Photo

Did Reflow If Ps3 And Now It Works But Gets Hot Quickly!?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sjalsip

sjalsip

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

So I did a reflow on a ps3, that had the ylod, with a rework station. I then put fresh arctic silver in it and put it back together. It now works, however, it gets hot rather quickly. After about 5 min of idle you can feel the heat coming from the back of it. So I did some reading and asked quite a few questions and I found a "washer trick" that will pull the heat sinks tighter to the chips. Now with the washer trick in place it does run cooler but still gets extremely hot. It just seems that the washer trick got is keeping it cool longer. At the same time it just seems within a week or two of play I will get the ylod again. Is there any thing else that can be done? I have been told that I may need to remove the heatspreaders and put arctic silver under those aswell if this is true how do I remove the heatspreaders? Is there a way to do a fan mod on the ps3?

#2 postal worker

postal worker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:39 AM

a razor blade will remove it...it's kinda "glued" on.

IPB Image

i don't think there is a fan mod..there is a fan replacement depending on model of PS3

some have a 19blade fan and others i think have 15 bladed fans... need less to say people recommend the 19bladed fan.

#3 sjalsip

sjalsip

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

Ok once it is off does it need to be glued back on? If so how do I go about gluing it back on? Elmers, crazyglu..? LOL

#4 postal worker

postal worker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:20 PM

just use thermal paste ...

#5 sjalsip

sjalsip

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:38 AM

is there a chance of pulling any part of the chip off or breaking the ink by removing the heatspreader? be really gentle? or can i pry at it a bit?

Edited by sjalsip, 23 July 2010 - 12:41 AM.

#6 Kenny_Rogers

Kenny_Rogers

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:14 AM

There is a ps3 internal fan mod, where you can add a potentiometer:

http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry4690002

I personally have reflowed a 60gb launch console successfully (*knock on wood!*), have done the fan mod to run at pretty high speed, used flux, c-washers on the clamps, and AS5 on the chips. Im now waiting on a cooler running APS-231 power supply for the unit, since the original super hot ZSSR5391A PSU went out. *I did the ATX PSU hookup power supply test on it to make sure no ylod came up and it powered up normally before ordering the part though...It made it able to get the game out! ph34r.gif The recent symptoms the PS3 had were those pointing to either a burned out fan, or a PSU issue, fan was tested seperately and worked fine. The red light shut completeley off before being able to even make the fan spin a little (after pressing the power button).

3 tips I recommend:
-AS5 or better thermal compound on the chips.
-PSU replacement (IF your console is compatible with the cooler running one)
-19 blade fan (if your console is compatible with that also)

And of course, the obvious "plenty of breathing room" applies.
smile.gif

*YLOD was "fixed" last week of may, has held online gaming abuse (nephews PS3!), no "chips related ylod" yet 'til this day and Im hoping it stays that way.

#7 sjalsip

sjalsip

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:55 AM

ok i got the heatspeader off, however, i managed to knock off 2 of the bluish green compacitors or resistors or whatever they may be. is there a way to fix that? i am sure that i can solder new ones on but what are they?

Edited by sjalsip, 24 July 2010 - 04:56 AM.

#8 sjalsip

sjalsip

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

IPB Image ok so i tried to show what exactly i broke off i know it is hard to see but i circled them there are 2 spots and 3 things that are missing. the ps3 turns on without them however the fans kick up and it turns off within 30 sec sometimes less.

Edited by sjalsip, 24 July 2010 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users