• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sheepz

sheepz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

So I know it's not out yet, but I'm really excited about it and I saw it went on pre-order on toys R us earlier today for 99 bucks (the sale is over now) so I wanted to buy it but it got me thinking - will this clash with a hacked box? will there be any problems that we can forsee?
will backups still be playable?
Please share your thoughts/speculations/ideas!
Thanks,
sh

#2 inspuration

inspuration

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE(sheepz @ Jul 22 2010, 05:18 PM) View Post

So I know it's not out yet, but I'm really excited about it and I saw it went on pre-order on toys R us earlier today for 99 bucks (the sale is over now) so I wanted to buy it but it got me thinking - will this clash with a hacked box? will there be any problems that we can forsee?
will backups still be playable?
Please share your thoughts/speculations/ideas!
Thanks,
sh

There are two potential answers to this question:

1) For Jtags: Hopefully a new freeboot is released which allows rebooting into hacked 12xxx kernel. Kinect should actually work better with a jtag console. The applications for kinect homebrew are astounding. I personally hope for a kinect compatible FSD 3.0

2) For flashed drive users: Oooooh boy you are screwed. Microsoft has implemented mandatory drive firmware checks in the new 12xxx dashboard. Prepare for a ban-wave the likes of which has yet to be seen.

#3 red_ring_of_box

red_ring_of_box

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:06 AM

Seeing as it has not yet been released and we don't have the ability to see into the future we pretty much have no idea.

If you want my opinion I'm pretty sure with the new dash redesign Microsoft will have an epic ban wave like inspuration said as the new dash is supposed to check the hash of code segments on the dvd drive's firmware and even store ban data offline so you will be banned as soon as you connect to XBL, or so I've heard wink.gif

#4 sheepz

sheepz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Jul 23 2010, 05:06 AM) View Post

... Microsoft will have an epic ban wave ...

Let's assume for a second that this is true... does it mean that a hacked/banned drive will not be able to use kinect?
Does kinect require XBL?

QUOTE(inspuration @ Jul 23 2010, 05:01 AM) View Post

Oooooh boy you are screwed.

Well, let's be positive here - new hardware sometimes means new vulnerabilities...

#5 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

I myself got in on that Kinect ToysRUs.com deal. I was quite happy to have been informed of it. biggrin.gif

I haven't seen Kinect advertised as requiring Xbox LIVE, so I strongly doubt Microsoft will make that a requirement.

Backups won't be prevented by the new dash. I think it'd be incredibly hard, if not impossible, to stop modified firmware on a dime like that. However, there is a question as to the purpose of fcrt.bin and how it will affect users of modified firmware on Xbox LIVE. The final verdict is yet to have been given down, but speculation suggests that there are function calls Microsoft can implement to read out specific sections of code within the DVD-ROMs. Given that these sections of code are known, Microsoft can check the data read out for modifications and ban from LIVE those consoles which don't check against the database.

As for the "new vulnerabilities": adding a new peripheral will not introduce new significant system vulnerabilities--at least the kind we've seen before. Keep in mind that the Xbox 360 has only had 1 significant vulnerability that compromised system security. It has been exploited in different ways, but at the core it's the same security hole. That hole is now patched. So don't get your hopes up. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users