Photo

Friend Is Having Problems With His Original Xbox Modded?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DM616

DM616

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

What he has told me.

After playing for 3 hours on a game, his xbox shut off.

Ever since then, it doesn't technically turn on.

The light goes on, but the screen stays gray (default colors for his input), and his DVD tray fails to open.

I don't know what modchip he has, and I don't think he knows either, he bought it off craigslist.

Oh and he was playing a copy of KotoR he bought from Ebay...>_> ironic isn't it.

Edited by DM616, 29 August 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#2 DM616

DM616

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:41 AM

There doesn't seem to be an edit button.

Anyways, I didn't mean his xbox shut off, it FROZE.

And he's using the red white and yellow cables.

#3 gman060692

gman060692

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:08 AM

Need a little more info to tell what the problem is. Does it give any error codes on screen, what colors do the front leds blink when the unit is trying to turn on if at all.
Open the box up and check for blown components and bad trace/solder joints.

#4 DM616

DM616

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:40 AM

Yah I'll be doing that when he comes back, he's in another state lol.

The tv displays nothing...it stays his default color for when he switches to the TV's inputs.

He says the light stays green, dvd tray does not open.

How do you know if connections are blown? Multimeter/voltmeter?

Edited by DM616, 30 August 2010 - 04:43 AM.

#5 dennisv9

dennisv9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(DM616 @ Aug 30 2010, 05:40 AM) View Post

Yah I'll be doing that when he comes back, he's in another state lol.

The tv displays nothing...it stays his default color for when he switches to the TV's inputs.

He says the light stays green, dvd tray does not open.

How do you know if connections are blown? Multimeter/voltmeter?

it might be a comabox, search for ´comabox´. if he has a modchip in it, you should be able to either boot the normal ms bios (on the tsop), or the one on the modchip. so 1 should work, it is unlikely that boot are bad at the same time

but many xbox´es are either tsop flashed or more often just a softmod. in both cases your bios flash (on the tsop) is starting to degrade. if you leave it alone for a day, it will normally power on just fine and then you can play with it. if you power down and immediately try to power on again, same problem (solid green ring, no video and dvd will not eject). i too am in the same boat as you, i am hoping (waiting for that 1 successful boot) that it will boot once so i can reflash the tsop with another bios.

#6 DM616

DM616

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Right, so let me get this straight.

The bios on his xbox modchip or softmod is going bad, it's most likely the flashed bios and not the original bios. Apparently his xbox can be boot up two ways, either modded or the original non-modded way. And in order to fix this problem, the xbox needs to be booted up again one day? I'm so lost on how exactly you fix this.

I'm a bit lost....really confused.

http://www.llamma.co...ComaConsole.htm

I found this...I don't know what version he has, and I'll have to check when he gets here, I found out to find out what version you need to crack this xbox open.

If it's not 1.0 or 1.1, what other ways do you fix this comabox?

Edited by DM616, 30 August 2010 - 06:01 PM.

#7 dennisv9

dennisv9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

be sure that you do not just have a sofmod (pressing the eject button loads up the ms dashboard; where the power button will load up your custom dashboard like avalaunch or xbmc etc. THIS is a SOFTMOD)!!!!!

you have to know for sure if there is a modchip in it (open the xbox up; see if there is a chip under the dvd drive). if there is not a modchip in it, you are already and always booting from the MS bios/tsop. regardless whether the tsop has been flashed with any other bios (most xbox tsop's can be flashed, v1.0/1.1 have a 1 mb bios/tsop which can be split 4 ways, v1.2-v1.5 has a 256kb bios/tsop, and v1.6 has NO flashable tsop), if there isn't a modchip in it you have a few options.

first you have to look into flashing your TSOP and how to do that. there are post on it; in short you have to bridge (solder together) two sets op point on the motherboard. when you do that, your tsop becomes flashable. this will make it possible to REFLASH the bad bios flash on the onboard tsop (i always put an evox m8+ bios on it, but any other like xecutor 4981 will work just fine. just choose one).

secondly you have to get the xbox booting again to be able to flash your tsop. this procedure is somewhat different depending on your xbox version.

version 1.0-v1.1; the link you posted (comabox) will do the trick. if you force the xbox to boot from the last 512 kb; it will most probably boot up just fine. then you can reflash the WHOLE 1 mb tsop with any bios you like. so follow that tutorial to force the xbox to boot only a part of its 1 mb bios. remember; VCC is also on the lpc header. that is much more easy to solder. for ground you can use any ground point; i always use a screwhole. so you only need to solder the difficult a18 and/or a19;the others can be taped down if necessary. you can use evox to flash the tsop/bios or you can use the slayer disc (perhaps even aid?).
this is the easiest way to fix it.

(....------you can even split it up 2 or 4 ways (4 * 256 kb; or 2 *x 512 kb or 2x* 256 kb + 1 * 512 kb) with different bios'es on it. you have to put switches on it....-------).

version 1.2-1.5; you only have a 256 kb bios/tsop that has gone bad. if you let the xbox sit for a couple of days; it might get you one proper boot. as soon as it boots (assuming that you already have the tsop points soldered!!!!), reflash the tsop with a bios of your choice (evox m8+ or xecutor 4981 or... as long as it is a 256 kb bios!!! so no Xecutor X3 bios (=512 kib)). you cannot use evox for that, you have to use raincoat for this. winbond flashing is not supported under evox; you need raincoat!!!!!! search for it; there is a modified gamesave (mechassault) raincoat floating around. you just run that gamesave (assuming you have a running softmod) from the folder UDATA, follow the instructions and it will flash it for you. that gamesave has all the xecutor bios'es in it already. REMEMBER; you cannot flash with Slayer disc (is evox based)! that one proper boot is RARE; use it wisely. as soon as it boots; use raincoat and only raincoat to flash. you might have one chance.

version 1.6; no flashable tsop.

if all fails; like you DON'T have a v1.0-v1.1 (or the whole 1 mb tsop is somehow bad) or can't solder the a18/a19 points, or you have a v1.2-v1.5 that will NOT give you the ONE good boot you (and I) desperately need; go get yourself a modchip. solder that in; and only boot from the modchip.

if you have a modchip in it (open xbox up; warranty is expired ages ago anyways) you have the choice to boot the modchip bios (usually by holding the power button for a few seconds) or the MS bios/tsop (just press power once). one should work, just give it a try. hold the power button for a few seconds and see if it will boot. And yes, a modified bios (m8+ etc.) normally gives a modified 'flubber' screen. evox m8+ displays a big evox logo, xecutor bios show xecutor and the big X is in a different color (normally green). it is unlikely that both are bad; if you have a modchip in it; it might be the case that the modchip is installed in a way that it ALWAYS boots from the modchip. if so; disable the GROUND (BT) wire from the modchip. then see if it will boot from the onboard MS tsop/bios.

just open the xbox up

#8 DM616

DM616

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

So let's just hope he's got a modchip lol, the only way to really test it as of now is tell him to hold the power button?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users