2 replies to this topic

#1 onlysublime

onlysublime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

http://www.amazon.co...Z5DSDN7MYP97FTN

can you guys help me out with this? I bought this optical adapter and am having problems with it.

1) original setup: 360 hooked via HDMI to Onkyo tx-sr506 receiver. receiver hooked to the TV. the Onkyo is HDMI passthrough only. this receiver is passthrough only so it will not output HDMI audio to the speakers connected to the receiver. audio of the 360 will play on the TV with only an HDMI cable. I didn't have the optical adapter at the time. So I connected an optical cable from the TV to output to the Onkyo. Dolby 5.1 360 setting works. however, I think when the TV outputs to the Onkyo, it's PCM and not 5.1. but it appears to be multichannel audio anyway.

so I buy this optical adapter...

2) same 360 HDMI to receiver to HDTV setup. but now I have an optical cable from the 360 to the Onkyo directly. I can't hear any audio through the optical cable on any audio setting. I can still hear audio from the TV (from the HDMI audio).

note:
- when I only have an HDMI cable attached to the 360, it will say "HDMI" in the current settings.
- but when I have the HDMI cable and the optical adapter, it will say "HDMI + A".
- when the optical adapter is plugged in, you do see the red light peeking out the adapter so it does seem to send the light. also when the far end of the optical cable is lit when plugged into the adapter

previous tips from people that was tried:

1) tried switching from Dolby 5.1 to Digital Stereo and back
2) tried turning off Display Discovery
3) tried turning on Display Discovery
4) tried a different optical cable
5) tried a different optical port on the receiver
6) tried disconnecting and reattaching optical cable on both ends
7) tried rebooting the 360 after changing settings

this is driving me crazy. if anyone has any ideas, please help!

#2 MasterMind

MasterMind

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

Try unplugging the HDMI and use only the optical, plug the vid into something else, dont use the hdmi, listen to see if its outputting audio at that point.
It sounds like the receiver is not taking advantage of the fiber and is assuming audio is coming from hdmi.
my cheap sony does it. Also just because the red light is visible dosent mean its sending anything it just means that its on.
It could be that the HDCP is prohibiting the audio output. You can get around this by switching to component. It will give you 1080I not P and will allow you to use the optical

#3 onlysublime

onlysublime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(MasterMind @ Aug 13 2010, 03:26 PM) View Post

Try unplugging the HDMI and use only the optical, plug the vid into something else, dont use the hdmi, listen to see if its outputting audio at that point.
It sounds like the receiver is not taking advantage of the fiber and is assuming audio is coming from hdmi.
my cheap sony does it. Also just because the red light is visible dosent mean its sending anything it just means that its on.
It could be that the HDCP is prohibiting the audio output. You can get around this by switching to component. It will give you 1080I not P and will allow you to use the optical

thanks for the reply! it's very much appreciated.

I ended up returning the device though. it was just too much headache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users