• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Metal.acid

Metal.acid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:14 AM

I am trying to get my 93450c modded but it is proving to be a pain. I am using the boxxdr method. I have re-soldered many times and every time JF is telling me Status 0x7F when I hit intro and turn it on. I have also tried turning the drive on first then trying JF but the same result occurs. I have tried this with Windows XP then I formatted to Windows 7 and they both showed 7F; I have always used this computer for doing drives and it hasn't failed me yet so the chipset can't be it. I've tried two sata cables and still nothing.

I have tried searching the boards for 7F but not much comes up that is a situation like mine.

I have been trying to get a clear picture of my soldering work but my camera keeps getting a bad reflection of light off the board. I uploaded a picture for you to see. I have no idea how people get such clear images. My camera isn't horrendous, it's a Sony Cybershot that was purchased 2-3 years ago with 7.2 MP.

Picture:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2u6l3jo.jpg

#2 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Downhill Skiing, Xbox Mod Chips, Xbox Repair, Wiikey, ARGON, D2pro, XBOX360,
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:06 AM

Wow, worst photo ever.

You can shot the picture thru a magnifing glass or check and see if your camera has a macro picture mode.

#3 Metal.acid

Metal.acid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

Yeah, I know it's a bad photo.

I took your advice with the magnifying glass and I took some pics of the job done. They are clearer but I am not sure if you can diagnose anything with them. I made an album on imageshack with the photos.

http://img337.images.../dsc00580l.jpg/

What does status 7F mean anyway? I hear that it means that the drive is not detected at all but I am not sure about that.

My friend told me he has a better camera; hopefully he is right. I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow.

Edited by Metal.acid, 15 July 2010 - 01:41 AM.

#4 syntaxerror329

syntaxerror329

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Downhill Skiing, Xbox Mod Chips, Xbox Repair, Wiikey, ARGON, D2pro, XBOX360,
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(Metal.acid @ Jul 14 2010, 08:34 PM) View Post

Yeah, I know it's a bad photo.

I took your advice with the magnifying glass and I took some pics of the job done. They are clearer but I am not sure if you can diagnose anything with them. I made an album on imageshack with the photos.

http://img337.images.../dsc00580l.jpg/

What does status 7F mean anyway? I hear that it means that the drive is not detected at all but I am not sure about that.

Honestly i am not sure what 7F means. I know it means you did it wrong.
The pictures were good enough to see things have become a mess.
At this point you should really consider hiring someone. It looks fixable. If you want to send it to a expert i would be happy to help you out. Send me a PM and i can give you the details.

#5 Metal.acid

Metal.acid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

PM sent.

#6 Metal.acid

Metal.acid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

Sorry to double post but I got a much clearer picture

http://img69.imagesh.../dsc00581cf.jpg

#7 Maximize

Maximize

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

Boxx your good enough to call an expert

I have done dozens of 83 V2 + drives thanks to your thread, and my soldering isnt quite as good as yours

but the pictures I have seen of your work is high quality

keep up the good work man

QUOTE(Metal.acid @ Jul 16 2010, 02:25 PM) View Post

Sorry to double post but I got a much clearer picture

http://img69.imagesh.../dsc00581cf.jpg

dude looks like your trying to make a solder island, like the bicardi island commercial

your solder needs to connect the traces to the wire and nothing else

it looks like your connecting traces, wire, and ground planes together

apply flux tin your wires and traces then connect them and use a good iron

the less area you remove the green insulation from the harder it is to short your wiring

Edited by Maximize, 16 July 2010 - 08:09 PM.

#8 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:03 PM

those wires are way to big. i find the wire inside of network cable is perfect. also, if you are using the boxxdr method, solder the resistor to the left side of the 122 cut instead of to the 101 pad.

Edited by iateshaggy, 16 July 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#9 turny

turny

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE(iateshaggy @ Jul 16 2010, 11:03 PM) View Post

those wires are way to big. i find the wire inside of network cable is perfect. also, if you are using the boxxdr method, solder the resistor to the left side of the 122 cut instead of to the 101 pad.

a network cable cat 5 can be solid or stranded , kynar/wrapping wire is by far the best wire to do any mods, this is was used for ps2 mods.

#10 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

i agree, but not every one has modding cable. i have used solid and stranded cat5 and both work fine, u just have to shape the solid before you solder it.

#11 Maximize

Maximize

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

"modding cable"

I am using something around 26g solid strand that is bent perfectly, so I just tin the traces and the ground and and its a quick solder after that.

but its funny to hear people say that one way is better than another, or that one wire is correct and others are wrong

#12 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

well wires that are fatter than the traces like the one in that pic are wrong, but yes, there are many right wires. i recommend cat5 scrap cuz stranded or solid, it is a perfect size for this and every one has easy access to cat5 24/7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users