5 replies to this topic

#1 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:48 AM

A few weeks ago here I asked about a sound problem I had when playing Myst IV: Revelation (NTSC only but region free) on my Executer 2.6CE chipped PAL Xbox. Basically the sound/music hiccups when a new screen loads.

When I eventually discovered it was region free I was surprised to find the game played without the sound issues on all my PAL Xboxes softmodded or not, in NTSC mode or not and also when I switched off the chip on the (pro-fitted) hard modded one.

Bomb Bloke suggested it could be a BIOS problem.

Not having a PC or access to one I assumed I'd just have to put up with it. My other NTSC games play fine so it's not a vital matter. But a few days ago I looked at the AID disc I have and realised it may have solution.

It has BIOSChecker but when I ran it on the chipped machine it couldn't detect the BIOS. Could this be because the chip is controlled via a small switch array attached to the front of the console which has two "banks" set to 'off' presumably to protect the chip from inexpert fiddling?

But of more interest to me is that on the AID disc I have PBL Metoo as an app option and, for some reason, separately in the Advanced Features sections too.

I'd no idea what this was before the last few days but from what I've read here it sounds as if it might be by sheer coincidence ideal for my situation. If, of course, the sound problem is BIOS related.

Problem is that most of the stuff I've read about it seems to be 5 or 6 years old and seems to assume you know what PBL Metoo does and all the other basics. However it seems to suggest it can be used with a chipped or softmodded Xbox just like any other app from the app menu. It will simply temporarily load and run the main dash with new, better, BIOS until rebooted or shutdown. Is this correct or have I misunderstood?

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

BIOSChecker not recognising your BIOS has nothing to do with the switches that control the chip. It's probably because you have a modified BIOS (changed dash locations is the most probable modification), so the MD5 checksum isn't in Bioses.ini. Which BIOS are you using?

Your understanding of PBL is correct - it loads a different (though not necessarily better) BIOS, which in turn runs whichever dash you have configured the BIOS to look for. It's a good way to test a different BIOS before flashing it to your chip. (HOWEVER, the version you load with PBL is slightly modified to boot from media - a BFM BIOS - and that won't load from a chip, so you have to test the BFM BIOS with PBL then flash the non-BFM version.)

Once you find a BIOS that works you can simply flash the non-BFM version to your chip. The Xecuter 2.6 has 2 bios banks, so you could flash it to the other bank, then keep your current and the new BIOS on there, and switch between them.

Edited by Heimdall, 19 August 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#3 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:22 AM

Excellent that's what I was hoping to hear about PBL Metoo.

I think I'll chicken out of any chip flashing, even with the safety net of a protected bank if something went wrong, without a PC I couldn't sort it out could I?. So why take the risk? If I find PBL Metoo deals with the sound problem on Myst IV I'll just keep it as an app and apply it if I come across any similar sound issue with other games.

What BIOS do I have on my chipped machine? I thought that was the whole point of BIOSChecker to find that out. Whatever the case I really don't know. The Executer 2.6CE was professionally fitted about 5 years ago so I assume it is whatever was available and most popular then.

I looked for the BIOS.ini file and found the Evox.ini which I've never looked at. before. First thing I noticed was It showed I have an IGR option I didn't know I had. Wish I'd known that earlier.

But the main thing is that in the Evox.ini I found a vast list (100+) under the BIOS heading, which I hope is what you meant, all marked:-

Rom= and then either 256KB/512KB/1MB. The first three in the list are separate and marked BLANK (sic) but the rest of the list below, arranged in a number of long blocks according to their name, are followed by what I assume are BIOS names and a long id. string of letters/numbers.

What BIOS my chip is using I'm hoping somebody will be able to work out from my description and also tell me what that list is all about because I haven't a clue.

Edited by fallenangle, 20 August 2010 - 04:28 AM.

#4 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

I've looked at that vast BIOS (?) list a bit more and right at bottom underneath the last block of data all marked FLASH it says:-

Current = 0xc349c2b047a3d6c2de21c10185ecf86

Is this relevant?

I had no trouble finding BIOS details on my softmodded consoles with BIOSChecker. All the ones I've looked at are shown as Retail BIOS preceeded by the version(?) number. I just don't get why finding out what the chipped one is using apparently isn't as simple.

Any help appreciated.

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

It's as I said in my earlier post
It's probably because you have a modified BIOS (changed dash locations is the most probable modification), so the MD5 checksum isn't in Bioses.ini
There is nothing you can do about it, except reflash with a known BIOS.

Edited by Heimdall, 21 August 2010 - 08:13 PM.

#6 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Sorry I didn't understand. So the BIOS was probably customised in some way so that means there's no way of knowing what it was based on originally.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users