• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 phatoneusa

phatoneusa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:41 AM

Hi I bought parts to a PS3 Hoping I could put one together and it's been nothing but problems I had to learn which drives match which controller boards and all the details.

I have a 20GB CECHG01 model PS3 and I've tried ordering 2 Blu-Ray drives off Ebay.

The first unit didn't read the discs, I assumed it was the laser. The seller sent the replacement drive to the wrong address and it was lost in the mail, Ebay didn't refund me and neither did the seller so I was out 80 bucks.

Then I bought another drive off Ebay this one is a KEM-400AAA Drive and a KES-400A Laser. When I stick a disc in the drive it does one clock cycle when loading and then nothing after that the clock just stays there.

So this leads me to my question.

Could it be possible the drive logic board was bad that I bought and that's why neither of the claimed working drive + lasers worked? So I'm SOL overall. Or do you think it's just I got 2 replacement drives with bad lasers in them and all I need to do is spend 50 and buy a new laser and everything works fine, I don't get the endless disc spinning though.

I've probably put like 500 into this system when it would have probably been a lot smarter to just buy the 300 dollar slim. Oh well. What should I do? Answers.

Edited by phatoneusa, 18 July 2010 - 03:42 AM.

#2 wildwild

wildwild

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

Hi there,

Did you replace the whole drive or just the laser with deck only? The drive board is married to the console so it won't work if you swap the whole drive without reprogramming the NAND chip with the original NAND.

Good luck.

Edited by wildwild, 18 July 2010 - 08:26 AM.

#3 phatoneusa

phatoneusa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

I replaced the drive and used the same drive logic board.

#4 wildwild

wildwild

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

I have the same problem as you are having now. Replaced the laser and deck (KEM-410A) and still nothing happened. Clock spun once. Laser did not move up and down or light up. Disc did not spin.

I suspect it does not have the original logic board.

Hopefully someone knows how to solve this.

sad.gif

#5 phatoneusa

phatoneusa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:09 AM

Is there a solution to this?

#6 phatoneusa

phatoneusa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:53 AM

Guy who sold me the board and logic card said he tested it before he shipped it. Bad laser?

#7 phatoneusa

phatoneusa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

Here is a video that I made recently can you see if this helps you diagnose the problem. Thanks.

#8 mygameswirelesscom

mygameswirelesscom

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Repair PSP PS2 XBOX
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(phatoneusa @ Sep 26 2010, 11:38 AM) View Post

Here is a video that I made recently can you see if this helps you diagnose the problem. Thanks.

hey see if your p3 have room(space)
i have same thing i formet restor form setting and working!!
my p3 had to much downlord to much so try formeting form setting
good luck wink.gif

#9 wildwild

wildwild

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE(wildwild @ Jul 18 2010, 11:32 AM) View Post

I have the same problem as you are having now. Replaced the laser and deck (KEM-410A) and still nothing happened. Clock spun once. Laser did not move up and down or light up. Disc did not spin.

I suspect it does not have the original logic board.

Hopefully someone knows how to solve this.

sad.gif

UPDATE: For those who are experienced with PS3 repairs with reballing tools

I knew the laser and tray were good after tested them in another PS3. I suspected that the board was bad and bought a second-hand BD board and tested it with my faulty drive. The disk spun up OK and the laser moved up and down (a good sign smile.gif) the analog clock on the screen DID NOT spin at all indicating that the NAND did not match the mainboard (obviously).

I then transferred the NAND chip over to the good board using a re-flow station and it worked flawlessly now smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

So Phatoneusa, you need to transfer the NAND over to a good board which requires professional tools sad.gif

Also, don't bother to replace the drive IC on the board because I did it on mine and it still had the same fault sad.gif

Good Luck,

smile.gif

Edited by wildwild, 11 October 2010 - 10:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users