8 replies to this topic

#1 cheema201

cheema201

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:22 AM

Hey madmab.. Just a quick question about dosxbox.

I know that you have been doing an overhall of many emulators that xport has brough to the xbox, which is brilliant. I have given most of the updated versions a go, and have been impressed at the implementation of many additions (even the small things like throttle on pcsxbox, that now seems to have fixed it from rolling over when exiting the UI menu in game.)

I've noticed that you have done a great deal of work on consoles, which I can understand as this is where ressx also gets excited. Though you seem to me to be an enthuasist of the old computer systems also...

dosxbox is by far my favourite emulator, the first time I actually installed a dos game on my xbox (without pre installing it on my pc to gain the necessary files) was amazing. Winuaex has done a fantastic job with amiga emulation, I would say near perfect (apart from some small issues with AGA, but that is extremely minor). That is not to say that dosxbox is anything short of fantastic, as it does handle most favourites with ease. Do I hear a shout out for Aladdin? Jazz jackrabbit? and Dangerous Dave? haha... Sorry a bit of nostalgia...

Though I was simply wondering if you had any plans for dosxbox... If you were not planning at having a look over it before reading this then I will be happy with an immediate answer of no. I was just interested to see if this was something that was being considered, and I thought you would be the best man to give a shout out to in this regard.

Thanks for an answer either way.

And keep up the work that is appreciated by everyone who has graced the xbox scene. Thanks again

#2 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:16 AM

Yes.. tongue.gif

Like winuaex it ended up at the end of the pipeline due to the complexity of what we want to do. But there are plans for both. Look for a release of winuaex soon.

I also plan on releasing MekaX soon as well. Just that my bandwidth is a little tied up atm so uploads are shit.

#3 cheema201

cheema201

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:14 AM

Fantastic news!!

I thought that you seemed like an enthusiast for the old computer generation...

Amiga has such a strong foundation for compatibility already, but I'm keen to try out the latest build either way.

Something that Amiga handles well is the savestates, never had an issue.. I remember when dosxbox was in its early stages and was having issues, and then it was taken out of emulation all together. It would be brilliant if savestates was somehow brought back, even simply the ability to try. For I believe that even some of us with little emulator coding ability can sometimes have a knack for finding a way for them to work, even if they are glitchy at first. But i may be wrong...

I am also very keen for mekax... Hero was truly one of the best games ever made! I believe that was for the SG-1000. Anyways, good to see that your taking these things to a new level.. With Neogenesis and Mekax, we are pretty much set for sega haha. Just need to pull out the old sega saturn every now and then, but I never really liked any of the saturn exclusives.

Well i'll check up often to see when the new amiga and dos builds are coming out, but I know that you dont like to release anything on a half measure. After forgetting a simple piece of code ur already looking at another pcsxbox release haha..

Take it easy, and good luck with the rest of your new builds.

Thanks

By the way... I'm not an emulator programmer or anything close to that by any means. But I am very interested in dosxbox, so if there is anything I could do to aid the people involved I am very able to dedicate my time... I dunno how I would be able to help, but if there is anything that needs testing, or whatever else that a person who knows very little could help with, then please let me know. Because at least for the next month or so I have very little else on my plate.

Edited by cheema201, 29 July 2010 - 02:33 AM.

#4 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

Well I don't even think savestates are supported in dosbox itself. At least that is the impression I got from the FAQ I was reading over at the Vogon boards.

#5 cheema201

cheema201

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

good call, your very much correct.

Sometimes I forget that the xbox emulators have a brother on PC.. And I even use them! haha.

From my recolection I don't even think they were ever really talking seriously about introducing it. Just that it was a possibility in a future release... Savestates aren't everything, just feels strange not being able to hit them up in an xport emulator haha.

#6 guybird

guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:03 AM

Cheema, hop on irc EFNET #RessurectionXtras and chat with us. I'm sure there are lots of games we haven't gotten to yet that we could use help with setting up and testing.

#7 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

Yeah some pretty interesting stuff going on with dosxbox. What could really use is a good memory budgeted dual preview capable skin. Since our current one just eats up to much RAM for use to be able to run 16meg games.

#8 cheema201

cheema201

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:23 AM

Is there any particular time or days that you guys regular irc?

And I am in Australia so there will be some time difference. I'll jump on there often either way.

#9 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

lol... hope you already got your answer by now cheema201 smile.gif

Hop on anytime. Almost always been somebody on whenever I go there.

Got some really great games working right now. Would be cool if somebody made a dual preview skin for DOSBox though, like Madmab said.

Later,
~Rx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users