• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 killer1110

killer1110

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

well first off: my xbox 360 doesn't work anymore (RROD -> unknown error, it just wouldn't work; no video, case fan wouldn't turn on, etc.) so now i'm using the 360's parts for other things.

well here's the story of how i connected the 360's case fan to my pc xD (not really mine, i tested it on my brother's pc, i still need to wait for my new CPU to arrive untill i can use my pc T.T):

On a hot day (35C outside) my room became sooo hot that i couldn't sleep or rest or anything(friggin windows!)
i don't have an airconditioner in my room so i needed to come up with something fast!
well i had my dead 360 still lying around so i took it's case fan and connected it to an AC -> DC adaptor (12V 0.3A, a single fan needs 0.4A (how much would 2 of em need then? ohmy.gif ); anyways, i connected both of em to the adaptor, and then the case fan started blowing air to me, and tbh it was more then those ordinary case fan's could blow, i was using both of em and since my power adaptor couldn't give all the power that was needed i used one of the fan's for a minute, and well it still was enough, well not as much as those airconditioner's would but it was better than nothing happy.gif , it helped alot tough

after 2 weeks (that's today), i needed a new cpu fan, i checked out the 360's case fan, looked at where the cable went, took off the stickers, and i found that there was a 3rd place for connecting a cable (i guessed that it would be for checking the speed, turns out i was right), i took on of the fans (half of the whole thing ;o)
and soldered a 3rd cable to it, the 3pin connector didn't have the right pinout for a pc, so i changed it,
then i connected it to one of the pc's at my house, and it worked!, altough that pc didn't have the right hardware for monitoring fan speeds T.T (not even in the bios)
so i went for my brothers pc, and guess what, i thought it was running at 3000 RPM , but it was running at 4820RPM blink.gif , it wasn't overpowered tough.
well next step was changing it's speeds trough the pc (but that pc didn't support that), but that doesn't matter, i lowered the speed to 3000RPM (manually, don't ask me how xD), and the whole thing was really quiet (quieter than those cpu coolers) and it had enough airflow ^^,
so next i connected it to my cpu heatsink (AM2+) and everything worked well (but i still have to wait for the CPU to arrive, so no tests untill then T.T)

that's kinda it, i'll post some pictures later

PS: i just registered , and this is my first post ^^
and i don't know if most people already know these things, i didn't find anything on google about the specs sad.gif (friggin windows, Bill Gates and Microsoft !!! dry.gif )

if you have questions, please feel free to ask them ^^

#2 killer1110

killer1110

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

here are some pictures

half of the 360's case fan that i used

IPB Image

IPB Image

new cables

IPB Image

heatsink

IPB Image

IPB Image

heatsink and fan

IPB Image

IPB Image

that's kinda it happy.gif

#3 killer1110

killer1110

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

i just tested it on my laptop (it's easy to get a heatsink on it),and it work really good ^^
from 50C to 40C, nad if the fan is turned off, it gets back to 50C in 2 minutes
its a pentium 3 tough, really hot dry.gif
if i just could find my resistors to slow the fan down to 3000RPM, it would be really quiet then love.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users