• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kevthor

kevthor

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:21 AM

Here's the scoop...I've taken out my xbox hard drive and put it in a PC no problem did the hddunlock thing everything is great. Put in a 120 gig drive in the xbox everything is working fine. I now have taken the 120 gig drive out of my xbox and I want to put an xbox 8 gig hard drive back in but not the original one that came with my xbox. The one I want to put in is from a friends xbox.

I have tried formatting the drive with my hd prep boot cd but I still get error code 13? How can I fix this?

Thanks a bunch

#2 damonSK

damonSK

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:41 AM

im guessing you didn't unlock the 8gig drive ?

you need to bang it back into your friends hd, get the hddkey, not sure about this but i think you can use config magic to unlock the hd, every time you boot your xbox up during the flubber/blob thing it unlocks the hd not sure how this works but im guessing it uses a key thats stored somewhere (eeprom)?. you need to unlock the hd like you did with your old hd that you put into your pc, if you have no hdd key, its usless. if you can put it into your friends xbox, load up evox (if its got it to) and go to settings > backup, it will make a file called hddkey in c:backup. oce you have done that to use xbox live you need to relock the drive in your xbox using config magic, im guessing it writes some crap to the xbox eeprom so it can unlock the hd everytime you boot up. when you power down the xbox the hd is relocked. Some kind of security messaure to stop people looking at the files stored on the hd.

correct me if im wrong. if the hd is locked, you wont be able to format it ? so everything that was origionaly on the hd should still be there.

good luck.

#3 kevthor

kevthor

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:45 AM

I have the key. But I have to unlock it in a PC then I'm guessing?

#4 damonSK

damonSK

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:50 AM

yes do the same thing you did when you where putting the orig 8gb hdd into your pc, the hdunlock.exe shit. then bang it in your xbox.

#5 kevthor

kevthor

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 02:21 AM

Works great. Thanks for the info!! biggrin.gif

#6 damonSK

damonSK

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 03:09 AM

great, now i know what to do when my new 10gb hd comes. laugh.gif

#7 gamester990

gamester990

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 05:29 AM

im selling my DVD-R since my xbox doesn't really like reading my dvdrs i burn, but im going to buy a hard drive 120 gig or 200 probably and put it in my xbox.

can someone tell me exactly what i need to do, or a guide. i know you gotta do some stuff b4 you put it in the box.

#8 Cofi

Cofi

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 07:38 AM

WTH would you buy a 200 GB HDD for Xbox? 120 is fine.... the limit is 128 GB so if you put in a 200 it will act as 128 GB (if I remember correctly).

#9 emorocker6000

emorocker6000

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:counterstrike, music, xbox modification/customization, playing guitar, sleeping, homestar runner

Posted 04 July 2003 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (Cofi @ Jul 3 2003, 04:38 AM)
WTH would you buy a 200 GB HDD for Xbox? 120 is fine.... the limit is 128 GB so if you put in a 200 it will act as 128 GB (if I remember correctly).

140, but whatever... close enough

#10 Anthonyn

Anthonyn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (emorocker6000 @ Jul 4 2003, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (Cofi @ Jul 3 2003, 04:38 AM)

140, but whatever... close enough

In fact is actually 137. but like you said... whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users