9 replies to this topic

#1 d8thstar

d8thstar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:08 AM

hey all,

i finally got around to soft modding my xbox with splinter cell (original day one release), or should i say trying to mod it.

i have all of the necessary files. i have copied the two splinter cell files to my memory card.

i am able to start the mod and back up both the files on my unmodded xbox. but when i go to install the softmod, it errors out with a rar error. it seems that it can't unrar the first app it's trying to install.

this of course causes my xbox to give me a red ring with screen text in multiple languages that the system need to be sent in for repair.

i am able to restore both original files from the backups (so glad i did that) so i can try again but it runs into the same issue over and over, that first file it can't unrar.

on my computer, i am able to open these files just fine so they aren't corrupt.

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks all, tony

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:14 AM

Which softmod are you using?

When you say "i am able to start the mod and back up both the files on my unmodded xbox", do you mean you can copy the files to the Xbox using the MS dash?

What exactly is the error message? Does it give you a file name? Does it happen as soon as you load the gamesave, or after you've selected one of the options? Which option did you select?

#3 d8thstar

d8thstar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 3 2010, 01:14 AM) View Post

Which softmod are you using?

When you say "i am able to start the mod and back up both the files on my unmodded xbox", do you mean you can copy the files to the Xbox using the MS dash?

What exactly is the error message? Does it give you a file name? Does it happen as soon as you load the gamesave, or after you've selected one of the options? Which option did you select?

apologies, instead of soft mod, i mean the splinter cell exploit.

to expand a bit, following the splinter cell exploit directions, i am able to...

step 3. load game, start "linux", the installer boots up fine.

step 4. i can "create C backup" just fine.

step 5. install the soft mod. here is where i run into problems. it starts, then bombs out real quick. when i look at the log, it errors out with the first app it is trying to unrar. from the log:

begin extracting "e:\udata\21585554\00000000000\files\apps.rar
unrar failed "e:\apps\dvd2xbox\acl".error code: 0
end unrar operation

the directions for the splinter cell exploit or pretty simple, not sure what is going wrong.

if anyone has any suggestions, i'm all ears

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:10 AM

WHICH softmod? There are loads of softmod installers that use the Splinter Cell gamesave exploit to launch their softmod installer.......

Actually, it probably doesn't matter - if you have an option to backup C then you're using an old one, and the wrong one. Get hold of Krayzie NDURE 1.1.1 installer, and start again.

Edited by Heimdall, 03 September 2010 - 02:10 AM.

#5 d8thstar

d8thstar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

thanks heimdall, all square now on this end, thank you for the suggestion.

i now have evoX installed using your suggested NDURE 1.1.1.

i have downloaded the XBMC installer deluxe disc with the add ons. i went thru the installer and added the apps/emus to my xbox which i can launch from evoX.

i would like to start up into XBMC itself but the only way i seem to be able to run it is by launching the DVD with evoX. i believe i have installed XBMC on my xbox but it doesn't start with the machine.

i have noticed on this installer disc that i can uninstall dashboards that i have on my C drive so i was thinking of uninstalling evoX, reinstalling XBMC in the hopes that it will make it my 'boot' dash.

you have any thoughts on that working or what, if any thing else, i could do to make XBMC my boot dash?

thanks a ton for your help!

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 3 2010, 02:10 AM) View Post

WHICH softmod? There are loads of softmod installers that use the Splinter Cell gamesave exploit to launch their softmod installer.......

Actually, it probably doesn't matter - if you have an option to backup C then you're using an old one, and the wrong one. Get hold of Krayzie NDURE 1.1.1 installer, and start again.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:29 PM

XBMC Installer Deluxe doesn't work with Krayzie without a little bit of tweaking after the event.

In a nutshell, run XBMC installer deluxe and install it as a dashboard on E:\

When you reboot nothing will have changed, except that you will have XBMC in E:\Apps\XBMC\, and there will be two new files on E:\ - evoxdash.xbe and evoxdash.cfg. These are shortcut files that run XBMC.

Make sure XBMC will run properly, and that you are happy with it.

Make sure that when you run E:\evoxdash.xbe it launches XBMC.

Once that's all sorted, rename the two shortcut files default.xbe and default.cfg, then copy them to E:\Dashboard\, overwriting the original default.xbe.

When you reboot you will have XBMC as your dash.

#7 d8thstar

d8thstar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:20 AM

my man heimdall, thank you! worked like a charm.

just a quick note on your instructions below (might help a future newbie)...

i rebooted and only had one of the two files you listed as shortcuts on my E: root, i had evoxdash.xbe but now evoxdash.cfg.

i took the one file i had, renamed it to default.xbe and moved into the folder you mentioned (via FTP) and it started in XBMC just as you mentioned.

i sincerely appreciate your help and patience

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 3 2010, 05:29 PM) View Post

XBMC Installer Deluxe doesn't work with Krayzie without a little bit of tweaking after the event.

In a nutshell, run XBMC installer deluxe and install it as a dashboard on E:\

When you reboot nothing will have changed, except that you will have XBMC in E:\Apps\XBMC\, and there will be two new files on E:\ - evoxdash.xbe and evoxdash.cfg. These are shortcut files that run XBMC.

Make sure XBMC will run properly, and that you are happy with it.

Make sure that when you run E:\evoxdash.xbe it launches XBMC.

Once that's all sorted, rename the two shortcut files default.xbe and default.cfg, then copy them to E:\Dashboard\, overwriting the original default.xbe.

When you reboot you will have XBMC as your dash.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:29 AM

Ah. There are two different XBMC shortcuts - one has 1 file, the other has two files. XBMC Installer Deluxe obviously uses the single file version, that's worth knowing.

Glad you got it working. smile.gif

#9 d8thstar

d8thstar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 4 2010, 01:29 AM) View Post

Glad you got it working. smile.gif

not as glad as i am, couldn't have done it without you, thanks again.

one last quick question on the XBMC install if i may. before instructing me to install it to the E: drive, i had tried to install it to the C: thinking it would overwrite the evoX dash i was using. now that XBMC is my primary dash, can i uninstall the one i installed on the C: drive? i would think so but being new to the xbox scene, thought it'd be better to be safe than sorry.

so excited to have this running! now i have a cheap media center box in my bedroom for all my shared videos.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

Yes, you can delete evoxdash.xbe from C:\.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users