Photo

Anybody Else Think The 007 Exploit Is A Bad Thing?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 pez

pez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 08:17 PM

More specifically, I think one of the reasons why MS has generally tolerated the mod scene is that the percentage of modders is relatively small. The fact that users were forced to physically open up their Xboxes to mod them has kept the numbers small, but with easily packaged software exploits such as the new Complex Loader 1.0, I think a lot of casual users might start jumping in.

Also, think about how the no-solder options from the Matrix chip led to so many clueless users flooding the scene without researching answers on their own. Now imagine that number multiplied many times over because now users who want to run modded software don't have to go through the effort of learning to physically install a modchip.

#2 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 July 2003 - 08:19 PM

I know...

But don't worry, I am sure MS$ will push down a live update to remedy this, or start putting a non-live update on all discs. I think we can all agree they are going to have to do something sad.gif

#3 Jreb892

Jreb892

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 08:47 PM

I hope that xbox will not die like dreamcast did.

#4 powerben5000

powerben5000

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 08:58 PM

I wouldn't worry about that. The biggest nail in Dreamcast's coffin came when Sega announced that they would no longer produce/support it... M$ has said repeatedly that they're in the console market for the long term...

#5 Jse

Jse

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 July 2003 - 09:13 PM

maby the games will but i dont use my xbox for games just homebrew programs like xbmp ava and for emus

and the dc scene isnt dead new programs are still developed and homebrew games are being developed at the same level as commercial games

http://boob.co.uk

#6 akula169

akula169

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 July 2003 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (pez @ Jul 2 2003, 01:17 PM)
More specifically, I think one of the reasons why MS has generally tolerated the mod scene is that the percentage of modders is relatively small. The fact that users were forced to physically open up their Xboxes to mod them has kept the numbers small, but with easily packaged software exploits such as the new Complex Loader 1.0, I think a lot of casual users might start jumping in.

Also, think about how the no-solder options from the Matrix chip led to so many clueless users flooding the scene without researching answers on their own. Now imagine that number multiplied many times over because now users who want to run modded software don't have to go through the effort of learning to physically install a modchip.

Why? Besides being a software hack, what really makes this any different than a modchip?

You don't have to know jack to install a modchip anyhow - just send it to an installer or buy a pre-modded box.

Have you ever developed software? Do you know how to fabricate a circuit board or program a chip? If people weren't doing these things for you and making your modding life easier, you wouldn't be here either. If it weren't for communities and boards like this, you'd still be a clueless punk too.

So get off your high horse. Don't sit there and think you are something special or should belong to some elite club for knowing how to solder and turn some screws.

Sorry, just had to give you something to think about. Maybe your mind will open up a little.

#7 anderj6

anderj6

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 09:57 PM

Amen akula169.

Could not have said it better myself.

People need to stop flaming noobs for not knowing as much because they were noobs not to long ago.

Alot of these geeks must think they are better then other people just because they know a few things about hacking the xbox.

#8 pez

pez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (akula169 @ Jul 2 2003, 03:55 PM)
Why? Besides being a software hack, what really makes this any different than a modchip?

You don't have to know jack to install a modchip anyhow - just send it to an installer or buy a pre-modded box.

There's a HUGE difference in accessibility between the Complex Loader and a modchip (even a pre-installed Matrix).

The Complex Loader doesn't cost the user anything to install AND it doesn't require opening up the console.

Despite what you might think, I have no high horse to get off of. I'm merely pointing out that removing those two factors (cost and effort) could easily bring in a huge flood of attention to the mod scene which could have severe negative results.

Joe User might balk at the idea of anybody opening up his Xbox especially if it cost money, but if a *free* software modification were available with an automated installer, I'm sure he and all his buddies would be jumping on.

That's the sort of widespread attention that could cause MS to stop looking the other direction.

#9 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (pez @ Jul 2 2003, 07:30 PM)
Why?  Besides being a software hack, what really makes this any different than a modchip?

There's a HUGE difference in accessibility between the Complex Loader and a modchip (even a pre-installed Matrix).

The Complex Loader doesn't cost the user anything to install AND it doesn't require opening up the console.

Despite what you might think, I have no high horse to get off of. I'm merely pointing out that removing those two factors (cost and effort) could easily bring in a huge flood of attention to the mod scene which could have severe negative results.

Joe User might balk at the idea of anybody opening up his Xbox especially if it cost money, but if a *free* software modification were available with an automated installer, I'm sure he and all his buddies would be jumping on.

That's the sort of widespread attention that could cause MS to stop looking the other direction.

If you think that's bad, wait until Friday.

I suspect the exploit that might be revealed will effectively make this hack a moot point.

...and unfortunately, it may also ruin XBL with a 'true' ability to run backups on a modified Xbox.

#10 vidgms4me

vidgms4me

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 July 2003 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Jul 2 2003, 07:34 PM)
Why?  Besides being a software hack, what really makes this any different than a modchip?

I suspect the exploit that might be revealed will effectively make this hack a moot point.

...and unfortunately, it may also ruin XBL with a 'true' ability to run backups on a modified Xbox.

BJ, how exactly do you know so much abou these exploits? Not accusing you of anything, just wondering if there is a big news source or anything?

Did I mention I'm a happy Mxm user?

#11 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (vidgms4me @ Jul 2 2003, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Jul 2 2003, 07:34 PM)

BJ, how exactly do you know so much abou these exploits? Not accusing you of anything, just wondering if there is a big news source or anything?

Did I mention I'm a happy Mxm user?

Well, I hear things, plus I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the underlying system.

**IF** the rumors are true, along with my own logical speculation, the breakthrough will be related to something interesting that's been worked on here in X-S' forums over the last couple weeks - but the crackers obviously are not THOSE people. Either the breakthrough was inspired by/a result of a utility app created for that research - OR simply an unusual coincidence.

If my guess is correct, you 'invade' the Xbox with the 007-type exploit, but no longer need it after the initial hack.... yet the Xbox BIOS is not modified after the dust settles.

This would likely be a bad thing.

XBL is slick.... it's the IDEAL business model for consumers!! Love 'em or hate 'em, M$ has a kick ass plan - pay ONE PRICE and enjoy Live enabled games in whatever way you want. compare this to Sony's asinine "ala Carte" plan that has you paying different publishers for different games.

Want to play three different XBL games in a month? You can for the single monthly payment... play those SAME three games under Sony's plan? Make that THREE Monthly payments!! EA likes Sony's plan, because they are greedy bastards and only see the short term picture.

Anyway, I'd hate to see XBL get hammered. It would indeed be a bad thing.

#12 pez

pez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Jul 2 2003, 05:04 PM)
XBL is slick.... it's the IDEAL business model for consumers!! Love 'em or hate 'em, M$ has a kick ass plan - pay ONE PRICE and enjoy Live enabled games in whatever way you want. compare this to Sony's asinine "ala Carte" plan that has you paying different publishers for different games.

Want to play three different XBL games in a month? You can for the single monthly payment... play those SAME three games under Sony's plan? Make that THREE Monthly payments!! EA likes Sony's plan, because they are greedy bastards and only see the short term picture.

Anyway, I'd hate to see XBL get hammered. It would indeed be a bad thing.

The business end of XBL is not the only thing that would be damaged by this speculated exploit.

Getting unsigned code to run on XBL would also open it up to cheaters. Who wants to play with a bunch of jerks who have to cheat because they're too immature to handle losing once in a while? Where's the fun in playing against someone who's invincible?

Let Sony keep their hacked online games, and let MS keep XBL cheat-free.

#13 ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:42 PM

Just to clear things up:
BenJeremy was probably refering to the following possible method:
1) Use 007 to get access to Xbox HDD
2) Modify original dash in a way that allows it to be run out-of-the-box (i.e. without 007 hack).
This is the hard part, since any change in that xbe would break the signature. This is why BenJeremy refered to a thread in this forum about hacking the scripting language of the dash:
Original Dash hacking
Maybe it would be possible to exploit the script language somehow in order to run something. But then again, this "something" would need to signed as well.
So what I think is we are missing one major step from always using 007 to running non-signed code right at bootup.

Another thing that is interesting is that the Complex Loader comes out just a few days before the 4th of july. Maybe it will be used in the "final" solution and _someone_ decided to release it earlier. Maybe to draw some attention, who knows.
Obviously a part of any solution would be replacing the original bios which is still in the memory. This can be done by the loader and that is why that loader is a major breakthrough.

Now all we need is a way to run that loader at bootup...

#14 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (ZakMcRofl @ Jul 2 2003, 08:42 PM)
Just to clear things up:
BenJeremy was probably refering to the following possible method:
1) Use 007 to get access to Xbox HDD
2) Modify original dash in a way that allows it to be run out-of-the-box (i.e. without 007 hack).
This is the hard part, since any change in that xbe would break the signature. This is why BenJeremy refered to a thread in this forum about hacking the scripting language of the dash:
Original Dash hacking
Maybe it would be possible to exploit the script language somehow in order to run something. But then again, this "something" would need to signed as well.
So what I think is we are missing one major step from always using 007 to running non-signed code right at bootup.

Another thing that is interesting is that the Complex Loader comes out just a few days before the 4th of july. Maybe it will be used in the "final" solution and _someone_ decided to release it earlier. Maybe to draw some attention, who knows.
Obviously a part of any solution would be replacing the original bios which is still in the memory. This can be done by the loader and that is why that loader is a major breakthrough.

Now all we need is a way to run that loader at bootup...

Well, mind you, it's purely my speculation.

They talked about a "chain of new exploits" - which implies there may be a weakness to be exploited by placing data files on the Xbox (XIP?) in a manner that would cause them to overflow similar to the 007 hack and manage to trigger executable code.

Um, I'm not saying any more, as what's occurred to me is an obvious answer, once the above is accomplished. huh.gif

#15 crapdude2001

crapdude2001

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:42 AM

Personally I feel that If the exploit is used for just running homebrew stuff and not illegal backups (Cut the crap people Id say 70-90% of the people who say they only need it for backups are pure bullshit) and I hope it never works for xbox live I like my XBL hack free and freeloader free!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users