• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tnap

tnap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:17 AM

Okay, I just bought a new 360 Elite today. I want to be able to burn games and play them. I modded my original Xbox waaaay back when with a modchip, so I'm not completely stupid regarding mods.

I am, however, completely stupid when it comes to modding a 360. tongue.gif I just want to be able to burn games and play them, no installing homebrew apps or running emulators or anything like that. Just the basic bread and butter burning/playing games.

I have a question beforehand though: will I still be able to play on Xbox Live? (atleast with non-burned, original games?) Or can Microsoft tell if you've changed firmware when you go online?

Besides that, I'm looking to figure out what I need to do? How do I get started doing this? I know that it requires flashing the DVD drive's firmware. Is that it? Or does it require modchipping? I'm a noob when it comes to the 360 mods. Thanks in advance for any help! biggrin.gif

Edited by tnap, 02 July 2010 - 05:20 AM.

#2 vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:25 AM

Normally I'd say read the stickies but I just read them and they are by far outdated. First you need to find out what kind of DVD ROM drive you have. If the console is new, chances are pretty good it's a liteon. If so then you need to find out what version to see what tools you may need to mod the drive. Head over to JungleFlasher website and download the program along with the TUTORIAL. Read the tutorial about 100 times.....Find out if you need to order some tools or not. If you have the latest liteon...plan on lots of soldering and trace cutting/repairing.

#3 deilzfcjk

deilzfcjk

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Interests:chicks, fixing my car and computers, working on websites, relaxing.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:00 AM

just make sure you have compatible drivers and chipset. Thats the only difference between moding xbox1 and xbox 360. Cause all consoles nowadays use the pc to access the console. Plus get good book on hacking the 360.

Since u most likely will be having a liteon 8xxxx v2 or 9xxxx u will and should be aware of the following:

Just be sure you have all the required tools. Fiberglass pen(to scrape traces), via chipset, desoldering braid, and flux.

Latest Jungleflasher app. thats all i can say.

#4 tnap

tnap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

Thanks you guys. I figured someone would jump on and tell me to read around before making a thread like this, but like you said, all those stickies are from like 2006. I thought there would different, possibly easier ways of doing it now.

But from what you all said, that sounds a bit more complicated than soldering a modchip into an original Xbox. =\ The 360 I just bought is a very recent model Elite. How can I tell what model of DVD drive I have?

Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna know what I'm getting into before doing this. How much more difficult is it compared to soldering a modchip into place? I've only soldered, never un-soldered or traced or whatever you guys are talking about. Ugh, I feel like such a noob.

#5 vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

If the console was made in the past 8 or 9 months chances are it's a new drive. Read the follow thread for more details. http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=698256

#6 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

If you end up with one of the newer drives please make sure you practice your soldering skills on a dead PCB before you take your drive apart. I have seen too many people kill their consoles because they didn't take the time to practice.

#7 tnap

tnap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

Can I still get on and play on Xbox Live with a flashed DVD drive? If not, then what if I didn't try to play my backups online, but the original discs? Could I then?

#8 vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:03 AM

There is always a risk with modding your console. However the latest LT firmware can keep you safe from live there is always a risk period. Will you get banned/flagged there is no telling. Always make your own back ups via kreon or 0800 dvd rom drives and you SHOULD be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users