15 replies to this topic

#1 GOwenGet

GOwenGet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:16 AM

Hi all,

I purchased a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 2GB based on it being listed as compatible on this site.

Unfortunately when I inserted it into the XBOX I got the "Memory unit is damaged" error and not the "Memory unit was not working and has been erased"

I've tried a bunch of different methods to try and get it to work to no avail. I've reformatted it in FAT32, UNIX, Mac. I used Linux to reformat and create a couple of partitions on it, again with no luck. I'm assuming all of this reformatting would have removed the U3 partition (couldn't see it in Linux).

I'm all out of ideas and can't figure out how this stick has been listed as compatible on two sites (the XBMC one as well) but doesn't work.

Any one had any experience with this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

Are you speaking of the black SanDisk with the "slide out" usb connector? If so, no. They don't work and if they have in the past, they don't anymore. Some kind a of firmware change may be the culprit. I have one of these same drives and I have never got it to work with the xbox, So now I use it for my PlayStation 2 FMCB stuff.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 16 July 2010 - 10:16 PM.

#3 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:30 AM

I had two of the black Sandisk thumb drives - Sandisk Cruzer Micro with the slide out usb connectors: a 512Mb and a 4Gb of which both worked on the xbox and were purchased with some time apart. Google "U3 Launchpad Removal Tool" and use that before writing it off. But of course it could be a firmware revision since the release of the product as xboxmods2977 mentioned.

By the way, I also have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro Skin which doesn't work on the xbox.

#4 GOwenGet

GOwenGet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:33 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

After I formatted to OS X I tried the U3 removal tool, which just told me no U3 device was attached so I'm guessing I've managed to get rid of that partition.

Must be some sort of firmware revision, I'll google to see if I can change it.

Beyond that, any chance you'd be interested in selling the Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4Gb that worked for you ldotsfan? Don't really want to risk another purchase from eBay that looks identical but isn't.

#5 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Jul 17 2010, 04:30 AM)  

By the way, I also have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro Skin which doesn't work on the xbox.

That's funny. I have the "skin" 512mb SanDisk cruiser micro and that is the one I use for all my xbox stuff. biggrin.gif

So yea, definitely a firmware or hardware revision going on here. The other thing I was going to include in my first post and forgot was that the incompatible drive I have is the 2Gb version. Same as the OP's.

So apparently, at one time, the xbox played nice with the 512 and the 4Gb and apparently, the 2Gb (otherwise it wouldn't be on the "list") and now, we can't trust ANY of them. I am glad I have one that works. I hope it never dies.

I sympathize with folks new to the xbox compatible flash drive hunt. I wouldn't even wish that on BP jester.gif

#6 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(GOwenGet @ Jul 18 2010, 09:33 AM)  

Beyond that, any chance you'd be interested in selling the Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4Gb that worked for you ldotsfan? Don't really want to risk another purchase from eBay that looks identical but isn't.

I need the usb stick smile.gif Are you using this to softmod for the first time? You are aware of hotswapping?

#7 GOwenGet

GOwenGet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

Yeah, first time softmod.

I'd looked briefly into hotswapping but don't really have the resources to do it, as in I don't have a PC that I can do the IDE swap with. Is that the only way to hotswap?

Eventually I would like to upgrade the HDD but that's a little way off and having the USB stick would be handy for transferring files etc.

Thanks for your help though. The hunt goes on.

#8 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:18 AM

Do you have a USB enclosure with IDE connection?
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4714351

#9 GOwenGet

GOwenGet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:05 AM

sweet man I'll suss that out. I have an enclosure that accepts 3.5" internal drives so I think I can give that a go.

So does this make my purchase of an XBOX port to USB Female cable redundant or will I be able to use that to trf files once I've softmodded? Does the system keep FATX format is what I'm getting at, I think? ha.

#10 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE(GOwenGet @ Jul 21 2010, 12:05 PM)  

sweet man I'll suss that out. I have an enclosure that accepts 3.5" internal drives so I think I can give that a go.

So does this make my purchase of an XBOX port to USB Female cable redundant or will I be able to use that to trf files once I've softmodded? Does the system keep FATX format is what I'm getting at, I think? ha.

XBMC reads both FATX as well as FAT32. Once the xbox is modded, you could use the cable converter for file transfers.

#11 GOwenGet

GOwenGet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for all your advice to date Idotsfan. I'm hoping you'll be able to provide me with a little more.

I came across a Micro SD card that was in a phone which actually worked! I was stoked, wasn't working in port 3 but worked in port 2. Go figure.

Then I discovered I had the wrong release of Mechassault. Who'd know from the box. Anyway, continuing with this method of softmodding because my USB enclosure didn't have an IDE connection and it's been easy to pick up a copy of Splinter Cell for $1. I've already got the Ndure (1.1) files for it transferred onto the XBOX.

The pause that not having the correct game has given has made me consider upgrading the hdd before carrying out the actual mod. I've got a spare SATA 250GB drive that I'm considering using but don't know if using something like this would allow me to connect it to the XBOX once I've used xboxhdm.

I've got my head around the process thanks to this tutorial. Is that process best practice?

A concern I have (which only exists because of ignorance) is that if I use my HDD enclosure with my SATA drive and use xboxhdm 2.2 to format it I'm going to blast away the HDD management software on the enclosure (it's a NAS drive enclosure but can connect using USB). I'm pretty certain that's unwarranted but just want to put my mind at ease.

Thanks in advance for your guidance on this.

#12 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(GOwenGet @ Jul 22 2010, 08:19 PM)  

Thanks for all your advice to date Idotsfan. I'm hoping you'll be able to provide me with a little more.

Actually that's a letter l for London and not I in my nick, but nevermind, most people get it wrong tongue.gif

The pause that not having the correct game has given has made me consider upgrading the hdd before carrying out the actual mod. I've got a spare SATA 250GB drive that I'm considering using but don't know if using something like this would allow me to connect it to the XBOX once I've used xboxhdm.

The long thread on SATA-IDE adapters: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=648145

I've got my head around the process thanks to this. Is that process best practice?

I use this: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=244043

A concern I have (which only exists because of ignorance) is that if I use my HDD enclosure with my SATA drive and use xboxhdm 2.2 to format it I'm going to blast away the HDD management software on the enclosure (it's a NAS drive enclosure but can connect using USB). I'm pretty certain that's unwarranted but just want to put my mind at ease.

Can you backup the software beforehand? In case you want to revert?

#13 GOwenGet

GOwenGet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:03 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Jul 22 2010, 10:30 PM)  

Actually that's a letter l for London and not I in my nick, but nevermind, most people get it wrong tongue.gif

Sorry dude. Damn, I guess that makes me most people!

The long thread on SATA-IDE adapters: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=648145

I think it's a risk I'm willing to take, hmmm

Cool, it's a lot more thorough. The thing that confuses me is what the initial hdd being referred to is. Is it the actual xbox hdd that's been removed from the box, connected to the pc and had nothing else done to it or is it a fresh hdd connected to the pc?

The reason for the confusion is it mentions unlocking the drive. Is unlocking a drive necessary even for a fresh hdd?

Can you backup the software beforehand? In case you want to revert?

To be safe I think I'm going to go with the connecting the hdd directly to the pc using the SATA-IDE adaptor.

I'm committed to upgrading the hdd now, seems crazy to softmod with only an 8gb drive.

Is the only way to grab the eeprom file to ftp into the machine? And if so does the Ndure softmod allow for changing the xboxs IP details and backing up eeprom before committing to the softmod?

Thanks again for your help. It's much appreciated.

#14 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE(GOwenGet @ Jul 23 2010, 09:03 AM)  

I think it's a risk I'm willing to take, hmmm

A word of caution, you'll be dealing with 3 risks: initial softmod, SATA/IDE adapter and the hdd upgrade all at once if that's your plan.

The reason for the confusion is it mentions unlocking the drive. Is unlocking a drive necessary even for a fresh hdd?

Unlocking is not needed for a fresh hdd.

Is the only way to grab the eeprom file to ftp into the machine? And if so does the Ndure softmod allow for changing the xboxs IP details and backing up eeprom before committing to the softmod?

Krayzie's Ndure allows saving of eeprom.bin to a memory card - first slot of controller, H drive. But I'm not certain if the Micro SD card will be recognized as that drive dry.gif I have yet to figure out how the xbox handles drive mapping for an usb stick plugged into the xbox for a given slot.

#15 GOwenGet

GOwenGet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:05 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Jul 23 2010, 11:56 AM)  

A word of caution, you'll be dealing with 3 risks: initial softmod, SATA/IDE adapter and the hdd upgrade all at once if that's your plan.

Ok I'm convinced, looking over that thread again I'm keen to make it as easy on myself as possible. There's a local computer fair happening near me this weekend so I'll see what I can pick up there.

The plan is hdd upgrade, then softmod. Best way to go?

Krayzie's Ndure allows saving of eeprom.bin to a memory card - first slot of controller, H drive. But I'm not certain if the Micro SD card will be recognized as that drive dry.gif I have yet to figure out how the xbox handles drive mapping for an usb stick plugged into the xbox for a given slot.

I'll give saving to the formatted MicroSD a shot and then trfing to PC using AR. Although would this not work because AR only recognises saved game data? If that's the case do you have any idea what format the Memory card needs to be in to be able to copy to it using Ndure?

Edited by GOwenGet, 23 July 2010 - 05:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users