9 replies to this topic

#1 ranukano

ranukano

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

General consensus on which games cause the GPU to work the highest, the only one i've noticed was Splinter Cell Conviction which killed my 360 and when attempted 3 weeks later after a second successful fix killed it again.

I've left it out of the gaming loop for over a month now since on my third fix and no issue, in some time i'll be creating a more efficient cooling system and receive a second 360 once i get back home (1800 miles away and no tools is no fun for the electronic hobbyist)

I am asking for a list of games that cause the highest GPU temperature for measurement ratings. I know that the SP:C is intensive enough to E74 my falcon board within 15 minutes, however it may not be the most draining on the GPU.

Also what would you say would be optimal temperature range for the CPU/GPU/EDRAM?

#2 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

Any of the earlier games stress the hell out of the GPU - stuff like Perfect Dark, King Kong etc....

Optimal temp for the GPU - well obv. the cooler the better, but Jaspers run around the 55-65C mark, with the other end of the spectrum being the Xenon - av. 65-90!

Edited by thwack, 01 August 2010 - 07:45 PM.

#3 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

GTA 4 and MW2 both seem to pull alot of heat from my mobo's.

Xenon JTAG:
GTA 4- GPU:71C CPU:55C
MW2- GPU: 67C CPU:54C

Falcon JTAG:
GTA 4: GPU:64C(very high for my falcon) CPU: 0C (my CPU's temp sensor is broken)
MW2: GPU:63C CPU: 0C

I haven't bought a Jasper JTAG yet was considering it because Xenon has been repaired 4 times in the last year and Falcon has been repaired 2 times.

#4 ranukano

ranukano

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

Haven't tried GTA 4, but MW2 i can play for hours still. Good thing to as its a fun game, Splinter Cell Conviction still kills it though. Every time i've attempted it takes a small bake and x-clamp adjustment.

#5 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

MW2 isn't a major problem for me because it keeps close to low part of the average temperature. GTA 4 runs at major heat and was actually the cause of 1 of the 2 rrods in the falcon and all 4 of the xenons rrod.

#6 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

Thats the thing with the games - the earlier the game generally the worse it's coded, and stresses the GPU more - PD0 sends a Xenon I've got into the 80'sC, wheras on the same console MW2 gets it to late 60'-early 70's.

#7 xboxhaxorz

xboxhaxorz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:58 AM

so should we be testing our systems after repair with these old games then?

#8 thwack

thwack

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

I do - a combi of early release and Halo 3 seem to do it (that and a lot of thermal cycling - power on, play, power off, cool, power on etc). Thing is with the early games, well they ain't fun to play.....and I know the first 30 minutes of Halo 3 back to front now wink.gif

#9 SandokTheSlayer

SandokTheSlayer

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

Play Gears of War 2. That'll heat your console up guaranteed. muhaha.gif

Its the games that push the highest resolutions and polygons. And its probably the quality of the coding too like that one guy said. Gears pretty much takes up all of the raw resources the machine has. But like all developers say their is always tricks and other things they can do to get more out of it.

Modern warfare 2 seemed to run cool on my machine. And its resolution I think was like 600p or something. They had to drop it down to keep that silky smooth 60fps. cool.gif

#10 FLUFFYbunny27

FLUFFYbunny27

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

Well I better mod my baby before Halo: Reach comes because they said they used 5 times the amount of polygons that they had in h3... Plus its gonna be 720p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users