6 replies to this topic

#1 loady

loady

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

I got to looking at my old xbox 1, (i paid 150 when it was new !!) the other day and was thinking of binning it, it suffered from the xmas lights error after providing me with good service, i had it modded by a tsop flash but the person that done it told me that they just replaced the tsop with pre flashed ones, years have passed and i am competent enough to replace the tsop myself, i have the tools and a willem with several adaptors..is this the easiest way to get this working again ?...i dont want to buy a mod chip for it, i plan to mod the case and use it as a media streamer for my home server/network, i can remove the tsop and replace it in five minutes but is it possible to straight flash it with a willem ?

Thanks.

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

Yes. As long as you can get a PDIP to TSOP adapter for it, assuming your programmer is the 40 pin ZIF socket type.

#3 loady

loady

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

my programmer is a true usb universal GQ-4X and i bought it with a pretty much full set of adaptors, i normally use it to flash tsop 48 but the tsop holder can be seated into other adaptors, im not really sure which adaptor im looking for, ie whats it name, the chip is hy29f080t-90, is that a tsop 40 ?..if so i have a board i can plug the adaptor into and then into my willem. My adaptor boards i have are tsop 40 which has a 1/2v jumper and a tsop40A board which has a 3/5v jumper

Edited by loady, 15 July 2010 - 12:14 PM.

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(loady @ Jul 15 2010, 04:50 AM) View Post

it suffered from the xmas lights error after providing me with good service

@xboxmods2977:
Is a tsop replacement a sure way of fixing Christmas Lights? dry.gif

Edited by ldotsfan, 15 July 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#5 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:41 AM

@loady

Yes, a quick google for the Datasheet says that it is TSOP40 and also that it is 5 volt only so you would have to make sure your programmer is set for a 5v programming voltage. Not sure if you can use the TSOP40 chip in a TSOP48 adapter. You would have to compare some datasheets to find out if the pin layouts are OK.

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Jul 15 2010, 04:15 PM) View Post

@xboxmods2977:
Is a tsop replacement a sure way of fixing Christmas Lights? dry.gif

Glad you brought that up. I wasn't even thinking about it.

If I had to guess, I would say that about 10% of naturally occurring FRAGS (meaning no direct user error) can be fixed with a TSOP flash. Maybe even less.

@loady: You may be looking at a bigger problem, because, unless you have killed the TSOP yourself attempting to flash it, the bios/onboard TSOP itself may not be the cause for the FRAG.

That said, you really can't make things worse by flashing the TSOP in attempt to fix the problem, and in fact, a TSOP flash would be the first thing I would try, being the easiest approach in the potentially long process of recovering that xbox.

Good luck.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 16 July 2010 - 03:54 AM.

#6 MistaGlock

MistaGlock

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

hope you got some steady hands and a pointy as fuck solder iron cuz them pins on that bastard are tiny as shit. all i could see is a pin bridge catastrophe. just make sure when your done you get a good magnifying glass or a good dpi flatbed scanner so you can check for bridges. dont want smoke comin out the vents when you power it back on

#7 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

If re flashing the tsop doesnt fix it then buy another one for less than 20 bucks, why waste time trying to replace the chip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users