• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cmb7684

cmb7684

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

I have been modding stuff for a long time now. I have decent soldering skills and have reflahsing electronics with jtags for years now. I have installed mod chips in their ps2's when that was the going thing and reflashed their PSP's also. So I'm a little familiar with modding and soldering and have watched the you tube video's and feel confident I can do it.

I know very little about the xbox 360 other than I bought 2 of them for my kids. I did read the pinned message from the moderators here that explain about the Kernel version test. Both of the xbox's I have for the kids fail this test.

I still have a few questions I have not yet found answers to that I'm hoping you can answer. Most of them are related or the same but relate to different kind of mods.

1. They like to play xbox live. It appeared with the jtag mod video I saw the guy not only installed a jtag but as part of it removed the disc drive and installed a hard drive. It seems they would be playing all of their games off the hard drive as the 360 is no longer able to read discs. That being the case is a console like that still able to go on to xbox live or does doing this mod make it to where xbox live is no longer available to that console without getting banned? The reason I ask is because if it is going to render them unable to play on xbox live then the mod would not be worth it as that is where they play mostly.

2. I used to jtag something unrelated to gaming consoles where the whole point of the jtag was to flash the firmware back to a previous version so modding could take place as it was not yet available with the latest firmware flash from the manfacturer. Is there files floating around that will allow you to flash with firmware or dashboard back to the previus firmware that allows you to complete the jtag console mod and if so why not if known?

3. Controller mods in general more importantly the trigger mod. If he uses that on xbox live will it get them banned?

4. If any of the above will in fact get them banned I read that their is a way to unban the console. Is it the console that gets banned or the gamer tag? If it is the gamer tag then what good is it to get the console unbanned if the gamer tag or ip address or something like that is the thing that was banned? Forgive me if I did not understand it right but I have played xbox only 2 or 3 times and got "owned" as they call it. So my knowledge of the terms are very basic at best this point?

5. It seems that many are doing these mods on their consoles and I would have to think that they would not want to render it useless for xbox live. If using them will get them banned what is the alternative that others are using if it will get them banned doing these mods to make it where they are able to do the mods and still play xbox live. Is it that they just do not use them on xbox live and I thought that xbix live could check the console for mods when connected even if they are not in use?

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

1. Playing on LIVE with an exploited console is not something you can do more than once. Any exploited console going on LIVE will get banned within hours.

2. There used to be downgrading back in the day before a certain update outdated the CPU timing attack, but no longer. eFuses prevent that.

3. I'm not sure about getting banned indefinitely, but I have heard of people getting suspended for using controller mods. My understanding is that they're against the Xbox LIVE TOS.

4. If the gamertag is infringing, typically that is what gets banned. If the console is modded or breaks TOS, that gets banned. In extreme circumstances, both can get banned.

5. Lots of people have multiple consoles, one for homebrew and one for LIVE. Some people don't like Xbox LIVE, so they're indifferent to being able to play. Some people still like single player games. wink.gif

#3 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

Ok jtags are cool but no good for xbox live they get banned within 2-6 hours and the hdd gets crippled when this happens.

No there is no current way to downgrade if your dashboard is 8xxx and up

Controller mods depend on technique and or chip install there are kits on the market that are undetectable making it so you cant get banned.

The only way to unban a console is if its jtagged and it normally cost between $25-$100 to do. If your account gets banned just make a new account and its problem solved.

There is a safe console mod and it is Flashing DVD drive firmware with stealth firmware such as LT.

#4 cmb7684

cmb7684

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Thank you both for the reply. I will check into the DVD firmware flash LT to see what it is all about.

I will also not be modding their xbox consoles. I will try to dig up an old one or something to play around with modding.

Do you all know if xbox connect will ban modded consoles as described above the same way xbox live will.?

#5 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

What do you mean by Xbox connect I do you mean Kinect

#6 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

If you're talking about the Xbox Connect service, that's not related to Microsoft, so you're not looking at bans in the same way. If you were to be banned from Xbox Connect, it would not change your ability to play on Xbox LIVE. Either way, you're better off asking on their forums (if they have them) or checking their rules. They're the only ones who can truly tell you.

As for LT being "safe": No mods are ever safe for LIVE. If you mod your console, you will eventually be banned. Maybe next week, maybe next year, but you will be banned. No questions about it.

#7 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

LT is as safe as can be Have been running a test console with LT have had it on LT since day after BEN Q LT came out still haven't been banned. I haven't went to Hex editor to find the difference from normal firmware but this is very secure.

#8 cmb7684

cmb7684

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

Well I do appreciate the different suggestions and opinions as it is why I'm here. I wanted to know the pro cons and risks before I did any mods to their stuff. And again thank you for your replies.

As I said before I may slaughter a name of something related to xbox but I'm just not up on the slang or games used.

I spoke with my younger brother who is more familiar than I with xbox 360 but did not know that controller mods and jtags existed so he could not give any input about them or the potential to get banned if used. When I refer to x box connect it was an alternative to xbox live my brother had mentioned. I ASSUME it is like xbox live but not related to microsoft as I understand it and they do not have the rules about modding if I understood it correct. He said he had looked at it a long time ago but did not like that he could not boot people from a game have special invites and stuff at the time so he did not go with it and stayed with xbox live.

I thought some of you may beable to tell me more about it if you have used it if it allows the mods I mentioned above. I was considering buying my kids older 360 consoles to mod that would allow them to play the modded consoles on the alternative xbox connect thing and used the consoles they have now unmodded for xb live.

I will try to find the corrrect name of what my brother was talking about for sure and look into it to see if I can find if they have their own forum as suggested. If any of you know the answer please let me know.

#9 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(superfireball123 @ Aug 8 2010, 04:08 PM) View Post

LT is as safe as can be Have been running a test console with LT have had it on LT since day after BEN Q LT came out still haven't been banned. I haven't went to Hex editor to find the difference from normal firmware but this is very secure.

No, stock firmware is the safest one can be. LT hasn't been out even 8 months. There's no way one can say it's safe in any regard. Beyond that, potential new security checks in the coming dashboard update might very well bring about a ban wave like last fall--with everyone getting banned.

Anyway, Xlink Kai is a good alternative for exploited consoles. There are several people who play modded games on there. It's well within their rules.

#10 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Aug 8 2010, 06:08 PM) View Post

No, stock firmware is the safest one can be. LT hasn't been out even 8 months. There's no way one can say it's safe in any regard. Beyond that, potential new security checks in the coming dashboard update might very well bring about a ban wave like last fall--with everyone getting banned.

Anyway, Xlink Kai is a good alternative for exploited consoles. There are several people who play modded games on there. It's well within their rules.

True stock firmware is safe because you can't get banned from it. When is the new dashboard update expected to be released.

#11 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

That's what I said. Stock firmware is safe. LT isn't (as compared to stock). It's pretty simple.

The dash update time frame hasn't been released (as far as I'm aware). It should be a decent time before Kinect is released so that any kinks that come up can be ironed out. I expect it'll be before the end of August, but there's no real telling when it'll drop until Microsoft announces it.

#12 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:11 AM

Man that means no more 10th lobbies sad.gif

#13 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:13 AM

As if that's a bad thing. rolleyes.gif

Can we leave this thread for the OP's questions? I know how much of a pain it is to have a thread hijacked, so I try to not do that to others.

#14 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:05 AM

Yes sorry that I changed the subject go back to your questions cmb7684.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users