Midnight Tboy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

heya,

ok so here's my problem.

My old xenon WAS on XBR3 with XELL - I then updated it (with a few problems) to Xellous and Freeboot a bunch of weeks ago, without dashlaunch - using Freeboot Toolbox Maker v2.3.

The reason for the troubles......

-----
1. When originally flashed console, I had a bad black (checked original nand - and says its at 0x5d - found at 0x3FF). At the time of making the old xbr3 image I manually moved that bad block with nandpro.

2. I then built the new image with some tool or other.,,,and flashed with flash360. I then got a bricked console believe it was an E71 after a second or so on the 360 loading. I believe at the time this was because Flash360 does not handle bad block movement very well...and believe my Bad Block was in a crucial area.

3. I could still get into xell/xellous at the time......though it did not seem to work from USB, so burnt to cd my original XBR image as updflash.bin and it flashed me back to a working Xell and XBR.

4. I then used Freeboot Toolbox Maker v2.3 using the (pretty sure it was - as couldnt find the original nand image at the time - tho I have it now) xbr image as the source....and it created the file. This flashed fine by USB.....I think it was also named to updflash.bin? I was then and until now working fine with Xellous and Freeboot.

-----

So.....I now want to update myself to using the new dashlaunch with freeboot, and tried using Freeboot Toolbox Maker v2.4

I've put my key in, selected my xbr3 nand, and built the image.......

BUT .... when I'm putting my usb stick in (same one as I used before...and also tried another)....Xellous isn't prompting me to update. It seems to be acknowledging that theres a usb stick there however...but not picking up the update.

This is with the file called updflash.bin.

Sooo.....

Any ideas how or why I cannot get xellous to see the update that is on the usb sticks? As said before, when I had to reflash back to XBR3 and Xell, it could not see the usb stick then either....but when I was back on XBR it saw that same usb stick fine and ran the update?

I could in theory burn a dvd with the update on....but if I recall correctly....that means xellous cannot manage the bad blocks as it cannot write to that space.

I read also that there are other filenames you can give the update, updflash0.bin etc.....but unsure which is best for me to pick as I believe they serve a different purpose? - and don't want to risk bricking the 360 completely (jtag wires are off now and took me forever to put them on with my lousy soldering skills)

#2 Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

thinking about this.....

I could manually move the bad block with nandpro command line.....

...BUT....

if using an xbr image, that already had the bad block manually moved....would freeboot maker have already set the bad block into the correct 3FF area?? (either by it being left as was in the xbr file.....or by it having its own bad block detection).

If I was to manually move data from 5d to 3ff and it was already correct though, it would mean I'd have then overwritten the good with bad....so either need a way to check where the current block is mapped to in the new image file, or to get the usb working in xellous

#3 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

When you make your FreeBoot from XBR it won't move the block for you. Try Using that app badblockmover v2.0 - it's here on the forum somewhere - that'll reallocate the block you want and zero out the bad block.

You can check it's working out by opening the file in degraded and seeing the reallocation info (ie as you've said BB at XXX, XXX at 3FF).

#4 Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

thanks....I'll have a look at badblockmover 2.0 - didn't realise there'd been a newer version out since as I was still using the old 1.0

#5 Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

hmmmm...

struggling to find badblackmover v2.0, even at "the usual places". Could you perhaps mean BadBlockRemapper v0.2 which I can see?

Also, do you know if Degraded is anything newer than v1.1b now? As if I run that on the original nand it loads fine, but if I try to open anything such as the xbr3 dump I get "Wrong NAND File"

#6 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

Yeah - meant BadBlockRemapper v0.2, sorry if you've had to search loads! Was at work so didn't have time to look meself.........

That's the latest Degraded - it won't open XBR (due to it being a zero paired image), but it will open your created FreeBoot.bin, and should show you that the BB has been reallocated. If you still have difficulty, pm me and I'll make a FreeBoot for ya smile.gif

#7 Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

aha thanks.

Sods law this pc is on windows 7 64bit....and wasn't the xp pc I did the original dumping on....and nandpro needs the portio drives or whatever they were called off top of my head installing....

no matter....I'll have to dig the old XP laptop out to sort it smile.gif

I see what you mean about degraded allowing me to view the Freeboot file...so thats cool and hopefully will show me the relocated mapped block to ensure I've done it right. You're right though - it doesnt report any current bad block in the new target file.

What is odd though....don't know if its meant to happen....but when I use the Freeboot Toolbox 2.4. If I create the new bin file 2 times (with exact same settings), if I do a file compare in dos it reports loads of differences? Surely I'd have expected it to have been identical....unless theres some way that this is built that makes it differ each time?

#8 Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

well I managed to get the usb stick to work.

Read a few pages that suggested pulling the plug on the 360 for a minute...then plug them in and try...and it picked it up.

It flashed seemingly ok...using the file untouched that freeboot toolkit made presuming it would handle the bad block like it seemed to fine when I updated from xell to xellous ..but I get no picture now sad.gif no red lights or anything though

I can still get into xellous with the eject key though....so going to now try remapping manually that bad block

#9 Looouky

Looouky

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

if you can still get into xell try flashing with xbrflash.

#10 Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

hmmm well I've just been trying a few things.

I manually moved the bad blocks......same result - black screen no rrod.

I then flashed back to my freeboot without dashlaunch nand...all fine again.

I then created the nand file using freeboot toolbox again but this time using the original nand dump.....same thing (tho quieter fan with the freeboot nand having the fanspeed patch on it smile.gif).

Currently back onto the standard freeboot nand now till work out a way to get it on.

I'm not missing anything silly am I? Each time its just sitting doing nothing with no signal on the tv.

I chose on Toolbox to use HDD for dashlaunch......and I'm currently tried loading it with both hdd in and out of 360......there is no ini files or anything made yet....but presumably if it doesnt see any ini it just goes to the default NXE dash doesnt it?

one thing I did notice though - don't know if it would bear any relevance at all......when xellous is flashing...it says flashing up to 3E0 I think it was. Should it not say flashing up to 3FF? seeing as thats the end of the nand dump and where the bad block at the end is attached

Edited by Midnight Tboy, 13 July 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#11 Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Got it working....kinda.

I read this post

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=716713

The default selection of toolbox maker 2.4 is dashlaunch from HDD. When i tried this and flashed to nand i got black screen with centre green light on. So reflashed with USB dashlaunch and it works. Mine is a jasper 512.

Though for me in 2.4 the default selection is nand not hdd......and I was choosing hdd.

So I then tried choosing USB......and it allows me to boot.

anyone any ideas why I can't get it booting with the hdd option?

Now to try to find a way to test dashlaunch is actually working - once sort out the usb hdd for it

#12 Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

can't seem to get the dashlaunch side of things working.

With just the ini file on the USB it just loads NXE as normal.....

...not sure if I'm on the right track or not.....but I tried copying the launch.xex file from the flash_installer folder of dashlaunch 1.0 and put it to the USB drive.

Now each time I turn on the 360 then with USB drive connected I get an E71 error.

If no usb hdd connected it works fine....and if I remove the launch.xex stuff it works fine

Edited by Midnight Tboy, 13 July 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#13 Midnight Tboy

Midnight Tboy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

partially sorted.

the E71 has gone now - one of 2 reasons....

when I copied over the xex in the flash_installer folder of Dash Launch I also copied over the default.xex to the root.....maybe it was that.....so removed that xex.

Secondly, after searching, I read to make sure that you save the text file as UTF-8 format (I was using notepad which defaults to ascii at first - using modifying the sample.ini file)....must say all this stuff isn't documented very well with dashlaunch

So....from cold boot I can now go straight to Xexmenu......but I can't seem to get the reset to dashboard to take me to FSD by using the X or Y option.....but I can get it to NXE with the right bumber....so most of the battle is done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users