X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Afternoon all,

I tried posting in the General section but got no replies. Proboably my fault as it should have been in this section from the start.

Im just after a little advice if possible. Basically, i dont really get time to play live much, but when i do its usualy to play Fifa or COD with my brother and neither of us really want to pay for Gold when we dont really use is.

My questions is about creating a VPN between mine and his router.

I have scouted round on the internet and i think can get a decent enough router for 40 - 50 which supports IPSec/IKE Security Policies with DES / 3DES encryption.

Neither of us have static IP Addresses, so will need to sign up to some form of DNS Service, any reccomendations? Also, can anyone reccommend 2 routers that would do the job?

And lastly, has anyone else had any experience with this?

Im not interested in XlinkKAI or Leaf as ive heard they are not that great.

Been looking at the Linksys WRV200 VPN, and that would seem to be able to do the job? However ive read that when you atart a system link, then the XBOX changes its ip to something like 0.0.0.1 and will not work over VPN, but you can use system link when connected through the same router, so it would be no different?

Any help would be much appreciated?

Regards

Paul

#2 boon147

boon147

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

Anybody?

#3 c-2

c-2

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Im not interested in XlinkKAI or Leaf as ive heard they are not that great.

settle down there , kai is awesome .. leaf is crap .. don't mention them in the same sentance again!! .. seriously tho just set up xlink kai , works great , has for years.

#4 boon147

boon147

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for that, ill give it a try. I know it was good for the XBOX 1 but but ive read / heard many mixed reviews about it for the 360. Surely a hardware VPN would be better?

Surely someone has attempted to do this / has successfully done it?

Regards,

#5 c-2

c-2

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

the reason you have heard mixed reviews about the 360 and kai is because of the 30ms ping limit on games. this has been 'fixed' if you have a jtag xbox but not regular. It is also not an issue with kai its the xbox360 so a VPN would suffer from the same ping limit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users