#1 hybridkiddd

hybridkiddd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

Ok so I was fitting some new fans into my xbox and tested them out, they worked fine. I started to assemble the xbox and about half way I checked to see if everything worked fine before I finish assembling.

Then, for some reason the fans were at 100% on start-up and it sounded like something had blown. I can smell a slight burning smell. I switched back to the stock fans and still they were at 100%. I then tried to alter the fan speed in freestyle dash but that didn't do anything. Then I tried fanspeedflasher and that didn't work either.

Then, I popped open the case and found this:

IPB Image
IPB Image

There's a tiny hole that was burnt through the fan speed controller/transistor. I guess it got overloaded and that's what the slight pop noise was.

There's even a black burn mark on the metal case the motherboard sits in:

IPB Image

Is there a replacement part that I can buy?

Is it a hard thing to replace?

Should I have a professional replace it?

Should I just forget about the transistor and put a 12v/5v switch for the fans?

Thanks in advance,

-XsV161

#2 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

That is a MOSFET you can buy them cheaply and aren't hard to fix you just unsolder and solder a new one you can find them on repair websties and sometimes eBay.

#3 raven2510

raven2510

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

Mines fried too...Anybody know a Part # so I can order some?

Is this it?
http://www.newark.co...jsp?SKU=58K0079

#4 raven2510

raven2510

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:18 AM

great.

what about these...if I remove the center leg?
http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062618

#5 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:15 AM

Unfourtanetly this is not one that that would work either. It would destroy the MOBO to have that put on there.

Try what I said before they worked for me other wise the correct MOSFETS are extremely hard to find now a days.

#6 hybridkiddd

hybridkiddd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE(superfireball123 @ Jul 27 2010, 06:15 PM) View Post

Unfourtanetly this is not one that that would work either. It would destroy the MOBO to have that put on there.
Try what I said before they worked for me other wise the correct MOSFETS are extremely hard to find now a days.

Any desoldering advice? I want to do this myself but I want it done right. I'd rather have a professional do it but I only have enough money to buy parts sad.gif.

#7 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:37 AM

Solder vaccum or solder sucker works best you'd be extremely surprised it was easy to unsolder unlike an ethernet port.

#8 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,785 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

They're all Transistors, not FETs.

The Newer boards use one MJD210 or an ST D888.

The Xenon's are either BCP51 or ZT751 and you'll need 2 of them for those boards.

None of them are that difficult to find either once you know what you're looking for.

@ hybridkiddd - The only thing about replacing it is you'll need a good deal of heat to remove it as the Tab is soldered to the board. Also, the fact that thing popped like that might mean there is something else wrong with the controller circuit, so a new one could pop as well or fail prematurely. If you do replace it make sure you don't have the board facing up or are around that thing in case it does decided to fail again. It's very rare nowadays for parts to explode like that, and when they do bits of them go flying.

#9 hybridkiddd

hybridkiddd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Jul 27 2010, 06:56 PM) View Post

The Xenon's are either BCP51 or ZT751 and you'll need 2 of them for those boards.

None of them are that difficult to find either once you know what you're looking for.
@ hybridkiddd - The only thing about replacing it is you'll need a good deal of heat to remove it as the Tab is soldered to the board. Also, the fact that thing popped like that might mean there is something else wrong with the controller circuit, so a new one could pop as well or fail prematurely. If you do replace it make sure you don't have the board facing up or are around that thing in case it does decided to fail again. It's very rare nowadays for parts to explode like that, and when they do bits of them go flying.

There's nothing wrong with the controller circuit. I looked into it a bit and it turns out the fan duct I was temporarily using had some stripped wire for LED's connected directly to the fan connector and the slightly stripped wire grounded out on the CPU heatsink. Luckily the fan transistor was the only thing that broke. I won't be using that fan duct anymore >:[

#10 hybridkiddd

hybridkiddd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:22 AM

Oh, and can anyone link me to where I can get the MJD210 transistor?

#11 raven2510

raven2510

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE(RDC @ Jul 28 2010, 02:56 AM) View Post

Ok...so I'm pretty much stuck buying off ebay then. i can't find either of those anywhere.

My 360 is less than 2 months old. I do happen to have 10 of the DCP51 laying around...can those be used in place?

#12 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:27 AM

Well I classify them different than you which is fine everybody knows what they are in there own way. They have been alot harder for me to find lately and I knew what I was looking for. Can't they be considered as both. And yes the 2 tabs are alot easier to get off compared to the last big one.

#13 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,785 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:40 AM

@ hybridkiddd - Use the STD888T4 instead, you can find it at DigiKey.

@ raven2510 - No you can not use the BCP51/ZT751 on the newer version boards.

@ superfireball123 - A FET is a Field Effect Transistor, so you can call it that, which is most commonly shortened from MOSFET, and they are not like Bipolar Transistors at all, which is what these are. So just like you can call a car and an airplane both a mode of transportation, one is different from the other and using the correct term instead of a generic one is just better for everyone overall, especially if someone is asking you for a ride. wink.gif

#14 raven2510

raven2510

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:48 AM

Ok...I ordered 5 of them(STD888T4) from Digikey.

thank you very much RDC for you help. i will finally be able to play my 360 again.

Edited by raven2510, 28 July 2010 - 04:49 AM.

#15 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:50 AM

Correct very true. I knew that I'm not going to argue with your logic (because it sounds correct) but you seem to really know what you are doing. RDC how long have you been in the field of gaming consoles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users