinking about changing my name to "ldotsfan's Fan." I did the necessary steps (all of them, this time!), and I'm now sitting here with a WORKING Xbox with a 500GB HD. It not only worked, but it worked fast. From what I read up on about Chimp, it sounded like it would take a long time to clone the drive, but after I started it I went into the kitchen to cook my dog's dinner (yes, you heard me right -- COOK his dinner! But, in his defense, he did spend a lot of money sending me through obedience school) when I returned to the living room to check on it about 10 minutes later, it was done. Of course I was skeptical, but when I hooked up the new HD, it worked! Awesome!

Now, the bad news. I can't seem to get it to recognize the G drive. It's weird because I used the Gentex tool and split the extra GB's between F and G, and it seemed to go okay, but when I got back to the dashboard it was just showing 234 GB's for F and 0 on G. I then tried using Slayer's, and formatted F & G, and it showed off to the side:

C: 298.92 MB free
E: 4,352.31 MB free
F: 234,532.03 MB free
G: 234,595.92 MB free

But whenever I go back to my dashboard, the G shows up at 0. Plus, when I FTP to it, there's no G drive showing up. I even tried loading some apps from AID 4.52, and it showed that it was loading DVD2BOX, but when I went back to my Dashboard -- no G.

I even tried to uninstall my softmod, thinking that maybe if I reinstalled the softmod I could possibly fix it. Big mistake! I don't know what I did, but I got Error 13. I had to go back and do the whole Chimp process again. At least I did get back to where I was before with the dirves all showing up in both Slayers and AID, but no G on my dashboard or when I FTP.

But hey, I'm getting closer!

Signed, ldotsfan's fan.... ~Rich~

#23 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE(unclebree @ Jul 15 2010, 10:30 PM) View Post

Of course I was skeptical, but when I hooked up the new HD, it worked! Awesome!

Great and glad to hear that the tool worked for you. smile.gif

QUOTE(unclebree @ Jul 15 2010, 10:30 PM) View Post

Now, the bad news. I can't seem to get it to recognize the G drive. It's weird because I used the Gentex tool and split the extra GB's between F and G, and it seemed to go okay, but when I got back to the dashboard it was just showing 234 GB's for F and 0 on G. I then tried using Slayer's, and formatted F & G, and it showed off to the side:

But whenever I go back to my dashboard, the G shows up at 0. Plus, when I FTP to it, there's no G drive showing up. I even tried loading some apps from AID 4.52, and it showed that it was loading DVD2BOX, but when I went back to my Dashboard -- no G.

Did you enable G drive in your dashboard ? - that is a separate option. What dash are you using?

#24 unclebree

unclebree

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

Done, done, & done! Sweet!

I did some googling about enabling the G drive and found where I was supposed to do it under settings, and once I enabled it, there it was!

Hopefully I'm done now and I can start loading it up with my games. I got a lot of 'em while I was trying to get this HDD running. It's amazing how cheap these games have gotten. I guess they're not quite old enough to be collectible, yet not even close to being new enough to purchase in a store. I've found that I can get them at garage sales or Game Xchange for CHEAP. Gotta love it!

Thanks again ldotsfan for all the help. Keep up the good work!

~Rich~

#25 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Jul 14 2010, 09:54 PM) View Post

Yes, to copy linuxboot.cfg to E folder.

Linux lost the capability to read linuxboot.cfg from the same folder as the XBE when the code moved from xbeboot to Cromwell. I've figured out how to do that and launch a secondary XBE. ie, copy linuxboot.cfg to scratch partition, locate XBE launch folder via XeImageFileName in primary launcher XBE and pass control to secondary XBE - Cromwell in disguise. Cromwell is patched to read from scratch partition X instead of E.

This should remove the nuisance of having to copy linuxboot.cfg to E for all linux based tools that launch via Cromwell. First beneficiary will be the next release of chimp2618.

#26 kodec

kodec

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

Hi, I just tried to use this on my 1.6 xbox and its getting stuck on the Gentoox Loader. Please help?
Steps I've done:
  1. Unzip package
  2. transfer cfg file to root of E drive
  3. launch the loader through unleashx
  4. click A when the Gentoox loader appeared

The status on the screen says:
Booting ...

Boot: Loading kernel '/Apps/chimp2618/linux265'... [ok]
Boot: Loading init '/Apps/chimp2618/initrd.gz'... [ok]

Starting

And then its stuck there with the xbox green light flashing constantly. I waited about 10 minutes. Any idea what I did wrong?

-kodec

#27 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(kodec @ Aug 21 2010, 03:32 AM) View Post

And then its stuck there with the xbox green light flashing constantly. I waited about 10 minutes. Any idea what I did wrong?

Set target hdd jumper to slave.

#28 kodec

kodec

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Aug 21 2010, 09:17 AM) View Post

Set target hdd jumper to slave.

It wasn't the jumper that was the issue. The chimp2618 package wasn't able to launch on my 1.6 xbox for some reason. It would just freeze at the "Starting" mesage in the Gentoox loader. Also the original chimp didn't work for me, I could not get telnet to work.

On the bright side, I was able to get everything working using chimp2618 off of the LUD disc that Idotsfan made. I got the link to it from this thread: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=717865

Here were the steps I took:
1. Download the LUD iso and burn to CD (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xboxhdm2/files/LUD/LUD-v1.01.iso.zip/download)
2. Prepare target hdd for hot swap by providing it an external power source (used a USB/IDE kit for this part) and setting the mode to slave.
3. Boot up the LUD disc.
4. In the gentoox linux loader, select Chimp.
5. Wait for booting initrd [ok] message and then immedicately performed hot swap of IDE cable from DVD drive to target hdd. Default setting in the config file allows for only 10 secs. If you see "Starting Chimp" before you are done, then you are too late and will need to start from Step 3 again.
6. Verify both drives were detected using option 1 (Scan).
7. Select option to clone master to slave.
8. Wait for completion of cloning process.
9. Back on the menu, select Lock Slave drive and lock the drive from the motherboard.
10. Back on the menu, select shutdown.
11. Move IDE cable back to DVD drive.
12. Set target hdd to Master mode.
13. Connect original hdd IDE connector to target hdd.
14. Disconnect power cable from original hdd and plug into target hdd. (Note: I didn't do this initially and was still using the USB kit power source. This resulted in Error 07 upon boot up. When I switch to using the original hdd power cable, the target hdd came up normally).
15. Boot up Xbox again with LUD disc. Select Chimp.
16. Select option to format master drive extended partitions. I am using a 500 gb drive so I selected the option to put everything after 137 gb to the G drive.
17. After partitioning is finished, shutdown again and remove LUD disc.
18. Boot up again. The xbox should now boot up normally as before as it had with the original hdd.

Thanks Idotsfan for making this fantastic tool for us 1.6 owners!

-kodec

#29 TheGink

TheGink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:23 AM

Nice! This was my first experience with Chimp and with upgrading the xbox HD. Was quick and easy with Chimp2618 and the simple instructions. Went pretty fast too. Then I added a bunch of stuff to the new F: partition and decided to clone it all to a different HD because the first one I used was too noisy for a media center.

Still easy, but whereas C: and E: cloned at an average of 15MB/s, F: cloned at about 4MB/s, so 5 minutes to clone C: and E:, 2 hours to clone F: Oh well, next time I'll know.

Speaking of next time, I've got another xbox, as of yet unmodded, so I'd like to softmod and upgrade the HD. But since I'm just basically setting it up the same as my first, is it possible to use Chimp2618 to clone the HD from my modded xbox to another drive, then use the newly cloned drive in a different xbox?

Would this just be a matter of pulling the EEPROM from the second xbox and using that EEPROM in the locking stage after cloning?

Thanks so much for the great tool!

#30 TheGink

TheGink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:59 AM

Well, cloning extended partitions didn't work for me. After 2 hours cloning the F: partition, it's blank. C and E cloned fine, xbmc starts right up, but the F: partition is completely blank. Guess I'll FTP it all down from the old drive and back up to the new one.

Being able to clone C and E to upgrade a drive in such little time is still pretty sweet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users