98 replies to this topic

#1 Ninjaman

Ninjaman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

Apparently news, or should I say rumours?....either way....word is out on a Playstation Jailbreak.

What are your thoughts?

According to the features:

* PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.
* Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.
* Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA
* PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.
* Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)
* Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.
* Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.
* Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.
* Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.

#2 Ninjaman

Ninjaman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

video

OzModChips.com tests Worlds First Ps3 Modchip (PSjailbreak)

Edited by Ninjaman, 19 August 2010 - 08:39 AM.

#3 Hasney

Hasney

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

There's enough trusted sources on twitter that have one that would lead me to believe it's legit, as well as psx-scene getting one.

ozmodchips.com are also pretty trust worthy and they're doing pre-orders for an August 27th ship date.

$170 AUD though ph34r.gif

http://www.ozmodchip...-play-p-68.html

#4 XOR101

XOR101

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

lol sure... via usb... haha...

The ps3 has 1 core just to protect it from modchips etc. Do you see what you needed to do with the jtag 360 and still they patched it. And now some guy on youtube did it with a usb drive haha.

But we can always hope right tongue.gif

#5 thesonandheir

thesonandheir

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

I know it sounds like a laugh compared to the JTAG hack but some other people have said its legit. Remember garyopa?

It must be some sort of copy of a Sony device used when they go in for repair I think.

Wait and see.

#6 p4r0l3

p4r0l3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:homebrew, fps, rpg
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Saw this when I woke up this morning and checked slashdot.

The general consensus seems to be that this hack is legit. I'd agree that it must have something to do with exploiting repair functionality via usb.

Edit: Anyone know if this allows homebrew or just backed up retail games? I'm tempted to go out and snag a ps3 before they start to get patched

Edited by p4r0l3, 19 August 2010 - 04:04 PM.

#7 xboxbman

xboxbman

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(p4r0l3 @ Aug 19 2010, 10:59 AM) View Post

Saw this when I woke up this morning and checked slashdot.

The general consensus seems to be that this hack is legit. I'd agree that it must have something to do with exploiting repair functionality via usb.

Edit: Anyone know if this allows homebrew or just backed up retail games? I'm tempted to go out and snag a ps3 before they start to get patched

from my understanding it basically puts the ps3 into dev mode, so it will also run unsigned code.

#8 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Already preordered mine.

http://www.ozmodchip...-play-p-68.html

A little pricey but got to say this is likely the easiest console mod ever.

As soon as I get my chip I will post a little review of it. I just hope it works as advertised.

I never ordered anything before from this shop so I hope I didn't make a mistake.

Has anyone else ordered from these guys before?

#9 DTR1

DTR1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

I have been patiently waiting for something to come about but I have to say that I will remain skeptical until I see it confirmed here. I am not so much looking for playing games but home brew and removing the restrictions of the media player. I had a PlayStation one with the card and spring trick way back in the day. Then it was a modded xbox with XBMP. I am pretty sure that XBMC will have no interest in making a port for the PS3 if it is truly hacked. My PS3 has never had an update since Oblivion was released in hopes that someone would figure it out.

#10 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(DTR1 @ Aug 19 2010, 12:19 PM) View Post

I have been patiently waiting for something to come about but I have to say that I will remain skeptical until I see it confirmed here. I am not so much looking for playing games but home brew and removing the restrictions of the media player. I had a PlayStation one with the card and spring trick way back in the day. Then it was a modded xbox with XBMP. I am pretty sure that XBMC will have no interest in making a port for the PS3 if it is truly hacked. My PS3 has never had an update since Oblivion was released in hopes that someone would figure it out.

Indeed. This seems to put the console in some type of debug mode. If it does then this should open the console up for full homebrew.

Biggest issue I can foresee would be that a PS3 update will soon kill this exploit. At this time ether there will need to be a firmware update for the PS Jailbreak or online use of the console will be ended with the PS network and go a separate rout of homebrew and backups only.

Or even better yet if this ends up allowing access to the kernel then maybe a custom firmware like the old PSP days that can get regular updates that will match the official ones.

Who knows only time will tell. But at least it is a start of something wonderful I hope.

#11 DTR1

DTR1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Aug 19 2010, 11:45 AM) View Post

Indeed. This seems to put the console in some type of debug mode. If it does then this should open the console up for full homebrew.

Biggest issue I can foresee would be that a PS3 update will soon kill this exploit. At this time ether there will need to be a firmware update for the PS Jailbreak or online use of the console will be ended with the PS network and go a separate rout of homebrew and backups only.

Or even better yet if this ends up allowing access to the kernel then maybe a custom firmware like the old PSP days that can get regular updates that will match the official ones.

Who knows only time will tell. But at least it is a start of something wonderful I hope.

I hope this is the beginning as well. This scene has been quite for a long time it will be good to see come commotion.

#12 Valva

Valva

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Who's actually created this mod USB then? Can't seem to find out..?

#13 tonybologna

tonybologna

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:sports,hunting,fishing,video games,etc.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

This is some good news on the PS3 hacking front. However, paying $170.00(US) for what's a USB mod that we don't know fully about yet is premature in my opinion. I'm sure there will be alternatives from the scene in the near future.

There's one thing that I still haven't seen fully answered yet unless I just miseed it. I have watched a few videos of the actual testing and proof. I think one video had an actual game in the PS3 drive and I think the other one didn't. Does there have to be a retail game disc in the PS3 drive itself in order to load a game from the HDD? Thanks guys! smile.gif

#14 jeff834

jeff834

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

It's not $170 US its AU, minus the 10% local taxes and after conversion it comes out to be around $137 US plus shipping. Still kind of steep for a USB drive, but probably worth it. I'm mulling it over myself, just have to keep from getting any firmware updates in the near future while I decide...

#15 KoukiMonster91

KoukiMonster91

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

i do not think its "just" a usb drive. i think its all custom hardware. i will wait tho till we can make them at home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users