• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 darth nuts

darth nuts

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

I've had this xbox i bought off a guy for about a year now, and it never had any problems. one day, it wouldn't work, kept FRAGing on me. i figured out that when my AV cable is plugged into the back of the xbox, it won't work, and it get the "Call Customer Service" screen with a 09 in the upper left corner. how do I fix it?

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:02 AM

Most systems don't work if you don't have the AV cable plugged in - they literally stall until they detect it's there, and FOAG in the meantime. Certain BIOSes (eg X2 5035) prevent the cable check, but I'm assuming you want to be able to see stuff on your TV, so just leave the cable plugged in for now. wink.gif

Error 09 usually points to a HDD fault. It's also possible the issue is with the DVD drive (which shares the same IDE cable), the cable itself, the motherboard, or the PSU.

Has this console ever been modified in any way? If so, how, and do you happen to have a backup of the system EEPROM?

#3 darth nuts

darth nuts

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

i have no idea if it is modified, but probably, knowing the guy it came from. And no, i don't have the backup for it.

#4 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:49 AM

Ok, so have the stickers on the underside of the machine been disturbed?

#5 darth nuts

darth nuts

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:15 AM

yes, the stickers have holes where the screws were.

#6 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

Does your boot sequence differ from this in any way?

Open the system up, and try connecting the HDD to a PC's power supply (while leaving the console's IDE cable in place). Start the PC then the X-Box. Any difference?

#7 darth nuts

darth nuts

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

No difference in start up with pc power

#8 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:26 AM

Great, but how did that video compare?

#9 darth nuts

darth nuts

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

The video was the same. It did, however, show me error 16 this time. I'm thinking it might be the disk drive gone bad?

#10 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:01 AM

There are other possibilities, but that's the most likely. You might like to try attaching some other random HDD, see what happens - if there are no other problems in the system, it should boot up to an error 05 or 06.

X-Box HDDs need to have a special lock placed on them in order for the system to boot off them. There are two ways to go about installing a new one.

One is to install a modchip, after which the system should no longer care about drive locking. You will probably find this the easier route. You'll need to grab an installer/boot disc image, such as Auto Installer Deluxe (AID) or Slayers, to get up and running once the new drive is in place.

The other is to use an EEPROM reader to grab the data needed to lock a new drive correctly. You'll probably find this faster, assuming you've got a decent level of technical knowledge. You'll need to dig up a clean copy of the MS dash to install this way (this can also be found on most boot discs).

Not all HDDs are lockable, but the vast majority are. The new drive will need to be at least 8gb in capacity, but you can go much larger if you wish (the extra space can be used for installing games, music, ROMs, videos, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users