• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gamesx

gamesx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

I have a Xbox 1.6 and a Xcalibur video encoder, and as we know certain games do not display 480p, here is the list that dont work in 480p, Arctic Thunder, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gun Valkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Voodoo Vince, metal slug 3. there are also games like Mortal Kombat Armageddon that wont display in 720p cause of the Xcalibur video encoder. I modded my Xbox with Auto installer deluxe, 007 save, softmod v4.52. I have a duel boot install of XBMC, power on is XBMC and power on with eject is microsoft dash retail. I want to force 480i on the system so I can play these games installed on the hard drive, I tried turning all the hdtv settings off, and the lowest it goes to is 480p, im using a Monster cable xbox Component cable with digital optical, I know I can play these games in 480i in the duel boot microsoft retail dash, but I want to use XBMC for the hard drive install. iv read how you can force 480i in a video.bin file, but I dont know where to do it, im good at ftp, iv learned alot about my xbox, and learned almost all about modding, but I dont know how to force 480i?

Please can anyone give a detailed way of forcing 480i with my setup, id be so happy, thank you, and yes this is my first post,

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

I don't know for certain that this works with the 1.6, but.....

With SID 5.1 and Kingroach NDURE 3.1 it's easy. You create a text file containing a single 0 (that's zero), and call it video.bin. For Kingroach you put it in E:\NKP11\ while for SID 5.1 you bypass shadow C and put it in C:\SID5\ on the real C partition.

However, I'm not sure how you do it for SID 4.52.

Unless you get a reply from someone who knows the detail of how to make SID 4.52 work at a low level, your best bet is to update to Kingroach NDURE 3.1 (follow the instructions in the Kingroach manual chapters 4 and 5 to build a new softmod file set, then bypass shadow C and use FTP to replace the files), then use the video.bin method. Make sure you backup your eeprom before you start.

Edited by Heimdall, 26 July 2010 - 11:59 PM.

#3 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

Sorry. For some reason that last post double posted.........

Edited by Heimdall, 26 July 2010 - 11:58 PM.

#4 gamesx

gamesx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:05 AM

I feel bad for not knowing but how do you bypass shadow C and put it in C:\SID5\ on the real C partition, if I know this I should be able to figure it out, thanks

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:47 AM

With SID you may not even have shadow C (it allows you to install without one), but if you do have shadow C and can't figure out which SID tools to use to bypass it, just boot with Frosty's Rescue disc.

Maybe my post wasn't clear enough. SID 4.52 doesn't have a C:\SID5\ folder, and even if you put one there the softmod doesn't look in there for video.bin or for any other file. Have a look at the tools that came with SID 4.52, see if any of them explain how to change the video mode. If not, then you need to install another softmod, and Kingroach is ideal for an FTP installation.

#6 gamesx

gamesx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jul 26 2010, 08:47 PM) View Post

With SID you may not even have shadow C (it allows you to install without one), but if you do have shadow C and can't figure out which SID tools to use to bypass it, just boot with Frosty's Rescue disc.

Maybe my post wasn't clear enough. SID 4.52 doesn't have a C:\SID5\ folder, and even if you put one there the softmod doesn't look in there for video.bin or for any other file. Have a look at the tools that came with SID 4.52, see if any of them explain how to change the video mode. If not, then you need to install another softmod, and Kingroach is ideal for an FTP installation.

I looked through all the tools, and manual, they dont say anything about it, I I looked at my original c drive, and I have a sid folder, I added the video.bin test file, inside the file I typed the number 0, and it dont work, please if you know anything more that can help, bare with me

Maybe my post wasn't clear enough. SID 4.52 doesn't have a C:\SID5\ folder, yes it does im looking right at it

Edited by gamesx, 27 July 2010 - 06:38 AM.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

If you have a SID5 folder then You used SID 5, taken from AID 4.52........... rolleyes.gif

Three possibilities:
1. your video.bin file isn't right
2. SID5 hasn't implemented full support for video.bin
3. force 480i doesn't work on 1.6 Xboxes

To check 1, The easiest way to make video.bin in Windows is with notepad, then rename the file - just make sure that you have Explorer set to display file extensions (Tools - Folder Options - View, then uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

If it's 2 then you need to use another softmod.

If it's 3 then there's nothing you can do!

#8 gamesx

gamesx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

I thank you for trying to help, but it seems know one else knows, I think when I had my other softmod it wasnt auto installer and it still wouldnt force 480i yes I made the bin file right notpad named it video.bin yes the file name was a bin file with the number 0 in the file.

it might be my 1.6 ,damn Microsoft for making the Xcalibur in all the new xboxes, the Conexant video encoder was the best, they had to remove it and break all these games, I know there saving money doing it, but they have so much money, im still hurting from them changing the video chip!! do you think I should use a xbox with a Conexant chip and forget all this 480i issues? I have a Sealed xbox from 2002, but I dont want to open it cause they are so rare and good to me, and I might not find one again new, I use a 1.6 cause there much more common, and if a 1.6 breaks down, 1.6's are easy to find, thats my theory anyway

one more thing, does anyone still use there modded xbox to play games, it seems on these forms, on xboxHQ no one plays games on it, its all media center, the reason I use XBMC is cause the games load faster on it, unleashx they load seconds slower at startup

any input would help

#9 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:20 AM

you must have 480p turned off in the EEPROM
virtual or real whatever it's using....

I use XBMC is cause the games load faster on it
Evox is faster

Edited by xman954, 31 July 2010 - 03:22 AM.

#10 gamesx

gamesx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(xman954 @ Jul 30 2010, 09:20 PM) View Post

you must have 480p turned off in the EEPROM
virtual or real whatever it's using....
Evox is faster

how do I turn off 480p in the eeprom

#11 gamesx

gamesx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:17 AM

does anyone else know??

#12 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:56 AM

video.bin can only force 480p

you need to make sure all HD setting are off in the MS dash with the virtual EPROM disabled

use E:\EEPROM_off.bin or E:\NKP11\EEPROM_off.bin

then make sure XBMC is not set to use HD settings

Edited by xman954, 03 August 2010 - 03:56 AM.

#13 gamesx

gamesx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE(xman954 @ Aug 2 2010, 09:56 PM) View Post

video.bin can only force 480p

you need to make sure all HD setting are off in the MS dash with the virtual EPROM disabled

use E:\EEPROM_off.bin or E:\NKP11\EEPROM_off.bin

then make sure XBMC is not set to use HD settings

I tried this it does not work, is it my 1.6 xbox? what could it be, does anyone have a 1.6

#14 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:28 AM

I know I can play these games in 480i in the duel boot microsoft retail dash
are you sure, then i would try evox (as the boot dash) to run the games and see if it works that way (it knows\does nothing to change HD settings)

if that does not work then you must have a virtual EEPROM with HD settings enabled

OR

SID was compiled with force 480p and the video.bin (with a "0") was not in the correct path

If not, then you need to install another softmod, and Kingroach is ideal for an FTP installation
i'll 2nd that..

#15 gamesx

gamesx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(xman954 @ Aug 5 2010, 09:28 PM) View Post

are you sure, then i would try evox (as the boot dash) to run the games and see if it works that way (it knows\does nothing to change HD settings)

if that does not work then you must have a virtual EEPROM with HD settings enabled

OR

SID was compiled with force 480p and the video.bin (with a "0") was not in the correct path

i'll 2nd that..

does anyone know if its just a 1.6 problem or is it truly the softmod for 480i

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users