Photo

What Does A New Bios Give Me, And How To Identyfy Chip?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 maraxion

maraxion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

So iv got an old 1.2/1.3 xbox that was chipped in 2007. Worked great until now, never upgraded the bios. Running some evo-x it says in the start menu.
Im using it to stream movies, and also wondering if I should play some nintendo games on it.
First of all I wanted to know if a bios update wil give me any diffrence, and if so what.
Also, I think I have the xecuter 2.6, but after I updated my xbmc I cannot find it in the system info anymore. Any idea how I can check this?

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

The easiest way to check the chip is to open the Xbox.

It's impossible to tell if a BIOS change would make any difference unless you know which BIOS you have in the first place. Run BIOSChecker to find out details of your current BIOS and some info on your chip.

#3 maraxion

maraxion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Aug 24 2010, 01:54 AM) View Post

The easiest way to check the chip is to open the Xbox.

It's impossible to tell if a BIOS change would make any difference unless you know which BIOS you have in the first place. Run BIOSChecker to find out details of your current BIOS and some info on your chip.

Thank you, that got me in the right direction.
Bioschecker couldent identify my bios, but atleast it said xecuter 2 so I know that.
And in the hardware information in xbmc it says: detected bios unknown. Please add MD5 from XBMC.log to bioslds.ini
So after reading xbmc.log I guess md5 is short for mapping log 5. But Im unsure what to do. I only use xbmc, not any other program. and have an 120gb.
Sorry if my questions are bad.

Edited by maraxion, 24 August 2010 - 01:31 AM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:33 AM

No, MD5 is a message digest, a unique cryptographic hash that allows unique identification of a file - in this case your BIOS. If the hash for your BIOS isn't in the BIOS ID files for BIOSChecker or XBMC then there's not much you can do to identify it.

However, are you sure BIOS Checker identified your chip as an Xecuter 2? It normally identifies chips by the chip type and part number, not the brand name.

#5 maraxion

maraxion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Aug 24 2010, 02:33 AM) View Post

No, MD5 is a message digest, a unique cryptographic hash that allows unique identification of a file - in this case your BIOS. If the hash for your BIOS isn't in the BIOS ID files for BIOSChecker or XBMC then there's not much you can do to identify it.

However, are you sure BIOS Checker identified your chip as an Xecuter 2? It normally identifies chips by the chip type and part number, not the brand name.

I used the bioschecker I had, its the 4.0b edition.
It says chip type TSOP reflashed or xecuter2(amd -am29f080B)
And then lists a lot of both 512 and 256 bioses with a lot of nunbers and unknown on every MD5

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:40 AM

I didn't know that - I'll have to get hold of a copy of 4.0b.

Try the latest version 5.0.

Edited by Heimdall, 24 August 2010 - 01:49 AM.

#7 maraxion

maraxion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Aug 24 2010, 02:40 AM) View Post

Try the latest version 5.0.

hm, wel that gave m a grey screen and a lot of horisontal lines, so it must be broken somehow. any ideas?

Edited by maraxion, 24 August 2010 - 01:49 AM.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:50 AM

You must have a bad copy - download it again. smile.gif

#9 maraxion

maraxion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Aug 24 2010, 02:50 AM) View Post

You must have a bad copy - download it again. smile.gif

Il try, but I was unlucky to get banned from the ftp server earlier due to mishappen of my part, so il look on the net.
But I onlu find one one rapidshare, and thats the one that seems bad.

Edited by maraxion, 24 August 2010 - 02:05 AM.

#10 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(maraxion @ Aug 24 2010, 01:48 AM) View Post

First of all I wanted to know if a bios update wil give me any diffrence,

Curiosity killed the cat, and your xbox.

See, this is how it starts. "Well what if I try this?", or How do I do that?" The next question we usually see here is "HELP!!!, MY XBOX IS DEAD!!!"

I would not recommend upgrading your bios. If you don't know exactly what you are doing and how to do it, you WILL kill your xbox. The only advantage you really get from going from one hacked bios to another is an increase in the maximum usable HD size, and the option to run your xbox with out a DVDrom drive.

In short, if you are not planning on IMMEDIATELY upgrading your hard drive to a much larger unit, or converting your xbox to a DVDRom-less system, do not mess with the vitals.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON"T FIX IT.

#11 maraxion

maraxion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Aug 24 2010, 10:43 PM) View Post

Curiosity killed the cat, and your xbox.

See, this is how it starts. "Well what if I try this?", or How do I do that?" The next question we usually see here is "HELP!!!, MY XBOX IS DEAD!!!"

I would not recommend upgrading your bios. If you don't know exactly what you are doing and how to do it, you WILL kill your xbox. The only advantage you really get from going from one hacked bios to another is an increase in the maximum usable HD size, and the option to run your xbox with out a DVDrom drive.

In short, if you are not planning on IMMEDIATELY upgrading your hard drive to a much larger unit, or converting your xbox to a DVDRom-less system, do not mess with the vitals.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON"T FIX IT.

Wel thats what iv been thinking as wel. The dvd rom I havent used for 3 years anyways, cause I ftp everyithing to the box. Inly Thing I might need is a new bios to play Nintendo 64 games. But unsure if I need that. As of now I think Im running an evo-x and its been stable for years.

#12 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE(maraxion @ Aug 25 2010, 12:25 AM) View Post

I might need is a new bios to play Nintendo 64 games.

Very unlikely. You should be OK with the bios you have. There was some poster on here that was trying to establish a link between malfunctioning roms and particular bioses but I don't know what ever became of that and had never heard of it until I read his post, which was probably circumstantial anyway.

I have been doing this xbox thing a long time and have never had any better luck in the emu department with one bios than with another. Alternatively, if you would like an advantage in the N64 emu department, you could consider installing, or having someone else install, extra ram in your xbox. This does help a little for some of the more complex N64 games.

#13 maraxion

maraxion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Aug 25 2010, 07:37 AM) View Post

Very unlikely. You should be OK with the bios you have. There was some poster on here that was trying to establish a link between malfunctioning roms and particular bioses but I don't know what ever became of that and had never heard of it until I read his post, which was probably circumstantial anyway.

I have been doing this xbox thing a long time and have never had any better luck in the emu department with one bios than with another. Alternatively, if you would like an advantage in the N64 emu department, you could consider installing, or having someone else install, extra ram in your xbox. This does help a little for some of the more complex N64 games.

I see.
Then I am wondering about the ram. Iv repaired several computers and xbox 360, but never actualy opened my old xbox 1. But a few years back I heard about the ram upgrade, but also heard it was hard cause the stick was soldered to the board. So boat ram and CPU upgrade on the xbox seems risky. Just think its strange I Cant run donkey kong 64. Tried all the surreal settings in 5.4 but no go, thinking it was the CPU. The strange thing is that my old zurreal starts it without freezing, but a bit slow.

Edited by maraxion, 25 August 2010 - 12:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users