kmr575

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:26 AM

So I suffered with a horrible spindle for too long and just recently purchased a new one. Now my problem is, I cannot find the right height for the Allen screws that attach the spindle to the rest of the DVD unit. I know these slight adjustments are quite crucial. Now I'm here asking you more experienced members for some tips to find this sweet spot.

My symptoms are, "Play DVD". However, after ejecting and so forth for 10+ minutes, eventually, it will read it as an Xbox 360 game. Then, it plays fine. I never get dirty disc errors. I'm pretty sure it's just the height of the Allen screws I need to worry about.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the green circled screws need the adjusting, right? Well, I look forward to hearing from somebody. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IPB Image

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:01 AM

Correct, only the 2 outside Allen screws need to be adjusted.

No two drives are exactly the same for that adjustment either, so you'll still have to do some trial and error to get it just right.

Make sure the springs are under the plate at the 2 outside screws also, in case you had it all the way apart.

Start off by running them all the way in, not tight, just snug all the way down, then take a marker and draw a line from the center of the screw out until it touches the plate in any direction, that way you'll have a mark and when you turn it you'll know exactly how far you've turned it from where it originally was. You shouldn't have to go any more than 1.5 turns or so on each one to get it to wok good and if it doesn't with each one backed off that far turn the center screw back 1/4 of a turn and start over, then see how it works. Use a few different games as well as a DVD movie that you can skip around chapters so the Laser has to run the full length of the sled, it may read fine in the center but get worse the farther out it goes, or vice-versa, and that means it still needs a little adjustment one way or the other.

Edited by RDC, 17 July 2010 - 03:02 AM.

#3 kmr575

kmr575

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

Thanks RDC for your comments, unfortunately, you didn't really tell me anything I haven't already been doing. This is so frustrating. I just don't understand why it's being so stubborn. You or anyone else have other tips that might help?

#4 wyldstallions

wyldstallions

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

Your adjusting both the laser height (focus) and angle. Basically both have to be correct to get a decent read.

And just because it works in the middle of the disc, doesn't always mean its correct for edge to edge. It can literally be a nightmare and can take many many many hours of trial and error to get it working well.

I found the "quickest" way is have your xbox open and horizontal. remove the bottom of the dvd drive.
Then tip the dvd drive 90 deg, so the open bottom is facing toward the cpu end. (basically the drive is the wrong way up).

Warning don't tilt the drive while running or you may scratch the disc and never look directly at the pretty laser unless you like being partially blind.

Set the screws to a midway point of adjustment.

Carefully put in a disc you know works, you may need to hold the top of the drive in place till the magnets kick in and hold the whole lot together when the tray is shut and disc is in.

The advantage of having the open drive on the side is you can pretty much adjust it on the fly rather than putting it back together, test, take it apart, adjust, assemble, test etc.

Then basically adjust one screw at a time in small increments and keep starting and stopping the disk. Trying to get it to read or for the reads to get better and better.

Then lots and lots of patience.

The only other way i think aparently is with an ossciliscope thing....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users