#1 Unknown45678

Unknown45678

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hi there,

After replacing the x-clamps and overheating my Xbox I recieved the error 0110 which is a ram error (Originaly it had the error 0020). So I had a look at the motherboard and found out that there are four surface components missing. They are:

C2D4
C2E1
R4F1
R4F2

So I'd like to know what they are, i.e capacitors and how I can get spares. I was thinking of getting a cheap mobo on ebay to replace these components.

Also are there any tips for soldering small surface components? I've heard a mignifying glass, twezers and a low wattage soldering iron (With a small tip) should be fine!?

Heres what I managed to find out about one component:

C2E1
Measured Values:
Rev -> Value
1.0 -> 1500uF 6.3V

and here are pics (I don't know how to embed):
http://img137.images...i/dscf5575.jpg/
http://img442.images...i/dscf5578.jpg/

Lastly my mobo is either a Xenon or a Zepher. It was manufactured in 2006.

Thanks for the help, I've seen a similar forum here and I'm hoping I can be helped!

#2 byronneus

byronneus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

ok i see the ones you are talking about. In the pictures the components are missing. They seem like they would be very delicate to replace, but its probably worth a try.

Edited by RDC, 27 July 2010 - 12:25 AM.

#3 Unknown45678

Unknown45678

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(byronneus @ Jul 26 2010, 07:22 PM) View Post

ok i see the ones you are talking about. I have a cheap motherboard, but i dont believe we are allowed to discuss that on this forum. In the pictures the components are missing. They seem like they would be very delicate to replace, but its probably worth a try.

Thats the problem I have, it may be too delacate to try. So what I'm going to do is buy a faulty mobo on Ebay and see from there. I think I've probably damaged the ram by running the machine without those components.

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

You don't need to worry about replacing the Capacitors, C2E1 and C2D4, they're Decoupling and aren't going to hurt anything with them missing.

The Resistors though do need to be replaced and I'd seriously doubt it's caused any damage trying to start it up with them missing, but it'll definitely not work with them missing.

They don't have to be replacements from another 360 board either, just as long as they're the correct values.

R4F1 - 549ohm 1%
R4F2 - 1.27k 1%

Those are Precision Resistors, and they need to be replaced with ones of the same values and tolerance, but they don't have to be from another 360 board, they can be any size as long as you can get them soldered on there in the right places.

Removing that kind of part isn't too difficult. First resolder each end of the component, so you have some fresh solder on there and that will make things go easier when heating it up to remove it. Then heat both ends of it a the same time and remove it. Most soldering irons are wide enough that you'll be able to heat up both ends of that small of a component at the same time to remove it, or you can 'drown' the part in solder to heat both sides at the same time and remove it, then clean it up to install on the new board.

Installing them is much easier if you get yourself some masking tape, don't use scotch, electrical or any kind of plastic/vinyl tape as it will melt, use masking tape. Clean off the solder pads first, just flow some fresh solder over them and clean them up, don't let it 'mound' up real high on the pad, a little bit is OK though, or use some solder wick and clean them off so they're flat. Place the masking tape over half of the part you're going to install, so one end is sticking out, then you can place it where it needs to be on the board and the tape will hold it there, and keep both hands free, then you can solder that one end in place. After that's soldered remove the tape and solder the other end, done.

#5 Unknown45678

Unknown45678

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Jul 26 2010, 11:18 PM) View Post

You don't need to worry about replacing the Capacitors, C2E1 and C2D4, they're Decoupling and aren't going to hurt anything with them missing.

The Resistors though do need to be replaced and I'd seriously doubt it's caused any damage trying to start it up with them missing, but it'll definitely not work with them missing.

They don't have to be replacements from another 360 board either, just as long as they're the correct values.

R4F1 - 549ohm 1%
R4F2 - 1.27k 1%

Those are Precision Resistors, and they need to be replaced with ones of the same values and tolerance, but they don't have to be from another 360 board, they can be any size as long as you can get them soldered on there in the right places.

Removing that kind of part isn't too difficult. First resolder each end of the component, so you have some fresh solder on there and that will make things go easier when heating it up to remove it. Then heat both ends of it a the same time and remove it. Most soldering irons are wide enough that you'll be able to heat up both ends of that small of a component at the same time to remove it, or you can 'drown' the part in solder to heat both sides at the same time and remove it, then clean it up to install on the new board.

Installing them is much easier if you get yourself some masking tape, don't use scotch, electrical or any kind of plastic/vinyl tape as it will melt, use masking tape. Clean off the solder pads first, just flow some fresh solder over them and clean them up, don't let it 'mound' up real high on the pad, a little bit is OK though, or use some solder wick and clean them off so they're flat. Place the masking tape over half of the part you're going to install, so one end is sticking out, then you can place it where it needs to be on the board and the tape will hold it there, and keep both hands free, then you can solder that one end in place. After that's soldered remove the tape and solder the other end, done.

Thanks for that that is very helpful. After the resistors are soldered should I leave the missing capacitors as they are or bridge the connection?

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

Leave them open. You should never bridge the spots where a Capacitor was installed.

In the case of a Decoupling Capacitor if you bridged it, you'd create a short from a voltage line to Ground.

In the case of a Coupling Capacitor if it was bridged, you'd send DC voltage into some place that only AC needs to be, typically an IC input, which would either damage the IC or cause it to not work correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users