Photo

Xbox 1.0 Service Screen W/ No Error Number....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EvilCorpse

EvilCorpse

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

as of right now I' have a 1.0 xbox with no error #s on the service screen and a flashing red-green ring, and the hdd wont unlock for hotswap with the error 12 trick. The stock flubber screen is still present.

the xbox was already taken apart, missing the 6 case screws and the dvd drive when i received it... I tried putting my dvd drive from another xbox in but still getting the service screen.. I tried to hotswap with error 12 method (still gave no number) but it seems it did not unlock from the flubber screen...
the hdd is a seagate st310014ace...
I'm not sure if it is the HDD that is nuked or the mcpx, or if anything else could be the cause of this. the HDD made a loud almost grinding spinning noise one time when resetting (hoping for it to boot like normal) but other than that 1 time it's all sounded fine and normal... the mcpx runs a little hot to the touch (not sure if that's normal on 1.0s since they are ran higher voltage than required as is)... currently I don't have access to an eeprom reader so making a new hdd is out of the question for now...

If any one has experience with burnt out mcpx's on an xbox, will the hdd still unlock with the error 12 trick if the mcpx is bad??

is there any way to test if the hdd is bad without the eeprom to unlock it and without losing the files (assuming its ok)? I'm not sure if this is even worth bothering with trying to construct an eeprom reader to build a new hdd if it isn't even the fault of the hdd...

Edited by EvilCorpse, 27 July 2010 - 01:15 PM.

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:08 AM

If the MCPX were faulty I would not expect the console to be capable of booting to an error screen.

1.0 consoles won't throw any error codes unless you modchip or TSOP flash them.

Usually an error screen will point at either the HDD or the files on it. In rare occasions, the HDD will fail to spin up due to a faulty power supply.

To test the PSU, just hook the HDD up to your PC's power supply (leaving the IDE cable connected to the X-Box motherboard), start the PC, then the console. If it works normally like this then the console needs a new supply installed.

There's also a (very slight) chance that the IDE cable is faulty, or even that the socket where the cable connects to the motherboard might be loose. Easy enough to test these things; try a different cable, and reheat the relevant solder joins on the underside of the motherboard.

If none of that stuff fixes it, then it's highly likely the HDD is at fault. It may be that the drive isn't physically broken, but the files on it are just messed up; either way, an EEPROM reader should allow you to sort things out.

#3 EvilCorpse

EvilCorpse

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:28 AM

That's good to hear that it shouldn't be the MCPX. I'm going to assume that it is the HDD then, I just rebuilt my eeprom reader so I'll give it a go and use my 1.6's old HDD and see if that works.. i tried the cable out of a working xbox and that didn't change anything so if it's not the MCPX I'm going to assume the HDD is just bricked. I'll repost my results after I get the new HDD rebuilt, not sure when i will be able to do so however, as i need to hook up another computer to use the reader.

Edited by EvilCorpse, 28 July 2010 - 03:29 AM.

#4 EvilCorpse

EvilCorpse

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

awesome. So the hdd rebuild was a success. This time i built the eeprom reader with solder, read first try.
It was the old hdd after all that was messed up.
glad to know it wasn't something major happy.gif

now i just need to figure out how to tsop flash uhh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users