• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Erranty

Erranty

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:06 AM

I was wondering if I could just install a new BIOS by hooking up the HDD to my PC and reformatting it with a new system.

I'm a newbie to modding, I haven't even modded my PSP. But I'm good a hacking games, especially with hex memory editors like CheatEngine. I looked into xbox mods a while back when I first got it and it said I'd need to solder some of it and it would be tricky. Unfortunately I don't have very stable hands, so I can't do it. And soft modding is gonna be tough for me since I can't get a copy of any of the games I need to do it.

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:52 AM

The BIOS is stored in the system TSOP chip (which is on the motherboard). It can't be re-flashed using a PC.

(Well, I assume it could, if someone were to create some sort of adapter between the chip and a computer's COM port or something. Which would make modding a heck of a lot easier were it to ever happen. At this late stage, it probably won't).

There are two primary methods of softmodding; either via a gamesave exploit (consider eBay or rental shops for the games), or via hotswapping (slightly risky, but doesn't require much in the way of special tools).

Softmods essentially work by letting the system boot as normal, waiting for it to load the BIOS from the motherboard into RAM, then modifying that copy. With a hardmod, the BIOS stored in the firmware is already modified, so the system instantly boots up into a modded state.

#3 Erranty

Erranty

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:42 AM

Couldn't I just pick a game and make a save file, change the content in the file, then start the game again and load the file? I mean, the xbox uses an EDIE HDD, so it should be simple enough. But I mean, are there any files like that out there?

Edited by Erranty, 01 August 2010 - 04:44 AM.

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:08 AM

You will need any of these 3 exploitable games: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=426906 to load the specially prepared gamesave. Others have done the hard work for these 3 games.

Not any game disc will suffice, read this: http://wiki-scene.co...Security_(Xbox)

#5 Erranty

Erranty

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

So I guess it's simpler just to softmod it?

#6 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

There is another save way that doesn't require hotswapping. It's called the eeprom reader. (It does require a little soldering, but not really some tricky stuff.)

The harddisk of an xbox 1 is protected with a password unique for every xbox. It's calculated from the harddisk model and serial number (unique for evey harddisk) and the xbox eeprom hddkey. (unique for every mobo.)
The eeprom is a small 256 byte memory chip. If you have it's contents, you can unlock the xbox harddisk and change it's contents with a pc. This is pretty much the same that is done when using the hotswap method.

regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users