18 replies to this topic

#1 kieron_67

kieron_67

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

aup guys,

recently my 2nd xbox has been overheating (2 rrod)

but when you put your hand on the heatsinks they are warm, no where near the tempreature it should be when they over heat

any ideas?

#2 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

That sounds like your heatsinks don't make proper touch on the chips. I think you have flexed mainboad+flexed x-clamps. So your solution is first to restore the mainboard from flexing and then apply proper x-clamps or x-clamp fix. Also don't forget to clean off the old thermal paste completely and then apply new layer of high perfomance one (such as Arctic Silver 5).

#3 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:360RepairKings.Com Repairing and Modding Xbox 360's!!<br /><br />http://360RepairKings.Com
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

Okay before you go jumping to conclusions on what the problem could be and before you start doing anything...

You need to know the secondary error on the 2 red rings. It can be the gpu,cpu or ram. It's best to know exactly what it is and then go from there...

What have you done to the console previously? Does it have the bolt/washer combo or the original x clamps?

Post back your sec code and I'll tell you exactly what you can do to get it going again before you go trying different things which may not even pertain to your error..What if it's your RAM overheating and you go put on new paste,etc...

#4 kieron_67

kieron_67

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

it wont let me get the secondary code up as its coming up as its overheating

yes the x clamps have been removed

#5 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:360RepairKings.Com Repairing and Modding Xbox 360's!!<br /><br />http://360RepairKings.Com

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Just to let you know, you can pull sec error code on overheating errors(2 red rings)

It's going to be 0011,0012 or 0013..

#6 kieron_67

kieron_67

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

ok mate will have a go when i get home

#7 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

okay if it's 0011, remove the 4 metal washers from the top side of the CPU..Make sure if you barely have any paste on, add some more. By doing this, this always works on 0011...

If it's 0012, it's going to be the GPU overheating so add some more thermal paste and try again. If nothing changes, you can try the 4 metal removal on the GPU.

If it's 0013, it's going to be the RAM overheating and the only thing that you can do without Reflowing anything, is to try the penny trick. It's nothing permanent and really sucks but if you do not have the money to Reflow, it's really your only option.

#8 kieron_67

kieron_67

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

Its a 0013 error

#9 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

You need to get the RAM Reflowed or if you do not have a way to try or the money to send it off to get it properly repaired, you can do the penny trick(not recommended but it can work).

#10 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

Yes but the 0013 can be caused from mainboard flexing as well. If he put it in the oven at 70C for 5-6 hours the flex will go away and maybe the issue will be gone with it as well.

#11 kieron_67

kieron_67

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

well the xbox is completely dead now,

got mate to reflow the board,

powered it up all fine, next went completely off with smoke, opened it up and seems the chip to the top left corner with the xbox sticker on was sizzling away.

its dead lol

#12 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Jul 6 2010, 01:43 AM) View Post

Yes but the 0013 can be caused from mainboard flexing as well. If he put it in the oven at 70C for 5-6 hours the flex will go away and maybe the issue will be gone with it as well.

Why would you push someone to throw a console in the oven? That is one of the stupidest "tricks" you can do to these boards...That my friend, is a joke...

Chances are it's the RAM and not a warped board...

#13 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE(nitz0 @ Jul 7 2010, 05:39 PM) View Post

Why would you push someone to throw a console in the oven? That is one of the stupidest "tricks" you can do to these boards...That my friend, is a joke...

Chances are it's the RAM and not a warped board...

I guess you didn't notice the temperatures I proposed, did you? I say at 70C. The reason is that at this temp the board lose all the moisture and lose the flex as well, going back to its original straight position and at the same time nothing is gonna melt, because the temps are low. Now you got it?

P.S.: You are a joke if you think you know everything without even trying smile.gif

Edited by MadMaxGR, 08 July 2010 - 07:45 AM.

#14 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Jul 8 2010, 01:44 AM) View Post

I guess you didn't notice the temperatures I proposed, did you? I say at 70C. The reason is that at this temp the board lose all the moisture and lose the flex as well, going back to its original straight position and at the same time nothing is gonna melt, because the temps are low. Now you got it?

P.S.: You are a joke if you think you know everything without even trying smile.gif

It doesn't matter what temp you throw it in at...Don't you know the oven temnp is always off? lol

Telling someone to do something some "kid" came up with is just stupid...

Good luck in your business adventures with your skills dry.gif

That pretty much sucks...SouthBridge chip? How did he Reflow it?

#15 drewis

drewis

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

ROFL

what has this message board been reduced to?

Bud, putting the motherboard in the oven for 8 hours at 70-80 C works WONDERS. I do it EVERY time I fix a board, i dont give a shit what the issue is. Ive had consoles in cases that were so badly warping, I had to drill out the fucking black screws, ALL OF THEM.

Low temp bake is one of the best things you can do to a broken xbox. I GUARANTEE it will extend the life of the repair more often then not.

you make me laugh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users