• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 InspectorMustache

InspectorMustache

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

Okay, before it becomes too evident: I'm a total newbie. I'm also an idiot, which will also become pretty clear throughout this post.

Alright, so I bought an used XBox (v1.0) and an Xecuter3. I opened up the XBox and found out it was already modded, of which I was not aware when I bought it (also had the standard Dashboard and everything). The modifications were an 80GB hard drive and some homebrew EPROM. But since I had bought the Xecuter3 I wanted to use it, so I desoldered the wire connections between the EPROM and the mainboard.
Before I installed the Xecuter I wanted to check that I hadn't messed up and the XBox was still functioning, so I put everything together again and started it up. I got the "Your XBox needs service" message and the error code 05. After a little research, I found out that that means "HDD not locked". So my guess is the retail BIOS had a problem with the new HDD and so kept the XBox from functioning properly. So my question is: Can I just go on now and install the Xecuter3? Will the BIOS detect and accept the new HDD? Or did I destroy my XBox?

I know I should have stopped and did my research right after I found out there was an EPROM installed, but as I said... I'm an idiot.

Thanks very much in advance!!!

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

You don't mean EPROM, you mean homebrew modchip. The EEPROM is a different chip that holds 256 bytes of system configuration data.

You can just install the X3. Once you've flashed it with X3.3294 it will read the unlocked hard drive quite happily.

#3 InspectorMustache

InspectorMustache

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, I just googled what was written on the chip and the results said EPROM. biggrin.gif
Anyway, thanks for your help. Haven't been able to test it out so far, since I've decided to install the Xecuter on an 1.5 Box anyway. That one has an original HDD, so once the mod is installed I'm just gonna exchange hard drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users