9 replies to this topic

#1 adamdynamic

adamdynamic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hey,

Many years ago a friend of mine modded my xbox with XBMC, I've since learned to do it myself (albeit slowly), I have a problem with my original xbox that I'm hoping someone here can help me with?

Is there a way of updating the version of XBMC without using ftp and without risking any of the files (games etc) already on the machine? I have a very early version of XBMC and whenever I try to alter the IP address to static it crashes. I read somewhere that I can burn the latest version of XBMC onto a disk and then just transfer it over but I'm concerned that if I do that and it doesn't work I'll lose everything?

I also have Avalaunch loaded on as an APP if that's any help? Any way forward on this would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam.

#2 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

Could you use Avaluanch to ftp a newer XBMc over? Or do you just not have the setup to ftp? what you can do if ftp is completely out of the question you could make an install disk using a program called Qwix then the dash UnleashX and also XBMC.

#3 adamdynamic

adamdynamic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Aug 12 2010, 01:42 PM) View Post

Could you use Avaluanch to ftp a newer XBMc over? Or do you just not have the setup to ftp? what you can do if ftp is completely out of the question you could make an install disk using a program called Qwix then the dash UnleashX and also XBMC.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to connnect via FTP by following these instructions as closely as I could (there are 2 DNS numbers in Avalaunch, should they both be 0.0.0.0? And I'm setting DHCP to 'disabled', again not sure if that's correct) but still had no success. The same cable and ftp program worked on the other xbox so unless there is something wrong with the hardware in the xbox (though the network port would have had to have worked at some point?) I'm not sure what else could be the problem? If anyone could point out anything I'm doing obviously wrong with Avalaunch that would be great.

I don't know what Quix is? I'll google it but any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the reply,

Adam.

#4 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

set DHCP to "Enabled" and the DNS stuff you can leave alone. Qwix was made by the same people that made avalaunch. It can install stuff to the xbox using ftp and it also can create ISOs in a format the xbox can understand.

#5 adamdynamic

adamdynamic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

Ok, so for about an hour I was able to connect to the xbox no problem (changed the DCHP to 'enabled' which seemed to do the trick), managed to back up a couple of files from the xbox to my laptop, now it seems that it's not connecting again.

I'm using Filezilla, could it be that some FTP programs have more success than others when connecting to xboxs? If so, what are the good alternatives? Anyone any ideas on this? It's pretty frustrating to think that you've cracked it only for it to break again...

Adam.

#6 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:12 AM

I have used all kinds of ftp apps and never really had problem with them ftping to the xbox. Usually its either the xbox or some setting on the pc that causes problems. You can try this open Windows Explorer (just open any folder on the pc) and type ftp://xbox:xbox@***.***.***.*** (replace the *'s with your xbox's IP address) and see if that will give you access to your xbox.

#7 adamdynamic

adamdynamic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Aug 14 2010, 03:12 AM) View Post

I have used all kinds of ftp apps and never really had problem with them ftping to the xbox. Usually its either the xbox or some setting on the pc that causes problems. You can try this open Windows Explorer (just open any folder on the pc) and type ftp://xbox:xbox@***.***.***.*** (replace the *'s with your xbox's IP address) and see if that will give you access to your xbox.

Hey,

Explorer doesn't seem any more eager to grant me access to the xbox than Filezilla does (below is the message I get from Filezilla when I try).

Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

I managed to find a copy of Quix, is there a good tutorial that will show me how to make an 'upgrade XBMC' disk? Is it difficult to do?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Adam.

#8 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

what you do is make a folder somewhere easy to find on your pc then what ever you want to put on your xbox put in that folder. Make sure everything is unzipped and everything. Then after you get everything in there you wanna put on the disk run qwix and have it make the xbox iso then burn that to disk. When the disk is finished put it in the xbox and use either the file manager in XBMC or avalaunch to manually install everything.

#9 adamdynamic

adamdynamic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Aug 15 2010, 09:26 AM) View Post

what you do is make a folder somewhere easy to find on your pc then what ever you want to put on your xbox put in that folder. Make sure everything is unzipped and everything. Then after you get everything in there you wanna put on the disk run qwix and have it make the xbox iso then burn that to disk. When the disk is finished put it in the xbox and use either the file manager in XBMC or avalaunch to manually install everything.

Ah ok, and in terms of installing the latest version of XBMC, do I just manually migrate the new files over, overwriting the old XBMC files, or is there a more sophisticated way to do it (i.e. an installer program I need to run?)

Thanks again for the help!

Adam.

#10 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

just over right the old ones