Photo

Can I Recover An Accidentally Deleted Profile Off A Flash Drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrhaydel

mrhaydel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

Over the weekend I sold off my old 1st gen Xbox 360 and replaced it with the latest, smaller/quieter 360.

In the process, I moved (not copied) everything I cared about off my old 20 GB Xbox HD to a 16 GB flash drive, so that I could then move it from the flash drive to the new 250 GB Xbox HD.

To make a long story short, I wound up "recovering" my gamer tag via Xbox Live, and thought that included everything I'd need/want for my profile, so I went ahead and removed (read: deleted) my profile off the flash drive, because I figured I was done with it.

Well, little did I know that the profile data that I moved off my old HD to the flash drive, and eventually deleted, contained saved game data, and when I went to start up Red Dead Redemption, my heart sank as it told me that it couldn't find a single player saved game anywhere.

As a last ditch effort, I decided to download a few file recovery programs Lifehacker recommened (Recuva, PC Inpsector File Recovery, and Restoration) to see what those would find.

Recuva found a bunch of stuff that seems like it could be Xbox-related (I could definitely see gamer pictures, and at least one generic "Data" file that's exactly the size of what my profile was), but it also found a bunch of non-Xbox-related stuff, so here's my question:

Assuming I can filter out the non-Xbox stuff, does anyone know if I simply recover/restore the files in their original directory structure, place them back on the flash drive, and pop it back into my 360 if it will recognize them and let me do what I need? Or, does Microsoft/the Xbox have some rudimentary or proprietary way of formatting a thumb drive to allow you to use it for storage that it wouldn't be that simple?

FWIW, I've read about tampering with save games, and it sounds like it's shady enough that I'm not really willing to risk them resetting my gamerscore or banning me or what have you.

Also, if need be, I can still get access to my old 20 GB HD.

#2 icepir8icepir8

icepir8icepir8

X-S Senior Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(mrhaydel @ Jul 19 2010, 10:38 AM) View Post

Over the weekend I sold off my old 1st gen Xbox 360 and replaced it with the latest, smaller/quieter 360.

In the process, I moved (not copied) everything I cared about off my old 20 GB Xbox HD to a 16 GB flash drive, so that I could then move it from the flash drive to the new 250 GB Xbox HD.

To make a long story short, I wound up "recovering" my gamer tag via Xbox Live, and thought that included everything I'd need/want for my profile, so I went ahead and removed (read: deleted) my profile off the flash drive, because I figured I was done with it.

Well, little did I know that the profile data that I moved off my old HD to the flash drive, and eventually deleted, contained saved game data, and when I went to start up Red Dead Redemption, my heart sank as it told me that it couldn't find a single player saved game anywhere.

As a last ditch effort, I decided to download a few file recovery programs Lifehacker recommened (Recuva, PC Inpsector File Recovery, and Restoration) to see what those would find.

Recuva found a bunch of stuff that seems like it could be Xbox-related (I could definitely see gamer pictures, and at least one generic "Data" file that's exactly the size of what my profile was), but it also found a bunch of non-Xbox-related stuff, so here's my question:

Assuming I can filter out the non-Xbox stuff, does anyone know if I simply recover/restore the files in their original directory structure, place them back on the flash drive, and pop it back into my 360 if it will recognize them and let me do what I need? Or, does Microsoft/the Xbox have some rudimentary or proprietary way of formatting a thumb drive to allow you to use it for storage that it wouldn't be that simple?

FWIW, I've read about tampering with save games, and it sounds like it's shady enough that I'm not really willing to risk them resetting my gamerscore or banning me or what have you.

Also, if need be, I can still get access to my old 20 GB HD.

it maybe posible if you have not copied and new files to your key. When the Xbox deletes a file or directory it just flags it as deleted. I know I could recover it for you but explaining how to do it would be rather invovled.

#3 mrhaydel

mrhaydel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(icepir8icepir8 @ Jul 19 2010, 01:16 PM) View Post

it maybe posible if you have not copied and new files to your key. When the Xbox deletes a file or directory it just flags it as deleted. I know I could recover it for you but explaining how to do it would be rather invovled.

Okay, I'm at work now, but I'm gonna give my idea a whirl, and just see how it goes, but I certainly would appreciate hearing how else I might be able to recover it.

Any one can feel free to email me at michael dot haydel at gmail dot com to give more lengthy explanations if need be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users