• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 saransh

saransh

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:31 AM

I have got a X-Clamped 360(Xenon) which worked perfect. But then a few days back it began freezing and displayed RROD. When restarted after some time it would work perfect. But after some days it didn't show up green at all. So I changed the thermal paste and all and voila, it worked fine. But now just after a week or so its back to showing RROD. Sometimes it starts, the game loads successfully but then it hangs right there or maybe sometimes it freezes on the dashboard. It even so happens that sometimes it starts and when it reaches the xbox logo, it makes a screeching noise and then hangs. So what should I do to fix this recurring problem? Change the thermal compound again with a better one ?

#2 K1Kingy

K1Kingy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

xclamp is more of a temporary fix, its never going to solve the problem. The xbox is still going to be overheating. You need to invest in some ways to make it cooler.

#3 saransh

saransh

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

Like what sort of cooling solution is gonna be the best and is there any alternative?

#4 K1Kingy

K1Kingy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

have a look around the forum (namely the case modding one) and check out what other people have done. There are really endless possibilities. From 12v modding the fan to water cooling to putting it in a pc case with 100 fans to cutting out memory slots for better air flow to buying different cooling kits online to putting extra fan headers on the board. Need I go on?

#5 norite

norite

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:02 PM

The real cause is the lead free solder balls holding the gpu to the motherboard. Lead free is too brittle and it cannot cope with the thermal stress, so cracks and voids start to appear. Eventually the cracks are enough for the 360 to stop working. The only proper cure is a reball with lead solder balls. Failing that, a proper reflow will work, (forget about those over heating tricks, they are sheer voodoo) but it depends on the condition of the solder.

#6 saransh

saransh

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for your suggestions about cooling K1Kingy.
norite can you please suggest some tutorial for reballing which can help me do it at home??
Is there any other method that you know ?

#7 norite

norite

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

a gpu reball needs some fairly expensive equipment, like a dark infrared reflow station (1000 bucks) and a lot of experience. Your best bet is find a professional in your area with the right kit and skills and get them to do it.

#8 saransh

saransh

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

just found that I have error 0020 or E08 what would you suggest regarding that?

#9 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

Only GPU and CPU reflow could resolve this issue. Also consider full reballing of them, or at least the GPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users